EMS with ao486

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

SHIFT838
Atariator
Atariator

EMS with ao486

Postby SHIFT838 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:13 pm

New to the ao486 core and I am wondering how much EMS can be available for this core.

I currently have the expanded SDRAM module on my mister.

I was thinking of toying around with an older BBS on it to see if it will run.

my config.sys is very basic:

DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
DOS=HIGH,UMB
BUFFERS=20
FILES=40

But if I try to run anything that needs the EMS I get the below message:

'Not enough EMS to put overlay into memory!'

What am I missing? I know the programs will run on standard 640k
Last edited by SHIFT838 on Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Schneider
SHIFT838
http://shift838.99er.net

Live TI-99 CHAT
http://shift838.99er...ex.php#TI-99ers

FuSiON BBS Information:
http://sourceforge.n...ource=directory

Online for Telnet only at:
fusionbbs.ddns.net : Port # 9640

BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: EMS with ao486

Postby BBond007 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:27 am

"DIS=HIGH,UMB"

Change to:

DOS=HIGH,UMB

That will get you an additional 64K Conventional (640K) RAM.

Also, I think EMM386 will give you 2MB or EMS memory (by default) and 0MB with the "NOEMS" option you are using.

Have you tried using Quarterdeck Expanded Memory Manager (QEMM)? I believe it does both XMS and EMS.

I would suggest QEMM 8.03, but skip "Stealth" optimization.

Hope that helps - I seem to have forgotten a lot about DOS memory optimization...

GoingDown
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby GoingDown » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:36 am

With DOS 6.22 EMM386, I have these:

for EMS:
device=c:\dos\emm386.exe 4096 RAM FRAME=e000 d=256 x=a000-c7ff i=c800-efff

for NOEMS:
device=c:\dos\emm386.exe noems x=a000-c7ff i=c800-efff

I think that under ao486, emm386 cannot detect if upper memory area is free or not, thus not giving any free umbs.

EDIT. To be clear. Those X and I are required to include and exclude certain upper memory areas for candidates for UMB blocks, it is not directly related to EMS or XMS memory, only that you may DEVICEHIGH or LOADHIGH certain drivers to upper memory. For EMS memory, FRAME parameter defines the frame where EMS window is, and D parameter tells how much memory is reserved for DMA.

glaucon1984
Atari User
Atari User

Postby glaucon1984 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:51 pm

Despite the brilliant post from @GoingDown, I'm going to attempt to explain a bit what's going on with EMM386.EXE:

EMM386.EXE, when used with the parameter NOEMS, will only be used as a memory manager, this means, it can put resident programs in the space between the 640KB of basic memory and 1MB, known as UMA (upper memory area). 1MB is the maximum RAM addressable by the Intel 8088 (and 8086) so it's an architectural limit (*), yes Bill Gates said 640KB was enough and how wrong he was, but he didn't really have much more to play with, and those extra 384KB were really important for I/O to be mapped and being future-proofed for future expansion cards, so in theory, programs must avoid using it for their own purposes as things will break when doing it.

The PC compatibles of the time tried to keep the UMA mapping more or less similar to the IBM PC, so there are ranges universally available and others that can be stepped into because they are not in use, like the monochrome graphics.

The parameter NOEMS means we just want the functionality that puts TSRs ("terminate and stay resident" programs) on the upper memory area, but doesn't provide EMS RAM. This is the best option to helps getting as much basic memory (under 640KB) and requires to use LOADHIGH and DEVICEHIGH for the OS to move the TSRs to the UMA.

EMS is a different animal, it's just a technology to present the the RAM beyond 1MB (extended memory) to programs, using memory bank switching of a small chunk of contiguous UMA RAM, usually 64KB, so it can address several MB.

This means another 64KB of UMA are needed, out of those 384KB, and these have to be contiguous, so if many drivers and TSRs are running, these have to be arranged carefully to allow for the 64KB to fit in one chunk.

You could have the case of TSRs having to be loaded under the 640KB mark despite having lots of UMA available simply because the free UMA is fragmented (imagine multiple gaps of 10KB but your TSR needs 15KB). Hence why NOEMS can help, you can send drivers to the UMA but you don't use those 64KB that EMS needs, giving even more space for TSRs.

An alternative that sometimes helps is something like MemMaker, which can use parameters to put residents in different addresses without worrying about the order in which they are loaded, and calculates the best order to leave the biggest ranges available.

In ao486 the UMA is not like in most PCs of the time, things are not where EMM386.EXE or Qemm expect, an agressive scanning of the UMA produces crashes in most cases and that's why adding an exception for "a000-c7ff" is necessary. On top of that, there is simply no 64KB of contiguous address space in the upper memory, even after including "c800-efff", so the page frame size has to be reduced to 56KB (e000 hexadecimal is 57344 decimal). This will already cause compatibility issues with some programs that expect to use the full 64KB frame size.

I must add, I haven't used the settings suggested by @GoingDown but I'll definitelly take note of those as they seem quite polished (I was using a 48KB frame), but I have experienced quite strange things when using memory managers, like corrupted floppy I/O and crashes on some games, so I would keep low expectations of stability with software that needs EMS.

Also, please notice that sometimes people say "oh, this program is not compatible with EMS" the issue generally is that the program is not compatible with memory managers, and even using the parameter NOEMS will still cause issues with games like Ultima VII. For those, I recommend to investigate the usage of UMBPCI, although it will probably not work on ao486.

Also, even if a game doesn't require EMS, using EMM386 is beneficial to maximise basic memory as it allows to "loadhigh".

*Note: Since the 80286 the RAM beyond 1MB is usable, but only in protected mode, which DOS had challenges to support due to compatibility with legacy software. Turns out that programmers in the 8086 era would just use the RAM addressing limit to wrap around the address space and reach low memory areas (imagine expecting to go from 999 to 0 by adding 1, but instead you end up in 1000: things are going to break). It's still possible to use protected mode in DOS, thanks to solution like DOS4GW, but MS never bothered supporting it as it wash pushing other alternatives like NT.

Return to “MiSTer”