NeoGeo topic

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

PsyFX
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Re: NeoGeo topic

Postby PsyFX » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:26 am

cyborc wrote:Could someone else test Nam1975 with the Unibios in arcade mode and tell me if their "How to play" screen looks like this? I've rebooted several times but it always looks like this. The rest of the game seems fine.

I can confirm I get a similarly messed up "how to play" screen in arcade mode (all 3 regions)
in console mode it skips the "how to play" screen.

AndrewSisk
Atarian
Atarian

Postby AndrewSisk » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:48 am

This is a known issue with Unibios, try with MVS Bios..... from Unibios site: Some early games like Nam 1975 for example will have corrupted 'How to Play' screens when in arcade mode. This is because the AES does not have the needed character font built in that the MVS has

Ashenshards
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Ashenshards » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:18 pm

Core is brilliant. I never got to play these games growing up, so for me now it's all a new experience. I've already found some games that I like a lot. I was especially surprised by Windjammers. Thanks for all the hard work.

Milongero
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Milongero » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:41 pm

Great job,
I am excited about the new Core.
Thumbs up.

pomegran
Atarian
Atarian

Postby pomegran » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:51 pm

Hi,

I'm also struggling to see games in the list. I've ensured the checksums match my files but I can't see the games when I open the core.

Any pointers? Below is the file structure in my root folder.

Thanks

Code: Select all

└───NEOGEO
    │   000-lo.lo
    │   romsets.xml
    │   sfix.sfix
    │   uni-bios.rom
    │
    └───games
        └───mslug
                crom0
                fpga
                m1rom
                prom
                srom
                vroma0

pomegran
Atarian
Atarian

Postby pomegran » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:56 pm

pomegran wrote:Hi,

I'm also struggling to see games in the list. I've ensured the checksums match my files but I can't see the games when I open the core.

Any pointers? Below is the file structure in my root folder.

Thanks

Apologies, found the problem. I thought I'd copied across the new Mister and Menu files and hadn't! Now works perfectly.

Thanks for all the thread info thus far especially on checksums. It was really useful.

terminator2k2
Atariator
Atariator

Postby terminator2k2 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:50 pm

Some 96MB neogeo game play

https://youtu.be/upbMVQmCyNc

12characters
Atarian
Atarian

Postby 12characters » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:24 pm

This is literally a non-issue but I am curious about the RAM requirements.

I have a 32MB SDRAM board. When Metal Slug 2 (Turbo Hack) is loaded, I get a warning that there is not enough memory and that the graphics may therefore be corrupted (should it then not be listed as requiring 64MB in romsets.xml?). Still, the game seems to play fine. Similarly with Pulstar and Shock Troopers. I thought the entire ROM had to fit in SDRAM. How does the core handle oversized games? Are the stated RAM requirements just recommendations for best experience or should I expect serious issues later in the games?

Oh, and my thanks to the developers!

flain
Atariator
Atariator

Postby flain » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:20 am

AndrewSisk wrote:This is a known issue with Unibios, try with MVS Bios..... from Unibios site: Some early games like Nam 1975 for example will have corrupted 'How to Play' screens when in arcade mode. This is because the AES does not have the needed character font built in that the MVS has

I just tested on real MVS hardware with darksoft cart and unibios and it isn't an issue so in the interest of accurate reporting of issues it's something to look at for MiSTer think :) On AES mode it skips the screen, but on MVS mode it does show that problem in MiSTer. I do have unibios v4 in my MVS and v3 on my MiSTer though so not sure if that has something to do with it? Screenshot attached of my working arcade.

70821332_2641077312583015_6584030061261750272_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cyborc
Atarian
Atarian

Postby cyborc » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:40 am

flain wrote:
AndrewSisk wrote:This is a known issue with Unibios, try with MVS Bios..... from Unibios site: Some early games like Nam 1975 for example will have corrupted 'How to Play' screens when in arcade mode. This is because the AES does not have the needed character font built in that the MVS has

I just tested on real MVS hardware with darksoft cart and unibios and it isn't an issue so in the interest of accurate reporting of issues it's something to look at for MiSTer think :) On AES mode it skips the screen, but on MVS mode it does show that problem in MiSTer. I do have unibios v4 in my MVS and v3 on my MiSTer though so not sure if that has something to do with it? Screenshot attached of my working arcade.

As I understand it, the unibios only has this issue if you're playing the game on an actual AES console, but set to MVS mode in the unibios. So it would appear the mister is replicating that behavior when using the unibios.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:41 am

12characters wrote:This is literally a non-issue but I am curious about the RAM requirements.

I have a 32MB SDRAM board. When Metal Slug 2 (Turbo Hack) is loaded, I get a warning that there is not enough memory and that the graphics may therefore be corrupted (should it then not be listed as requiring 64MB in romsets.xml?). Still, the game seems to play fine. Similarly with Pulstar and Shock Troopers. I thought the entire ROM had to fit in SDRAM. How does the core handle oversized games? Are the stated RAM requirements just recommendations for best experience or should I expect serious issues later in the games?

Oh, and my thanks to the developers!

Some games have ROM larger than 32MB but last several megabytes are empty. Like mslug2. MiSTer judge only by size not by content that's why you get the warning but game has no problem.

eightbitminiboss
Atarian
Atarian

Postby eightbitminiboss » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:11 am

djsquare wrote:When using the free unibios 3.3, is there a way to save the default boot mode from Europe/Console to something else. It's really not that big of a deal, but it would be nice to not have to press A+B+C every time at boot to change it. I like to use USA/Arcade for MVS mode. On a real MVS (MV-1F) arcade I have in the garage, the older 3.2 unibios saves every time I change the boot mode.

Seconding this and didn't see a response to this post. Is there something I'm missing on getting the Unibios to stick with my selected options? Didn't see any mention of anything extra in the readme on Github.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:15 am

eightbitminiboss wrote:
djsquare wrote:When using the free unibios 3.3, is there a way to save the default boot mode from Europe/Console to something else. It's really not that big of a deal, but it would be nice to not have to press A+B+C every time at boot to change it. I like to use USA/Arcade for MVS mode. On a real MVS (MV-1F) arcade I have in the garage, the older 3.2 unibios saves every time I change the boot mode.

Seconding this and didn't see a response to this post. Is there something I'm missing on getting the Unibios to stick with my selected options? Didn't see any mention of anything extra in the readme on Github.

Unibios settings are part of game save. You need to save the Memory Card which should save the unibios settings for current game.

eightbitminiboss
Atarian
Atarian

Postby eightbitminiboss » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:05 am

Sorgelig wrote:
eightbitminiboss wrote:

Unibios settings are part of game save. You need to save the Memory Card which should save the unibios settings for current game.

Ah OK, and now that I reread the readme it does mention it to that effect. Cool, thanks!

12characters
Atarian
Atarian

Postby 12characters » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:05 am

Sorgelig wrote:Some games have ROM larger than 32MB but last several megabytes are empty. Like mslug2. MiSTer judge only by size not by content that's why you get the warning but game has no problem.

OK, that explains why mslug2 is listed as only requiring 32MB in romsets.xml. However, pulstar and shocktro are listed as requiring 64MB. I guess that means that some actual data are lost in those cases although I did not notice during my brief testing. If so, is it graphics data that is sacrificed first? Will it typically lead to small graphical glitches throughout the game or may it as well (say) corrupt the screen entirely mid-game?

I could of course find out myself.:-)

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:05 am

cyborc wrote:Could someone else test Nam1975 with the Unibios in arcade mode and tell me if their "How to play" screen looks like this? I've rebooted several times but it always looks like this. The rest of the game seems fine.

Re-download MiSTer binary, it's fixed this problem along with screen "winners don't use drugs".

Xtro
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Xtro » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:03 pm

After the latest core update sometimes I loose sound on NeoGeo, this happens if I load a rom after another, or loading the NeoGeo core after other core. It solves doing a cold reboot. I am using toslink sound output

JBeau
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby JBeau » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:55 pm

Xtro wrote:After the latest core update sometimes I loose sound on NeoGeo, this happens if I load a rom after another, or loading the NeoGeo core after other core. It solves doing a cold reboot. I am using toslink sound output

I had the same just now. The sound stopped and there was a constant beep. Only using HDMI, no IO board.

trashuncle
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby trashuncle » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:57 am

I am also experiencing the loss of audio issue in the newest build. It will work for a bit then just randomly cut out and not come back until I do a cold boot.

PhantombrainM
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby PhantombrainM » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:05 am

Xtro wrote:After the latest core update sometimes I loose sound on NeoGeo, this happens if I load a rom after another, or loading the NeoGeo core after other core. It solves doing a cold reboot. I am using toslink sound output

Confirmed. Same. In Metal Slug 4 I get MVS "MT-Rom Error" in attract mode sometimes, unibios.
Two beer or not two beer? - Shakesbeer.

yoshi41
Atariator
Atariator

Postby yoshi41 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:17 pm

yoshi41 wrote:There are few sound glitches in Thrash Rally. In the countdown sequence "2, 1, START" of World Championship mode, the beep for "1" is missing. Also during gameplay, a certain tone/sequence is (loudly) distorted.

EDIT: The (loudly) distorted sound effect in music is audible twice at the beginning of the gameplay intro sequence.

Similar sound glitch in Mutation Nation. In AES console mode, the game intro starts with "20XX" and "SLUM". The sound effect for the second "X", "L" and "M" are missing. This happens only in console mode, since arcade mode has a different intro. Tested with stock and Universal BIOS.

PS: Mister 20190911, Menu 20190908, NeoGeo 20190911. I learned my lesson. :oops:

yoshi41
Atariator
Atariator

Postby yoshi41 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:46 pm

Regarding stock and UniBIOS switching.

If UniBIOS file "uni-bios.rom" is found, UniBIOS will be used. If not, it will use stock BIOS (sp-s2.sp1 -> MVS, neo-epo.sp1 -> AES).

In order to switch between them, I made a small shell script. This can be executed in the system menu with the joypad. Each time you run it, it will switch to the other BIOS.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

cd /media/fat/neogeo

if [ -f uni-bios.rom ]; then
  echo Disabling Universe BIOS
  mv uni-bios.rom uni-bios.rom.inactive
else
  echo Enabling Universe BIOS
  mv uni-bios.rom.inactive uni-bios.rom
fi

I saved it as "_neogeo_switch_bios.sh" in the linux directory.

Please note, my Neo Geo directory is in lower case (cd /media/fat/neogeo). Pls change it according to your exact directory name.

PhantombrainM
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby PhantombrainM » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:18 pm

Is the original BIOS useful for something? Maybe a GUI (OSD) switch implementation would be better than a script.
I'm personally not interested in the original BIOS yet.
Two beer or not two beer? - Shakesbeer.

yoshi41
Atariator
Atariator

Postby yoshi41 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:46 pm

I did it only for testing purposes. If there's an issue, to check whether it's BIOS related.

I personally prefer stock BIOS, just to be as close as possible to the original un-modded hardware. But that's a personal (nostalgic) choice. According to the readme, UniBIOS is recommended anyway.

UniBIOS has of course some advantages. On a real system, you can change the mode and region. Cheats are also available.

A nice feature since version 3.1 is hiscore saving. It requires the memory card to be formatted with UniBIOS and the last character of the cards user name must be "!".

http://unibios.free.fr/download/whatsnew.txt

I'm wondering if this can be supported in some way.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:27 pm

I've added BIOS option in new release.
It's applied only with ROM load. So you have to reload the ROM after changing this option.

Return to “MiSTer”