Blisster board

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

warham
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Blisster board

Postby warham » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:33 am

I searched "blisster" with no results so I'm opening a thread. My board will arrive in two days and it would be nice to have some information about it from those that have them up and running.

bhamadicharef
Atariator
Atariator

Re: Blisster board

Postby bhamadicharef » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:33 am

You bought a board you don’t know the specifications/ features ?
Brahim HAMADI CHAREF:: Singapore

warham
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby warham » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:19 am

bhamadicharef wrote:You bought a board you don’t know the specifications/ features ?

Useful user experiences, quirks, BKM's, limitations etc.

nathanhardie
Atari User
Atari User

Postby nathanhardie » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:59 pm

Is that usb on the front of the blisster a 3.0 or a 2.0?

sofakng
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby sofakng » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:05 pm

The BlisSTer has:

• Inputs:
    • 5x USB 2.0 ports (input)
    • 2x LLAPI low-latency ports (via custom HDMI form factor adapters)
  • Outputs:
    • 1x USB 2.0 uplink (micro usb and pin headers)
    • 1x LLAPI output (via micro USB 3 port)

nathanhardie
Atari User
Atari User

Postby nathanhardie » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:58 am

I was quite interested in it until I saw all the extra wires. I'm wanting my MiSTer to look less like a Borg from Startrek.

How well do the orginal controllers work?

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:41 am

In Russia we have a good story about "Porridge from Axe". This Blisster is a good example of this story.
Old gamepads are not so universal as modern USB/Wireless gamepads.
Some cores require many buttons, other cores require analog axis. So if you expect to connect old Atari joystick with 1-2 buttons and expect it as enough, then you are wrong.
Buy a 8bitdo SN30Pro or SN30Pro+ gamepad. It has fantastic buttons and tactile feedback (better than original SNES gamepad) and all required digital and analog inputs. And it's much cheaper. It has several options to connect - wired USB, wireless BT, wireless through proprietary receiver.

With properly connected official MiSTer USB hub you won't get wires around. It will be slick and compact.

nathanhardie
Atari User
Atari User

Postby nathanhardie » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:03 pm

I have two of those controllers and honestly I don't like the d pads. I can never get the up to work playing Mike Tyson's PunchOut

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:24 pm

nathanhardie wrote:I have two of those controllers and honestly I don't like the d pads. I can never get the up to work playing Mike Tyson's PunchOut

dpad on 8bitdo is much better than original NES/SNES gamepads.
If you prefer separate dpad buttons, then DualShock 3/4 are another best in their class gamepads.

nathanhardie
Atari User
Atari User

Postby nathanhardie » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:00 pm

Personally, I've never liked the play station d pads. (I loved my ps 1 though) Honestly, my favorite is the one Nintendo uses for the Wii and 3DS. The 8bitdos are too stiff for me.

I still like the orginal d pad too. But that's probably a super bias opinion. And the Dreamcast d pad I like.

Sorgelig your the best! Thank you for all the work you do!

Dubon
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Dubon » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:31 pm

Personally i would buy this if it got official support as it would allow me to use supergun wired arcade sticks over db15.
For people building an arcade cabinet with mister this would be a much cleaner solution then hacking in a usb interface.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:44 pm

USB is exactly much cleaner and universal solution than mess with tons of incompatible interfaces with couple of users per each.

hyperterminal
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby hyperterminal » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:03 pm

Sorgelig wrote:USB is exactly much cleaner and universal solution than mess with tons of incompatible interfaces with couple of users per each.

I agree that USB is much more universal especially as original controllers in good conditions (e.g. PC Engine 6 Button Pad) are getting scarce and expensive. On the other hand - and I know Sorgelig you don't want to hear this - add-on boards like BliSTer have the additional benefit of the LLAPI low-latency ports (< 1ms input latency compared to 8 ms input latency with USB @ 125 Hz polling rate). In the end, this might lead to less and more consistent input lag, when there are more situations where processing of the input is possible during the same frame and not postponed to the next (at 60 Hz 1 frame corresponds to about 16,67 seconds). This would of course be much less relevant if MiSTer would support higher input polling rates for USB controllers (250 Hz polling rate would already be a great improvement).

Dubon
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Dubon » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:14 pm

hyperterminal wrote:
Sorgelig wrote:USB is exactly much cleaner and universal solution than mess with tons of incompatible interfaces with couple of users per each.

I agree that USB is much more universal especially as original controllers in good conditions (e.g. PC Engine 6 Button Pad) are getting scarce and expensive. On the other hand - and I know Sorgelig you don't want to hear this - add-on boards like BliSTer have the additional benefit of the LLAPI low-latency ports (< 1ms input latency compared to 8 ms input latency with USB @ 125 Hz polling rate). In the end, this might lead to less and more consistent input lag, when there are more situations where processing of the input is possible during the same frame and not postponed to the next (at 60 Hz 1 frame corresponds to about 16,67 seconds). This would of course be much less relevant if MiSTer would support higher input polling rates for USB controllers (250 Hz polling rate would already be a great improvement).

Usb input latency also occurs on the controller side, where some pcbs are noticably faster at encoding then others, so not all latency issues can be resolved by increasing the polling rate on the mister side afaik.

xzarian
Atarian
Atarian

Postby xzarian » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:46 am

I jumped the gun and bought a BlisSTer as I didn't have the usb board anyway. I really don't like wireless, too much lag and interference. I am very sensitive to input lag. Not good for doing speed runs imo. The convenience is nice though if I'm just chilling playing an rpg.

I also don't like the feel of the 8bitdo snes style controllers, they just don't feel right to me. I've bought most of the versions in hopes of one I'd like.

I do like the 8bitdo m30 though, the 2.4g wireless is pretty good, but that only works with db9. I did see they are releasing a 2.4g usb dongle which is nice.

Now you do have to use cores with added LLAPI support if you do buy this board, so keep that in mind. Maybe whoever is maintaining those cores decides to move on and now you're stuck with outdated cores. Also, not every core has support, no arcade cores are supported.

Great thing about MiSTer is all the options available. :cheers:

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:00 am

Ok. Opinions are old and discussed till dead.

Return to “MiSTer”