https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

NeoGeo topic

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:47 pm

Discussion about the NeoGeo core.

Important note: Use Darksoft pack instead of MAME. Darksoft ROMs are preprocessed and decrypted, so it works right away. In MAME pack many official ROMs are encrypted so they won't work on MiSTer. However most hacks and mods in MAME use decrypted ROMs, so they usually work. You need to be familiar with romsets.xml format to write correct XML entry for new ROM.

djsquare
Atari User
Atari User

Re: NeoGeo topic

Postby djsquare » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:46 pm

This is so unbelievably awesome. I can't wait to test it out with the new 128MB RAM module. Thank you so much to everyone involved to make this happen :cheers:

ReedSolomon
Atari User
Atari User

Postby ReedSolomon » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:52 pm

Excellent job, pushed Mister project to the bleeding edge, above and beyond anyone's expectations. Thanks furrtek, sorgelig, electronash, rysha, and everyone involved.

brNX
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby brNX » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:19 pm

ReedSolomon wrote:Excellent job, pushed Mister project to the bleeding edge, above and beyond anyone's expectations. Thanks furrtek, sorgelig, electronash, rysha, and everyone involved.

Yeah, thanks furrtek, sorgelig , greyrogue and rysha.

and of course to the original authors of the cores used(t80,jt*, ...)

amazing work :cheers:

ReedSolomon
Atari User
Atari User

Postby ReedSolomon » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:24 pm

Yeah too many people to remember.. not to mention all the patreon supporters. Huge undertaking and it must be hugely rewarding to see it completed

kitrinx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kitrinx » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:33 pm

ReedSolomon wrote:

Yeah too many people to remember.. not to mention all the patreon supporters. Huge undertaking and it must be hugely rewarding to see it completed

It is always easy to see who is contributing to a core thanks to github:
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/NeoGeo_ ... ntributors

Every core's repo has this available and will list what everyone has done. The only exception is the initial commit, which often loses the old history (in this case Furrtek's work prior to sorg starting)

Piacenti
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Piacenti » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:48 am

Awesome work, team! Congrats! Just reporting... I’m losing TV signal frequently when loading roms or cold boot the system. All updated. Using vsync adjust 2, HDMI.

flain
Atariator
Atariator

Postby flain » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:43 am

Excellent work!

I've been playing and testing for a few hours now and so far everything works really well, haven't found any problems. Even Fatal Fury 2 copy protection isn't a problem (on a real neogeo with darksoft cart the copy protection makes the second fight opponent invincible) on MiSTer there is no such problems with FF2.

SuperBabyHix
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby SuperBabyHix » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:26 am

So I'll be the first to open the floodgates and ask a dumb question. I put all of the bios files listed in the readme into the NEOGEO folder, including the uni-bios, and the romsets.xml file.

The readme says compatible with Darksoft and Mame romsets. Does it need to be a particular Mame romset version (latest perhaps)? I currently pulled a few games from what I have (0.185) and it always boots to the cross hatch pattern test screen. Do I need to update roms or is it my bios files (also from 0.185).

Thanks either way for the amazing work everyone.

zomgugoff
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby zomgugoff » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:37 am

SuperBabyHix wrote:So I'll be the first to open the floodgates and ask a dumb question. I put all of the bios files listed in the readme into the NEOGEO folder, including the uni-bios, and the romsets.xml file.

The readme says compatible with Darksoft and Mame romsets. Does it need to be a particular Mame romset version (latest perhaps)? I currently pulled a few games from what I have (0.185) and it always boots to the cross hatch pattern test screen. Do I need to update roms or is it my bios files (also from 0.185).

Thanks either way for the amazing work everyone.

I've run into the same issue. If you use the stock BIOS files instead of unibios, you will get a "Z80 ERROR" message instead. I'm waiting on the Darksoft set to download to see what the difference is compared to MAME roms. It would be nice if we got some DAT files so we can convert existing MAME romsets to work instead of having to wait on a single source to provide compatible roms.

Edit: Darksoft roms don't appear to be separated by IC like MAME roms. They are made with 6 files, crom0, fpga, m1rom, prom, srom, and vroma0. I'm not sure if conversion can be done using MAME roms.

jfroco
Atarian
Atarian

Postby jfroco » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:38 am

I just wanted to say: Thank you!!

ghogan42
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby ghogan42 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:07 am

Piacenti wrote:Awesome work, team! Congrats! Just reporting... I’m losing TV signal frequently when loading roms or cold boot the system. All updated. Using vsync adjust 2, HDMI.

The neogeo uses a refresh rate further from ntsc standard than most home consoles. Some HDTVs don't like that. Mine doesn't. It's around 59.18Hz or something like that. It could be that.

Dirtbag
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Dirtbag » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:13 am

Piacenti wrote:Awesome work, team! Congrats! Just reporting... I’m losing TV signal frequently when loading roms or cold boot the system. All updated. Using vsync adjust 2, HDMI.

This is happening to me also over HDMI, VGA is fine.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:27 am

I've put the note about MAME ROMs in the first post.

It's also written in the readme, but who reads the readme, right? ;)

SuperBabyHix
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby SuperBabyHix » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:15 am

Sorgelig wrote:I've put the note about MAME ROMs in the first post.

It's also written in the readme, but who reads the readme, right? ;)

Thanks for the update. To be fair the readme says: "Compatible with Darksoft and MAME ROM sets" and doesn't seem to mention encrypted vs decrypted roms at all, unless I'm looking at the wrong readme https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/NeoGeo_MiSTer/blob/master/README.md

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:23 am

SuperBabyHix wrote:Thanks for the update. To be fair the readme says: "Compatible with Darksoft and MAME ROM sets" and doesn't seem to mention encrypted vs decrypted roms at all, unless I'm looking at the wrong readme https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/NeoGeo_MiSTer/blob/master/README.md

it has this: "For ease of setup of use, it is strongly suggested that people use the Darksoft ROM pack."

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:25 am

Those who have stripes on NeoGeo jingle screen and unusual corruption (not to confuse with some specific game problem!) try this version:
NeoGeo.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

zomgugoff
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby zomgugoff » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:47 am

Sorgelig wrote:
SuperBabyHix wrote:Thanks for the update. To be fair the readme says: "Compatible with Darksoft and MAME ROM sets" and doesn't seem to mention encrypted vs decrypted roms at all, unless I'm looking at the wrong readme https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/NeoGeo_MiSTer/blob/master/README.md

it has this: "For ease of setup of use, it is strongly suggested that people use the Darksoft ROM pack."

It should probably say something more like 'this core only works with Darksoft-format roms.'

Sorgelig wrote:Those who have stripes on NeoGeo jingle screen and unusual corruption (not to confuse with some specific game problem!) try this version:
NeoGeo.zip

Seems to have cleared up most of the corruption I was seeing.

alienator303
Atarian
Atarian

Postby alienator303 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:48 am

Sorgelig wrote:Those who have stripes on NeoGeo jingle screen and unusual corruption (not to confuse with some specific game problem!) try this version:
NeoGeo.zip

yep. that fixed about everything i tested sofar, no more neogeo logo glitch, no ingame sprite glitches in fighting games ;)

berighteous
Atarian
Atarian

Postby berighteous » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:17 am

Alexey said "It's compatible with MAME. But it needs a lot of preparation. So basically it's correct. Darksoft has all officially released ROMs, so there is no point for MAME unless you looking for some hacks or mods" :shrug:

I'm sorry, but this "it is compatible from a certain point of view" is um...wrong. If MAME roms don't work, it isn't compatible with MAME roms. if you have to modify a MAME rom to work, it isn't a MAME rom any more. Apparently it's too much trouble to ask for TWO WORDS to be removed from the description. sheesh.

z00pster
Atariator
Atariator

Postby z00pster » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:20 am

It's the XML that needs preperation. I've used a MAME rom XML in the past and it works fine but has limited game (rom) coverage.

LarsDragon
Atari User
Atari User

Postby LarsDragon » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:27 am

NeoGeo.zip
It works perfect, thanks! :cheers:

BitsNStuff
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby BitsNStuff » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:38 am

Nothing but amazed with this core!!

I did try a very early build of it what seems like months ago now and although it was clearly very early that was enough for me, just seeing the actual core running on my own MiSTer really sold it to me. I decided then to just leave it until it actually got a release...which I managed to do until it was added to the main MiSTer GitHub. I just couldn't resist then.

It's come along so quickly over the past few weeks and it's good to see that it's finally had an official release.

I think for the price difference between the 64MB and 128MB boards, it would almost be silly not to go for 128 and even though it'y a few extra games, I know that I'd regret it at some point.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:49 am

Readme has been updated to make the things clear.
MAME set itself is very confusing. It has many different sets with different ROM names. So it's clearly MAME is not a turn-key solution.

daverhodus
Atarian
Atarian

Postby daverhodus » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:11 am

This is amazing. NeoGeo was the holy grail for me as a kid. To everyone involved, thanks!!

Return to “MiSTer”