NeoGeo topic

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

zomgugoff
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Re: NeoGeo topic

Postby zomgugoff » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:59 am

berighteous wrote:Alexey said "It's compatible with MAME. But it needs a lot of preparation. So basically it's correct. Darksoft has all officially released ROMs, so there is no point for MAME unless you looking for some hacks or mods" :shrug:

The only point newcomers may run into with using Darksoft roms is that the distribution is very limited. You have to know where to go to download the pack and they don't distribute using torrents. The only working links right now are from Filefactory and another direct link listed in the discussion thread. Both only go about 60-80KB/s, unless you pay for premium with Filefactory. That may be a minor point of contention, but 2.5GB at 80KB/s is around 12 hours to download (unless you are willing to pay).

yoshi41
Atari User
Atari User

Postby yoshi41 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:25 pm

Many thanks to all contributors. Great work. MiSTer rocks. 8)

Regarding ROM format.

I don't have that Darksoft ROM pack yet. But there's a more or less straight forward way to convert at least non-encrypted MAME ROMs.

Here's the description about "How to build game romsets":

https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/ ... lp-thread/

It's basically renaming and concatenating files. Just the CROMs have to be word-swapped using the attached Python script before concatenating.

I did it for a couple of games, but it's a bit tedious. Looks like Darksoft was too lazy to create a proper utility and everybody seems to rely on this ROM pack from file sharing sites.

Couldn't find a utility yet to decrypt the scrambled ROMs.

yoshi41
Atari User
Atari User

Postby yoshi41 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:52 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Those who have stripes on NeoGeo jingle screen and unusual corruption (not to confuse with some specific game problem!) try this version:
NeoGeo.zip

Thanks! :D

This version solved vertical stripes for me. Very visible in Thrash Rally and Robo Army for example.

insanewayne253
Atarian
Atarian

Postby insanewayne253 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:52 pm

Downloaded, played, took a break for some food and beverages, played more. Metal Slug 1 and 2 are silky smooth. Magician Lord is awesome on a PVM, played Nam 75 and Blues Journey, and played a few rounds of Baseball Stars 2. What an accomplishment. Can’t wait for the 128 to play the bigger games.

To all who worked on this. Thank you, Gracias, Spasiba!!! :D

bazza12
Atariator
Atariator

Postby bazza12 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:31 pm

absolutely blown away by the neogeo core.. many many thanks to all involved.. :D :D

Threepwood
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Threepwood » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:30 pm

This is an outstanding achievement and you have my praise for getting a first version of a Neo Geo working on a FPGA.

Sadly, so far I could not get a game to run as I am using a ROM-Pack that can be purchased here: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/neog ... collection

The games come with a neogeo.zip that contains the BIOS files for MVS and the ROM itself in zips. For example, Metal Slug contains a mslug.zip that is made up of the files: 201-c1.c1, 201-c2.c2, 201-c3.c3, 201-c4.c4, 201-m1.m1, 201-p1.p1, 201-s1.s1, 201-v1.v1, 201-v2.v2

I tried merging the files as per a howto given on https://www.arcade-projects.com including their (very barebone) Python-Script. No luck so far, I can't get past the BIOS screen (universe-BIOS and original MVS-BIOS).

Has anybody got the ROMs from this anniversary collection working?
2x MiSTer FPGA: [Official Stormtrooper Case, USB Hub 2.1 with Bridge Board, 128MB SDRAM, ADC, RTC 1.3, I/O v5.5] + [3D printed MiSTer XS Case v2, 128MB SDRAM, I/O v5.6 XL]

arit
Atarian
Atarian

Postby arit » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:59 pm

Using a mame romset I converted breakrev, fatfursp, mslug, mslug2, neodrift, samsho, samsho2, turfmast, wjammers.
From those only Fatal Fury, Metal Slug 2, Samurai Spirits and Wind Jammers start.

All others fail with Backup Ram Error (or bluescreen with unibios), though that might just simply be an incompatibility with the romset.
The checksums for the proms differ between the the darksoft pack (https://github.com/SmokeMonsterPacks/Ev ... 20SMDB.txt) and my mame set I guess this could also be the case for the humblebundle roms. I don't think that those were encrypted roms (which might be false).

Metal Slug 2 triggers the copy protection when the system is set to Arcade via mister, it does not do so when it is set to Home (sing the unibios).

Piacenti
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Piacenti » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:17 pm

It seems I messed up with the MVS settings (pressing B+C+D at the same time before boot) for Metal Slug 2 and I think it become corrupt, now when I try to boot it I get this and cannot proceed.

Any tips? Tried everything except formating the card. It only happens with this game. All others boot fine.

Imagenatwest atm locator

Sorgelig wrote:Those who have stripes on NeoGeo jingle screen and unusual corruption (not to confuse with some specific game problem!) try this version:
NeoGeo.zip

Perfection! Corruption is gone for good!

Threepwood
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Threepwood » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:23 pm

arit wrote:Using a mame romset I converted breakrev [...].

Thanks for the quick response, Arit. Indeed, I got Metal Slug 2 to run in AES Mode, but without sound.

Piacenti wrote:Any tips? Tried everything except formating the card. It only happens with this game. All others boot fine.

in the OSD set the Neo Geo Core to "AES", not "MVS"
2x MiSTer FPGA: [Official Stormtrooper Case, USB Hub 2.1 with Bridge Board, 128MB SDRAM, ADC, RTC 1.3, I/O v5.5] + [3D printed MiSTer XS Case v2, 128MB SDRAM, I/O v5.6 XL]

brunosilva
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby brunosilva » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:24 pm

yoshi41 wrote:Couldn't find a utility yet to decrypt the scrambled ROMs.

mame does this on the fly...

if anyone could take a look @ mame sources and create a small tool to decrypt roms i will be apreciated...

Thanks

yoshi41
Atari User
Atari User

Postby yoshi41 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:26 pm

Converting the games from MAME is far from ideal (as stated in the readme) and probably only feasible to mess around until you have thiz ROM pack.

Easiest way is to google for cDq3hkYp. :wink: Prepare for a loooooong wait time. :coffe:

Piacenti
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Piacenti » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:26 pm

Threepwood wrote:
arit wrote:Using a mame romset I converted breakrev [...].

Thanks for the quick response, Arit. Indeed, I got Metal Slug 2 to run in AES Mode, but without sound.

Piacenti wrote:Any tips? Tried everything except formating the card. It only happens with this game. All others boot fine.

in the OSD set the Neo Geo Core to "AES", not "MVS"

Worked. So Metal Slug 2 only runs in AES mode?
Last edited by Piacenti on Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Threepwood
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Threepwood » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:34 pm

arit wrote:[...] I don't think that those were encrypted roms (which might be false). [...]

If I understand it correctly only the games in this list should be encrypted: https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=CHAFIO

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:39 pm

Threepwood wrote:If I understand it correctly only the games in this list should be encrypted: https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=CHAFIO

Not only. There are several other chips with encryptions.

paulbnl
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby paulbnl » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:40 pm

arit wrote:Using a mame romset I converted breakrev, fatfursp, mslug, mslug2, neodrift, samsho, samsho2, turfmast, wjammers.
From those only Fatal Fury, Metal Slug 2, Samurai Spirits and Wind Jammers start.

Metal Slug has a 2MB prom. I found out you need to reverse the top and bottom 1MB half and then it works.

Threepwood
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Threepwood » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:52 pm

paulbnl wrote:Metal Slug has a 2MB prom. I found out you need to reverse the top and bottom 1MB half and then it works.

True, splitting the file and merging it reversed Metal Slug works, but for me, no sound here either. Am I missing something obvious?

lolof
Atariator
Atariator

Postby lolof » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:38 pm

With the core from yesterday, I have a lot of graphical glitches. Even the "NeoGeo" logo at boot has graphical glitches before it start rotating.

On previous unofficial realise, I did not had this that much. My MiSTer is uptodate.

Am I the only one ? I ask this because I am only reading positive feedback here :(

SegaMan
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby SegaMan » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:43 pm

@lolof

There is a core update from Sorgelig on the first page of this topic that fixed that.

viewtopic.php?f=117&t=37396#p380958

update:

New Core released! :mrgreen:

Sorgelig is like Flash.... faster than light! :cheers:

lolof
Atariator
Atariator

Postby lolof » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:57 pm

Oh yes, faster than light...
I try the other one yesterday evening :-)

Thanks, I will try it.

yoshi41
Atari User
Atari User

Postby yoshi41 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:34 pm

Blazing Star has garbled graphic in the intro sequence, gameplay is fine. Tested with NeoGeo_20190908.rbf in AES/MVS mode with stock and Uni BIOS using VGA->SCART.

brNX
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby brNX » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:42 pm

yoshi41 wrote:Blazing Star has garbled graphic in the intro sequence, gameplay is fine. Tested with NeoGeo_20190908.rbf in AES/MVS mode with stock and Uni BIOS using VGA->SCART.

Are you using more than 32MB sdram ? it's in the <!-- ROMs requiring 64MB SDRAM --> category : https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/NeoGeo_ ... s.xml#L174

Piacenti
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Piacenti » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:52 pm

All fixed here after new update. OSD menu no longer flashes, cold reboot seems fine, not losing HDMI signal anymore. Thank you so much!!!

Also no more graphical corruption on NG core too, it’s awesome now!

yoshi41
Atari User
Atari User

Postby yoshi41 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:36 pm

brNX wrote:
yoshi41 wrote:Blazing Star has garbled graphic in the intro sequence, gameplay is fine. Tested with NeoGeo_20190908.rbf in AES/MVS mode with stock and Uni BIOS using VGA->SCART.

Are you using more than 32MB sdram ? it's in the <!-- ROMs requiring 64MB SDRAM --> category : https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/NeoGeo_ ... s.xml#L174

I have the "SDRAM XXS 64Mb" board. Mb is a bit confusing, I assume it's megabytes not megabits.

EDIT: I have graphic glitches with several games that require 64GB RAM. Wondering if it's my setup, the SDRAM board, the core or something else?

Piacenti
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Piacenti » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:20 pm

yoshi41 wrote:
brNX wrote:

I have the "SDRAM XXS 64Mb" board. Mb is a bit confusing, I assume it's megabytes not megabits.

EDIT: I have graphic glitches with several games that require 64GB RAM. Wondering if it's my setup, the SDRAM board, the core or something else?

Did you update the core today? There’s a new version fixing those.

yoshi41
Atari User
Atari User

Postby yoshi41 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:38 pm

Piacenti wrote:
yoshi41 wrote:
brNX wrote:Are you using more than 32MB sdram ? it's in the <!-- ROMs requiring 64MB SDRAM --> category : https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/NeoGeo_ ... s.xml#L174

Did you update the core today? There’s a new version fixing those.

Yes, I use the version 20190908 from today, uploaded 3 hours ago.

Return to “MiSTer”