NeoGeo topic

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: NeoGeo topic

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:32 pm

yoshi41 wrote:A nice feature since version 3.1 is hiscore saving. It requires the memory card to be formatted with UniBIOS and the last character of the cards user name must be "!".

http://unibios.free.fr/download/whatsnew.txt

I'm wondering if this can be supported in some way.

i don't see why it shouldn't work. Just format the card as required.

daveboogie
Atarian
Atarian

Postby daveboogie » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:01 pm

Massive thanks to all involved, this has brought joy to lots to people already and probably many more in the future. Mister just goes from strength to strength, :cheers:

yoshi41
Atariator
Atariator

Postby yoshi41 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:35 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
yoshi41 wrote:A nice feature since version 3.1 is hiscore saving. It requires the memory card to be formatted with UniBIOS and the last character of the cards user name must be "!".

http://unibios.free.fr/download/whatsnew.txt

I'm wondering if this can be supported in some way.

i don't see why it shouldn't work. Just format the card as required.

You're right of course. Confirm it works. Hiscore is saved and I see it on the memory card flagged as "H.S".

If I remember correctly, the cards user name must use all characters (at least with version 3.1).

Don't ask me why I think this needs to be supported. I probably assumed the core is still at an early stage, since it's released only a couple of days ago. But that's obviously not the case. Apart from minor sound glitches, everything is fine from what I've played so far. Amazing. And thanks again for all your work. 8)

PhantombrainM
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby PhantombrainM » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:43 am

Thank you for implementing the BIOS selection.

I have to say, that I've never used the original BIOS yet, but for me MVS is not working.
It shows "SYSTEM ROM ERROR". Any hints?

Maybe MD5 / CRC32 or something like that would be good in the Wiki?
Attached you can see my files. Are they okay?
I was referring to https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=System_ROM

regards,
PhantombrainM
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Two beer or not two beer? - Shakesbeer.

LewisD
Atarian
Atarian

Postby LewisD » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:18 pm

Does anyone know of a way to save the region and arcade/console preferences with the Unibios free version? It defaults to Europe/Arcade every time I launch a game.

djsquare
Atari User
Atari User

Postby djsquare » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:35 pm

LewisD wrote:Does anyone know of a way to save the region and arcade/console preferences with the Unibios free version? It defaults to Europe/Arcade every time I launch a game.

Yes, I asked this same question. Once you've changed the region you need to save to the memory card in the OSD. On next start up it will be the same settings that you've saved.

DrLilo
Atarian
Atarian

Postby DrLilo » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:56 pm

Hi guys. Can anyone explain why I'm getting no audio from the Neo Geo core? Tried through the analog audio jack as well as HDMI and sound is working on all other cores...

EDIT: Huh, I now realise that it does work, but only some of the time. I had to keep reloading a romset and I get sound about 50% of the time.

jemismyname
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby jemismyname » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:13 pm

OMGEEEE Thanks so much for the hard work developing the NeoGEo core for the mister. I am really enjoying it even with just a 32MB sdram!

I do have a slight concern with the audio, it seems like some of the audio is clipped on some of the games.. but unfortunately I don't have enough experience with the neo geo hardware to say for sure (maybe it just sounds like that? maybe they had a low pass filter on the original hardware to deal with audio harshness?)

Also, I have noticed that MOST of the games in which i experience audio clipping are games which should be used with >32MB RAM... so maybe the audio isn't loading correctly due to memory constraints? I also heard some clipping in lorom only games, but most of the clipping was very slight.

The worst offender for clipping audio which i have noticed is in "Blazing Star" where basically everything sounds clipped, but this is a hirom game, so i don't know if that is causing my problem.

otherwise, great work! I can't wait to upgrade my SDRAM!

jemismyname
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby jemismyname » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:27 pm

daveboogie wrote:Massive thanks to all involved, this has brought joy to lots to people already and probably many more in the future. Mister just goes from strength to strength, :cheers:

MiSTer is strongman world champion!! :cheers:

normal19
Atarian
Atarian

Postby normal19 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:13 pm

jemismyname wrote:I do have a slight concern with the audio, it seems like some of the audio is clipped on some of the games.. but unfortunately I don't have enough experience with the neo geo hardware to say for sure (maybe it just sounds like that? maybe they had a low pass filter on the original hardware to deal with audio harshness?)

Also, I have noticed that MOST of the games in which i experience audio clipping are games which should be used with >32MB RAM... so maybe the audio isn't loading correctly due to memory constraints? I also heard some clipping in lorom only games, but most of the clipping was very slight.

The worst offender for clipping audio which i have noticed is in "Blazing Star" where basically everything sounds clipped, but this is a hirom game, so i don't know if that is causing my problem.

I noticed this with Twinkle Star Sprites, beside the music in the main menu having extremely loud noise for parts of it the sound effects and voice just dont play if there's too many sprites on screen, ironically the romlist.xml says it has very loud sounds but that is only in main menu and some sounds are just missing somteimes

Also in Metal slug games some sounds are completely wrong pitch, mostly the score item pickup chime

I assume this is because 32mb SDRAM but I don't know if adding more will fix these

theimporter
Atariator
Atariator

Postby theimporter » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:12 am

Why does the NEOGEO ROM folder need to be at the root of my SD card compared to every other system which can have their folders inside my ROM directory? Also, is there a way for the Unibios to remember the system and region instead of setting them every time?

BitsNStuff
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby BitsNStuff » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:34 pm

I don't have it in front of me at the moment but in relation to the UniBIOS remembering your settings after you've set it up there's a save option in the OSD, I think it's labelled _Save to Memory Card_ or something similar. You can use that to save the UniBIOS settings, there's a _Load from Memory Card_ option there too which you can use to load the settings that you saved.

You have to manually load and save for each game at the moment, or at least you did last time I tried but hopefully at some point that will be able to be automated. I'm not sure if that would be possible or whether it may cause issues if it does happen.

zakk4223
Atarian
Atarian

Postby zakk4223 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:13 am

In the game NAM 1975, I get a blank screen when it runs through the control tutorials. Once the tutorial is over video comes back.

Can anyone else test this game to see if they get the same behavior? Put a credit in and hit start, tutorial should start then.

cavemanxzx
Atarian
Atarian

Postby cavemanxzx » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:48 pm

Hi,

i have a problem, i am using normally 1024x768 over hdmi out for my 4:3 Monitor. In this mode i get with the core no picture, Audio is working fine.

Also tested 800x600, 640x480. DVI on/off. Other Monitor. No Picture in 4:3 Modes.

720p, 1080p working fine. VGA out also.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:30 pm

no problem in 1024x768 over HDMI here.

ghogan42
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby ghogan42 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:22 am

cavemanxzx wrote:Hi,

i have a problem, i am using normally 1024x768 over hdmi out for my 4:3 Monitor. In this mode i get with the core no picture, Audio is working fine.

Also tested 800x600, 640x480. DVI on/off. Other Monitor. No Picture in 4:3 Modes.

720p, 1080p working fine. VGA out also.

The refresh rate of neogeo is 59.1856Hz. If you have vsync_adjust=1 or vsync_adjust=2 then your display probably just has trouble with that. Other cores like Genesis, Nes, Snes, Tg16 output refresh rates closer to standard 59.94 or 60hz rates.

Interestingly, AES neo geos had a different master clock (24.167829MHz) and output something like 59.6hz. Probably for display compaitibilty...

But as it stands, the neogoe core is just going to work with few displays than the other cores that output near 60hz.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:29 am

ghogan42 wrote:Interestingly, AES neo geos had a different master clock (24.167829MHz) and output something like 59.6hz. Probably for display compaitibilty...

probably a good idea to use this clock for core

jdubs
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby jdubs » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:12 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
ghogan42 wrote:Interestingly, AES neo geos had a different master clock (24.167829MHz) and output something like 59.6hz. Probably for display compaitibilty...

probably a good idea to use this clock for core

Yes, please!

Tateha
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Tateha » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:37 pm

Hi!

I'm new here and first of all I want to say thanks for the hard work for this core.

English is not my language, but I'll do my best.

I'm struggling with the core. I formated de SD Card, I updated MiSTer archive, menu archive and Neo Geo core. I have romsets.xml archive, bios archives too and the Dark Soft's romset but doesn't work. Some games make an infinite loop with Neo Geo animation, sometimes appear errors after the logo animation like Z80 Error, Bank Error, Unibios Error, and others. Some games nothing appears after the Neo Geo animation, only black screen. All the games I tried show some error.

My MiSTer have 128Mb module.

Can anyone help me?

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:44 pm

Tateha wrote:Some games nothing appears after the Neo Geo animation, only black screen. All the games I tried show some error.

I had the exact same issue. It happened because I somehow transfered files in ASCII mode via FTP. Retransfer files with SFTP using binary mode and it should work.

Tateha
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Tateha » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:02 pm

Newsdee wrote:I had the exact same issue. It happened because I somehow transfered files in ASCII mode via FTP. Retransfer files with SFTP using binary mode and it should work.

OMG!! I'ts works!!!
All the f****g day with this and the problem is the FTP transfer mode.

Thank you mate! :cheers:

seastalker
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby seastalker » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:50 pm

Furrtek, Sorge, GreyRogue and Rysha, (I hope I am not missing anyone's name), BIG thank you for this core! I look forward to trying this and am waiting on my 128mb board.

blacklistedcard
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby blacklistedcard » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:31 am

This is real fun playing Neo-Geo games. My 128 ram is on it's way.

pomegran
Atarian
Atarian

Postby pomegran » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:47 am

Hi everybody,

Just to underline, if you're happy with the work these people are producing please think about donating. I have no idea how many hours they put in (I guess many!) for the joy of others but a few euros/pounds is a great way to say thank you (along with the comments too!).

Shamus
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Shamus » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:18 pm

I am having trouble with the NeoGeo sound which I grab as analog audio from GPIO 1 and feed into the audio jack of my monitor. It is hardly hearable and seems distorted. No problems here with the other cores, though. Apart from this, fantastic work!

Return to “MiSTer”