NeoGeo topic

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Threepwood
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Re: NeoGeo topic

Postby Threepwood » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:44 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Darksoft pack includes ALL officially released AES/MVS games. And it works right away. There is no point to waste your time to convert the ROMs already included in that pack.

Some of us like to use legally obtained ROMs and go the extra mile to make it work. That is all I will say to how you are handling the release of the Neo Geo core.

brNX
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby brNX » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:05 pm

Threepwood wrote:
Sorgelig wrote:Darksoft pack includes ALL officially released AES/MVS games. And it works right away. There is no point to waste your time to convert the ROMs already included in that pack.

Some of us like to use legally obtained ROMs and go the extra mile to make it work. That is all I will say to how you are handling the release of the Neo Geo core.

It's funny that people get criticized when they share their opinion, imho it's a waste of time to go through hoops only to feel better with yourself when the end result is the same. All the tools are available to convert your own roms, so go ahead and do it.

:cheers:

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:24 pm

yoshi41 wrote:That's interesting. I have garbled graphics with all games I have tested which require 64GB. For instance Shock Troopers 2, Metal Slug X, Sengoku 3. Other games requiring only 32MB run fine.

did you update the Menu core and MiSTer binary to the latest as requested in release notes? Or ignored?

ZEENPR
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby ZEENPR » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:48 pm

I was doing the directory structure wrong. I was using the _NEOGEO with all files on it. Using "_" at the front for the folder to be visible.

My current working directory files locations for the Neo Geo Core.

Bios files, XML
fat\neogeo\

Games
fat\neogeo\games\games folders

Core file in.
fat\_console\

Thank you all.

Lightwave wrote:From what I can tell, any game that shows up as a folder in the Neo-Geo core’s browser (rather than as a selectable ROM) is not being recognized properly. Since it is romsets.xml that determines what ROMs are recognized, the only thing I can think of is that perhaps the file was downloaded incorrectly from GitHub? Is your game folder exactly “NEOGEO”?

Torgo
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Torgo » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:09 pm

Got everything up and running, and the core is performing wonderfully! Thanks to those involved for all of their hard work. This is really cool!

LarsDragon
Atari User
Atari User

Postby LarsDragon » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:10 pm

I understand that this may be insignificant, but I think that the vertical alignment on analog output 15khz is not correct, it is shifted down and normally cuts the credit information. I know it can be adjusted with the geometry of the TV, but in my original NeoGeo console this does not happen, ¿perhaps the vblank is not well adjusted?.

ReedSolomon
Atari User
Atari User

Postby ReedSolomon » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:24 pm

Threepwood wrote:

I mean more power to you for doing things by the book, and if you succeed that's great and good to know, if down the line scripts are made to automate the task even better, but for now the mister core works with the converted darksoft roms and that's the simplest and recommended option.

If anyone wants to add support for easily reading/loading legally obtained ROM's or mame roms to the core I'm sure it'd be welcome.

yoshi41
Atariator
Atariator

Postby yoshi41 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:27 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
yoshi41 wrote:That's interesting. I have garbled graphics with all games I have tested which require 64GB. For instance Shock Troopers 2, Metal Slug X, Sengoku 3. Other games requiring only 32MB run fine.

did you update the Menu core and MiSTer binary to the latest as requested in release notes? Or ignored?

I think I saw something like pre-reqs, but can't find it anymore. Should it be in the readme? However, I use "MiSTer V190820, OS v190627".

PS: I'm in touch with the seller of my MiSTer. He sent me an older neogeo.rbf he compiled a couple of days ago. This works with the bigger games, no glitches. Now waiting for another version from him with the latest sources.

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:47 pm

"- NeoGeo: support for zipped ROMs."

Is there a special trick to getting "zipped" roms to work? .. do they need to be in 7z format? or all in one massive zip file? I have tried zipping a rom folder (say "nitd" {which works fine unzipped| and getting "nitd.zip" ) which then won't work as nitd.zip ..

I have tried zipping the rom folder (on the mister itself via the terminal, and from my PC and sftp'ing it over) and the resultant zip file doesn't run in the core .. (unzipping it then it runs just fine).. so I am guessing I am doing something fundamentally wrong.. and even for laughs I tried zipping the individual files in the rom folder to see if maybe that was it (it wasn't)..

antoniovillena
Atari User
Atari User

Postby antoniovillena » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:20 pm

Hi. I am the seller who mention yoshi41. I have recompiled the latest core with these lines:

Code: Select all

wire sdr_pri_cpsel = 1;//(~sdr_cpaddr[26] | sdr_pri_128_64[1]) & (~sdr_cpaddr[25] | sdr_pri_128_64[0]);
    wire sdr_pri_sel = 1;//(~sdram_addr[26] | sdr_pri_128_64[1]) & (~sdram_addr[25] | sdr_pri_128_64[0]);

To disable the dual sdram stuff. And the core works without glitches. Probably there is a bug into the sdr_pri_128_64 generation. Attached generated .rbf

yoshi41
Atariator
Atariator

Postby yoshi41 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:32 pm

antoniovillena wrote:Hi. I am the seller who mention yoshi41. I have recompiled the latest core with these lines:

wire sdr_pri_cpsel = 1;//(~sdr_cpaddr[26] | sdr_pri_128_64[1]) & (~sdr_cpaddr[25] | sdr_pri_128_64[0]);
    wire sdr_pri_sel = 1;//(~sdram_addr[26] | sdr_pri_128_64[1]) & (~sdram_addr[25] | sdr_pri_128_64[0]);

To disable the dual sdram stuff. And the core works without glitches. Probably there is a bug into the sdr_pri_128_64 generation. Attached generated .rbf

Thanks a lot Antonio! :D

Glad it was not a stupid mistake on my side. You never know. Sometimes the bug sits in front of the screen. :wink:

djsquare
Atari User
Atari User

Postby djsquare » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:30 pm

When using the free unibios 3.3, is there a way to save the default boot mode from Europe/Console to something else. It's really not that big of a deal, but it would be nice to not have to press A+B+C every time at boot to change it. I like to use USA/Arcade for MVS mode. On a real MVS (MV-1F) arcade I have in the garage, the older 3.2 unibios saves every time I change the boot mode.

yoshi41
Atariator
Atariator

Postby yoshi41 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:09 pm

There are few sound glitches in Thrash Rally. In the countdown sequence "2, 1, START" of World Championship mode, the beep for "1" is missing. Also during gameplay, a certain tone/sequence is (loudly) distorted.

PS: I play mostly on a CRT. Such a crystal clear picture and fast loading times. It feels like a flashcart 2.0. Really nice. 8)

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:16 pm

antoniovillena wrote:Hi. I am the seller who mention yoshi41. I have recompiled the latest core with these lines:

No need to hack and vandalize what is working!

Release notes clearly say: update to latest Menu and MiSTer binary! It will detect the SDRAM size. After that it will work as it should.

antoniovillena
Atari User
Atari User

Postby antoniovillena » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:39 pm

Sorgelig wrote:

No need to hack and vandalize what is working!

Release notes clearly say: update to latest Menu and MiSTer binary! It will detect the SDRAM size. After that it will work as it should.

Confirmed. After update Menu and MiSTer both NeoGeo_20190907 and NeoGeo_20190908 works without glitches

pacodelucia
Atarian
Atarian

Postby pacodelucia » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:44 pm

TillDawn wrote:
ZEENPR wrote:I have all the files required in the Neo Geo folder And downloaded the Neo Geo Roll-Up BETA 3.1 2019-03-04 and extracted the games. For some reason when I try to open the game Roms I only see the games folders empty.

I have the exact same problem. Folder NEOGEO is in the root of the SD card. It contains the individual game folders (Neo Geo Roll-Up Beta 3.1), all necessary files (000-lo.lo, sfix.sfix, sp-s2.sp1, neo-epo.sp1, uni-bios.rom), all of which check out via SHA1, and the romset.xml. Its content clearly refers to the game folders. The core seems to load fine (I see 59.2 Hz frequency, for instance), but loading a ROM only shows empty game folders. I am sure that I am making some dumb mistake here...

I had this exact same issue. Updating the Mister and menu software to latest version fixed it up right away. :cheers:

ZEENPR
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby ZEENPR » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:20 am

I can load the game roms now but with green screen error "Exception error handling illegal instruction address:00000004" and graphic glitches. :oops:

xzarian
Atarian
Atarian

Postby xzarian » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:30 am

Sprogus wrote:
LarsDragon wrote:
Sprogus wrote:I've been playing around with this core for a while few hours now and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I'm using uni-bios 3.3 and using the darksoft rom pack. When booting a rom, I'll either get a white screen or an exception error handling screen.

In addition to using the uni-bios I have tried sp-s2.sp1 (MVS) and neo-epo.sp1 (AES). Same sort of results.

Is there something I'm supposed to do with the roms before they will load? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You must copy the roms from Samba not FTP, the same problem happened to me :shrug: .

Thanks! That sorted it out. What a weird issue.

Wow, I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out why no games would load. I transferred everything using FileZilla ftp client, which is set to Auto, not binary. So strange because I always used ftp to transfer roms and never had any issues before. Thanks for the tip!

WhenDookieCalls
Atarian
Atarian

Postby WhenDookieCalls » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:39 am

I copied the core, bios and roms as directed in the Readme, but when attempting to load a rom I just see the text "000-lo.lo ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛" in the upper-left corner, then a blank white screen:

Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? I tried using a 000-lo.lo file from a couple different sources but the result is always the same.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:16 am

ZEENPR wrote:I can load the game roms now but with green screen error "Exception error handling illegal instruction address:00000004" and graphic glitches. :oops:

I had the exact same issue. I fixed it by re-transferring all files with Filezilla under SFTP/SSH protocol instead of regular FTP. You can also use Samba or WinSCP.

ZEENPR
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby ZEENPR » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:35 am

This fixed the last issue for me. Thank you :D

Newsdee wrote:
ZEENPR wrote:I can load the game roms now but with green screen error "Exception error handling illegal instruction address:00000004" and graphic glitches. :oops:

I had the exact same issue. I fixed it by re-transferring all files with Filezilla under SFTP/SSH protocol instead of regular FTP. You can also use Samba or WinSCP.

cyborc
Atarian
Atarian

Postby cyborc » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:49 am

Posting here in case anyone else has this issue...

I was getting corrupted graphics with every ROM, even the 32MB ones. It was basically identical to the corruption you get if you try to play a ROM that requires more SDRAM than you have on your board.

It turns out my 000-lo.lo file was incorrect. Make sure you use the one that's SHA-1 = 5992277DEBADEB64D1C1C64B0A92D9293EAF7E4A and it should work.

jpxdude
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby jpxdude » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:43 am

Wow, this is amazing. A remarkable achievement, and plays wonderfully! Congratulations to everyone involved.

I had the white screen errors initially. The issue around this seems to be regarding the type of ROM's being used. It appears to work specifically with the ones compiled by Darksoft only.

paulbnl
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby paulbnl » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:08 am

LarsDragon wrote:I understand that this may be insignificant, but I think that the vertical alignment on analog output 15khz is not correct, it is shifted down and normally cuts the credit information. I know it can be adjusted with the geometry of the TV, but in my original NeoGeo console this does not happen, ¿perhaps the vblank is not well adjusted?.

Can you post some comparison pictures between MiSTer and your NeoGeo console?

aristogeiton
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby aristogeiton » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:43 am

I am getting poor performance over composite. Other cores look fine. Vertical separation/ghosting. No settings seem to change it. See attached. Particularly visible in the text.

Return to “MiSTer”