DIY MD/SMS/Atari/C= to USB adapter

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

witchmaster
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

DIY MD/SMS/Atari/C= to USB adapter

Postby witchmaster » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:15 pm

I designed a simple to build Mega Drive, Genesis, Master System, Atari, C= controller adapter around the Arduino Pro Micro. The Arduino Pro Micro has very low latency when configured as a USB gamepad so it's well suited for these things. 3 and 6-button Mega Drive/Genesis gamepads are supported, also 1 and 2-button C=/Atari joysticks work along with Master System gamepads.

Source and build instructions can be found on GitHub: https://github.com/MickGyver/Mega-Drive ... SB-Adapter. Some fine tuning to the software might still be needed, works great with my 8BitDo M30 2.4GHz Mega Drive controller and TAC-2 joystick on MiSTer though.

I have a lot of extra of those extension connectors if anybody needs. I could sell a "kit" of the connector, switch and heat shrink tube for a couple of €uros.

BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: DIY MD/SMS/Atari/C= to USB adapter

Postby BBond007 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:37 pm

This is very cool...

I think it would be cool to use this in my A1200 MiSTer project (viewtopic.php?f=117&t=34703&start=75#p375012)

I have not yet connected the DB9s to anything...

Is it possible for this to read the additional buttons on the CD32 and Boomerang controllers? I think these additional buttons are read using a shift register.

Also, what is the switch used for? Is it necessary to have this switch accessible?

witchmaster

Re: DIY MD/SMS/Atari/C= to USB adapter

Postby witchmaster » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:43 am

BBond007 wrote:This is very cool...

I think it would be cool to use this in my A1200 MiSTer project (viewtopic.php?f=117&t=34703&start=75#p375012)

I have not yet connected the DB9s to anything...

Is it possible for this to read the additional buttons on the CD32 and Boomerang controllers? I think these additional buttons are read using a shift register.

Also, what is the switch used for? Is it necessary to have this switch accessible?

The switch is not a must, in one position (default when no switch installed), the Mega Drive / Genesis gamepads are fully supported, in the other position, a faster routine for reading 1 and 2-button joysticks is used. 1 and 2 button joysticks are also supported when the Genesis routine is active.

Making this exact version support CD32 gamepads is a bit tricky since the CD32 gamepad needs +5V on pin 7 instead of 5. I might actually make another version with support for up to two CD32/C=/Atari gamepads/joysticks.

Return to “MiSTer”