https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

bootsector
Retro freak
Retro freak

LLOAD - Open source joysticks adapter for MiSTer

Postby bootsector » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:38 pm

Hi there!

I've come up with an open source / open hardware solution for connecting joysticks to MiSTer:

https://github.com/bootsector/LLOAD

It supports the "Low Latency" protocol. Those LL lines are connected to hardware I2C on the uC so if things changes in the future, the adapter can still be used.

I'm waiting for the main prototype board to arrive for the initial tests. Taking a Neo Geo controller as input and outputing it as a XInput device should work right of the bat in the current state, at least.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: LLOAD - Open source joysticks adapter for MiSTer

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:08 pm

Do you use USER I/O port for i2c or connector used for RTC?

bootsector
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby bootsector » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:12 pm

I'm using USER I/O port as below:

D0/D1 and P2_D0/P2_D1 are connected to I2C lines in the uC (although those lines are currently being used as GPIO for LLAPI bitbanging).

Board also features 10K pull-ups on those lines.

nakedarthur
Atariator
Atariator

Postby nakedarthur » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:21 am

Nice, I was hoping someone would do something like this. I will be following :)

bootsector
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby bootsector » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:20 pm

Just pushed a commit with auto-detection of input cable adapters and several classic controllers drivers. Schematics for the cables are also provided. Still waiting for the PCBs to arrive from China for the tests. Will keep you guys posted!

bootsector
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby bootsector » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:45 pm

I've got a notification from the creator of the BlisSTer/BlissBox:
LLOAD is gone. I didn't know LLAPI protocol was copyrighted stuff.

Moderators, please lock this thread.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:50 pm

bootsector wrote:I've got a notification from the creator of the BlisSTer/BlissBox:
LLOAD is gone. I didn't know LLAPI protocol was copyrighted stuff.

This just assures me that MiSTer should not support this commercial products parasitising on opensource and alarming quite fast when someone wants to re-use theirs in open source.

ulao
Atarian
Atarian

BlisSter - comercial crap - full story.

Postby ulao » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:06 pm

So I feel some people may want to know some history and story. Also just addressing some dram that occurred today... Lock, delete, or hide if you must.

LLAPI (low level API) was originally designed by Bliss-Box for the sole purpose of communicating from a Bliss-Box device to the not yet released Bridge adapter. Its main intention was to communicate over existing USB lines in a non USB standard. This was simplly a lower level port to get to the existing API. Just so happens there were other LL's out there. The use of the acronym LL is merely a coincidence. Sometime after, Rysha came to me with the suggestion of using that very protocol with the MiSTer. We didn't really care about a license and crap because we both had a passion for gaming. At the time I didn't know what the MiSTer was all about. For me it was just cool someone was interested in something I had created. Then I go on to learn it was for gaming and more importantly a gaming system. At this point It was well understood that it would be open being this MiSTer community had that mentality. So I put in no restrictions other then attributions. We also knew the potential here and we developed it with much of this in mind. Rysha had a lot of influence on this communication and her attribution was instrumental and if you notice her name is plastered all over the Bliss-Box write-ups.

The use of protocol was and has always been intended (even before MiSTer integration) to be open and used in other projects. As with most all open source communities, mentioning other people’s works was always implied. Never did I think that would be overlooked here. I personally felt no license was needed and things would go smoothly being this community respects that concept. My company politics objected but I own it, and my word goes. So I considered this a joint effort with Rysha and me as opposed to a MiSter and Bliss-Box effort.

Bliss-Box is a company but there is a guy behind it and most of you have met him (me). This project was my first introduction to the MiSTer and I have to say it has me hooked. So my part is not cost gain here. Sure, the company needs sales to stay afloat but the MiSter community is not the source for that. I think it's more of a WOW look what we can do now. I put in a lot of work on my personal time with Rysha and hoping to add support for peripherals (i.e. zapper). Let's not look as it like what can MiSTer to for Bliss-Box because that is not the case at all. It is more about what can Bliss-Box do for the MiSTer. The board is not patented, and the protocol is open. They are just tools to continue development on a great project. I have been working with controllers since 2007 and I have contributed to many projects over the years. This is not mayflash, you can actually talk to the developer here.

So for clarification:

1) Bliss-Box makes no claim to restrict the use of this protocol.
2) Bliss-Box copyrights do not cover use of a protocol.
3) Bliss-box asks that the use of this work simple has a mention or attribution of the work being derived from Bliss-Box.

Note to Sorg: I very much appreciate your project. Your choice to add support or not add is yours without any question of a doubt. I and many others think adding the LLAPi would be amazing. Please don't let some "crap" Like a BlisSter get you down. Rysha wrote code that interfaces with the BlisSter sure but there is and never will be any restrictions over that protocol. It is very fast and requires only two lines. Again, I respect your decision as much as your project but don't let some sore coder kill it for everyone else. People here may hate each other but we all applaud your efforts.

My last point I want to clear up is this. If the MisSTer is a community that believes in open source, then take note that the drama that was cause on the 8th was because of a project using the protocol that had no mention of where it came. If you’re going enforce open source projects, then play by the rules or you will only upset the fabric we are all part of.

And finally, an apology on behalf of my company, companies are not like projects they have people that follow certain guidelines. If your project is being used and nothing is mentioned you may contact the offender or report to a DCMA of an infringement, etc, etc... In a company it's like a big f'n deal, even a small company. Everyone loses their minds and people that do not understand what things mean, will react.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: BlisSter - comercial crap - full story.

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:39 pm

Thanks for your opinion.
Thread is locked to prevent the flame and future dramas.

Return to “MiSTer”