Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

drj3rk
Atariator
Atariator

Re: NeoGeo topic

Postby drj3rk » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:43 pm

Newsdee wrote:I use the Neo-Geo-Dapter from this page:
http://www.2600-daptor.com/

I can also vouch for "Daptors" working well. I don't use the Neo-Geo one, but I do use the db9 ones for Bally Astrocade controllers. They work flawlessly, and they are well supported.

Threepwood
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Threepwood » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:17 am

Yesterday I noticed graphical glitches in the second stage of Blazing Star. The animated background of a previous scene would overlap the current background in a few vertical stripes. If it happens again I will see if I can get a screenshot.

theimporter
Atari User
Atari User

Postby theimporter » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:58 pm

There seems to be SFX and Voice drops in many games. In KoF2000, the cursor section noise drops 1 out of 3 times. I tried with both HDMI sound and Analog output from the IO board, same thing. I also tried with both the Stereo mix option at 50% and None, no difference.

I'm using NeoGeo_20191014 BTW.

ghogan42
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby ghogan42 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:43 am

theimporter wrote:There seems to be SFX and Voice drops in many games. In KoF2000, the cursor section noise drops 1 out of 3 times. I tried with both HDMI sound and Analog output from the IO board, same thing. I also tried with both the Stereo mix option at 50% and None, no difference.

I'm using NeoGeo_20191014 BTW.

greyrogue has been steadily making fixes for issues like this. Whenever he's done and a new release comes out, many of the sound issues will be fixed.

Check the github to see what he's committed so far: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/NeoGeo_ ... its/master

yoshi41
Atari User
Atari User

Postby yoshi41 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:00 pm

yoshi41 wrote:
yoshi41 wrote:There are few sound glitches in Thrash Rally. In the countdown sequence "2, 1, START" of World Championship mode, the beep for "1" is missing. Also during gameplay, a certain tone/sequence is (loudly) distorted.

EDIT: The (loudly) distorted sound effect in music is audible twice at the beginning of the gameplay intro sequence.

Similar sound glitch in Mutation Nation. In AES console mode, the game intro starts with "20XX" and "SLUM". The sound effect for the second "X", "L" and "M" are missing. This happens only in console mode, since arcade mode has a different intro. Tested with stock and Universal BIOS.

These issues are fixed with new release 20191113. Thanks! 8)

theimporter
Atari User
Atari User

Postby theimporter » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:42 pm

yoshi41 wrote:
yoshi41 wrote:
yoshi41 wrote:There are few sound glitches in Thrash Rally. In the countdown sequence "2, 1, START" of World Championship mode, the beep for "1" is missing. Also during gameplay, a certain tone/sequence is (loudly) distorted.

EDIT: The (loudly) distorted sound effect in music is audible twice at the beginning of the gameplay intro sequence.

Similar sound glitch in Mutation Nation. In AES console mode, the game intro starts with "20XX" and "SLUM". The sound effect for the second "X", "L" and "M" are missing. This happens only in console mode, since arcade mode has a different intro. Tested with stock and Universal BIOS.

These issues are fixed with new release 20191113. Thanks! 8)

Mike drop moment I guess :lol:

normal19
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby normal19 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:07 pm

The new version fixed the music issues in Twinkle star sprites and it doesnt even drop sfx in the last stages when the game starts to slow down from sprite overload. Thx for everyone who helped

Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paradroyd » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:54 am

There used to be annoying breaks in the music in "Nightmare in the Dark". As of the 11/13 update, the sound seems to be working flawlessly now.

Thanks to everyone working on this!
- Paradroyd
@paradroyd on Twitter, @paradroyd@mastodon.sdf.org on Mastodon

ganondork
Atarian
Atarian

Postby ganondork » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:47 am

Hey there! Just installed my SDRAM Extension and everything is working really great. Incredible results indeed. The only thing that is very irritating right now is the behaviour of the Neogeo core. There is sometimes a flickering or a flash, like the system pausing or rewinding for the fracture of a second.
And there is also some picture noise flashing,
just a few red or white pixels. This also happens in the menu right after booting the core, before loading any rom. It happens with any rom, also
with small ones from Neogeos first generation, so I don‘t think the issue is related to the SDRAM.

I‘m using Vsycn to core, and it’s working great für SNES and MD / Genesis. Mister core, menu core and Neogeo core are recent versions, downloaded from updater.

These flashes happen every few seconds, between these there is smooth scrolling, so I don‘t thinl it is vsync related.

What is this? Googled for a while and did not find anything :(

Dubon
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Dubon » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:12 pm

I would try first with vsync adjust 1 or 0 , and do a memorytest for ram.
Keep in mind every core has a different framerate, so its not because your display works with vsync adjust 2 for one core that it will work for another.
Also make sure youve updated to the latest release. There was an update for neo geo today.

ganondork
Atarian
Atarian

Postby ganondork » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:22 pm

Thank you so much. vsync 0 did the trick, everything is working perfectly fine now. Awesome project, awesome community!

rittwage
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby rittwage » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:35 am

I just updated my MiSTer and now all NeoGeo games say either "CALENDAR ERROR" in MVS mode, or "BACKUP RAM ERROR" in AES mode.
It does this with standard BIOS, but work with UniBIOS. Is this just due to an update?

EDIT: I see now I can set DIP switch and set the clock and fix it...

jca
Atari User
Atari User

Postby jca » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:48 pm

I recently decided to redo my SD card to do a major cleanup and also to make good use of the /media/fat/games subdirectories.
With my old setup I had a NEOGEO directory in /media/fat where I put the bios files, the xml file and all game subdirectories.
This time I put everything in /media/fat/games/NeoGeo but it does not work. Do I have to bring back everything in /media/fat/NEoGeo, only the bios and xml files?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jean-Claude

Lightwave
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Lightwave » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:14 am

jca wrote:I recently decided to redo my SD card to do a major cleanup and also to make good use of the /media/fat/games subdirectories.
With my old setup I had a NEOGEO directory in /media/fat where I put the bios files, the xml file and all game subdirectories.
This time I put everything in /media/fat/games/NeoGeo but it does not work. Do I have to bring back everything in /media/fat/NEoGeo, only the bios and xml files?

Jean-Claude

I have Unibios, romsets.xml and games all under \games\NEOGEO and everything works fine.

jca
Atari User
Atari User

Postby jca » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:11 am

Lightwave wrote:
jca wrote:I recently decided to redo my SD card to do a major cleanup and also to make good use of the /media/fat/games subdirectories.

Jean-Claude

I have Unibios, romsets.xml and games all under \games\NEOGEO and everything works fine.

Thanks for the info. What I think I did wrong was to put everything like you did because I went back to my previous SD card and in the "root" NEOGEO directory I had the BIOS and the Xml in the directory but the games were in a games subdirectory of that NEOGEO directory. What I did before reading your post was to put back everything like it was at the beginning with the NEOGEO directory in the "root" directory. Now I should be able to move everything under \games\NEOGEO while keeping the structure of my original directory: BIOS and Xml in \games\NEOGEO and the games in \games\NEOGEO\games.

Jean-Claude

Piacenti
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Piacenti » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:36 am

With the latest core update (yesterday) my screen is flashing once in about 5 seconds. It was perfect before the update. Using HDMI, vsync adjust 2, 1080p.

BassKnight
Atarian
Atarian

Postby BassKnight » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:27 am

11/25 update still shows the red warning in Kizuna Encounter, when trying to play in MVS mode with original BIOS.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:51 am

BassKnight wrote:11/25 update still shows the red warning in Kizuna Encounter, when trying to play in MVS mode with original BIOS.

cannot confirm. No red warning for me. Works fine in MVS with original BIOS.

BassKnight
Atarian
Atarian

Postby BassKnight » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:44 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
BassKnight wrote:11/25 update still shows the red warning in Kizuna Encounter, when trying to play in MVS mode with original BIOS.

cannot confirm. No red warning for me. Works fine in MVS with original BIOS.

Noticed I had a savefile for Kizuna Encounter, most likely from UniBIOS. Deleted it, loaded the game again and the red warning is gone :D

Thanks for your reply.

BassKnight
Atarian
Atarian

Postby BassKnight » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:06 pm

Fatal Fury 3 crashes when loading. On original BIOS it gets stuck on a black screen. On UniBIOS it shows the following error:

https://imgur.com/a/QIeU9qo

On AES mode works fine.

yoshi41
Atari User
Atari User

Postby yoshi41 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:16 pm

BassKnight wrote:Fatal Fury 3 crashes when loading. On original BIOS it gets stuck on a black screen. On UniBIOS it shows the following error:

https://imgur.com/a/QIeU9qo

On AES mode works fine.

If you unplug the memory card, it will also start in MVS mode.

This game is a bit special. I did a couple of tests with NeoSD. On AES, it behaves strange when starting in MVS mode (garbled FBI screen), while it runs fine on a MVS in AES mode. :lol:

yoshi41
Atari User
Atari User

Postby yoshi41 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:37 pm

I use the update script since a while, to keep everything updated and in sync. I really like it!

Now I recognized there's a new folder "games", in my case with "NeoGeo" and "GameBoy" subdirectories.

I didn't know about the "games" folder and was wondering whether there's a separate thread for such changes?

Will this "games" folder be used in the future for all cores?

In case of NeoGeo it's confusing. Since I just updated everthing with the script, I didn't recognize this new folder. It looks like some files are still picked up from the old "/media/fat/NeoGeo" folder (games and UniBIOS), while stock BIOS is only recognized in "/media/fat/games/NeoGeo".

jca
Atari User
Atari User

Postby jca » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:34 pm

yoshi41 wrote:I use the update script since a while, to keep everything updated and in sync. I really like it!

Now I recognized there's a new folder "games", in my case with "NeoGeo" and "GameBoy" subdirectories.

I didn't know about the "games" folder and was wondering whether there's a separate thread for such changes?

Will this "games" folder be used in the future for all cores?

In case of NeoGeo it's confusing. Since I just updated everthing with the script, I didn't recognize this new folder. It looks like some files are still picked up from the old "/media/fat/NeoGeo" folder (games and UniBIOS), while stock BIOS is only recognized in "/media/fat/games/NeoGeo".

I also discovered this game folder by chance and got confused with NeoGeo. I do not use update script and do updates manually.
I had a NEOGEO directory in MISTer "root" directory containing the BIOS files and a games subdirectory containing the games. I moved everything in the new games/NEOGEO directory but I did not leave the games in the games/NEOGEO/games directory, instead I put the games directly in the games/NEOGEO directory. It did not work so I reverted back to my original setup. Today I moved the NEOGEO directory from the "root" directory to games/NEOGEO so now I have the BIOS files in games/NEOGEO and the games in /games/NEOGEO/games. It works.
If you have a working setup with your files in a NEOGEO directory located in the "root" directory just move it to games/NEOGEO as it is, do not change the structure of your original setting. It should work. The only thing I did not do yet was to install the new Xml file.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:43 am

yoshi41 wrote:In case of NeoGeo it's confusing. Since I just updated everthing with the script, I didn't recognize this new folder. It looks like some files are still picked up from the old "/media/fat/NeoGeo" folder (games and UniBIOS), while stock BIOS is only recognized in "/media/fat/games/NeoGeo".

i don't use /media/fat/games/NeoGeo at all.
Everything in my config is in /media/fat/NeoGeo I have no problem with neither UniBIOS nor original BIOS.

yoshi41
Atari User
Atari User

Postby yoshi41 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:56 pm

Sorgelig wrote:i don't use /media/fat/games/NeoGeo at all.
Everything in my config is in /media/fat/NeoGeo I have no problem with neither UniBIOS nor original BIOS.

You're right as usual. My bad. I just did a "Reset & apply" after changing the BIOS. This is not sufficient, I need to save the settings and perform a soft reboot.

I just checked the update again. For Neo Geo and Gameboy, the support files (xml, gbp) are only updated in "/media/fat/games".

Is this an update topic or what is the recommend directory for those files (for now and in the future), "/media/fat/<CORE>" or "/media/fat/games/<CORE>"?

Return to “MiSTer”