Repairing the MicroUSB connector?

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Repairing the MicroUSB connector?

Postby Newsdee » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:51 am

I am not sure how, but the MicroUSB connector of my MISTer dead. :cry: I tried with three different cables and none seem to connect. I am on the road so probably it got more strain than usual as I changed locations...

Does anybody have any experience repairing it or sending the DE10 back to Terasic for inspection?

THaase
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Repairing the MicroUSB connector?

Postby THaase » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:36 am

Hi Newsdee,

I've already exchanged some MicroUSB on other boards, but not on the DE10.
Basically I think it should be possible.
Major problem: I didn't have found any BOM from the DE10, so I don't know the exact type of MicroUSB used (they are using one with THT at the back, while I normally use one with THT at the front (but basically this should fit with some bending of the legs (or order a fitting one at Digikey)).
Major problem: There are a lot of quite small components in that area - so basically phase reflow is the right thing - this is something I didn't have any access to.
Second posibility is to use Kapton Tape to avoid blowing them away and also keep the heat away when using a hot air (this is something I can do).

So if noboady else is willing - I can give it a try - but NO GUARANTEE!
p&p is on you, rework is free.
Only problem: I'm on vaccation for nearly 3 weeks starting from the 30.08 - so if it arrives around the 26.08 I should be able to do it before my trip, else afterwards ..... (around 17th/18th of September)

cu
Thomas

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:54 am

Thanks for offering! I am also on vacation so no rush at all.
I will do more testing when I get back, I wish the port was bigger so I could test it with a multimeter. It feeks like a pin broke more than anything else. :|

THaase
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby THaase » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:19 pm

You can use a Multimeter and a normal MicroUSB to USB-A cable.
One side on the Port A ond the other one on the PCB directly (you can place the probe to the pads where the MicoUSB is soldered).

Yes - thight - but will work.
Or cut the USB-A and connect one wire to one probe and use a needle (with the second probe) on the DE10 side.

misterItaly
Atarian
Atarian

Postby misterItaly » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:27 am

I've the same problem, the microUSB connector suddendly stopped working, It seems is very fragile. I suppose one of the pins is broken.. any Idea on how to proceed? I'd like to avoid sending it back to US since I'm based in Italy

THaase
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby THaase » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:44 am

I can offer you the same - but as written above: No guarantee.
Already measured it defect? Otherwise it's maybe on cable side (tried different cable?).

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:48 am

Thanks both for the offer! It seems it still connects sometimes, but I have to avoid moving the cable too much. Whenever I have some time I will look at giving it a case with some way to make the connection permanent.

THaase
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby THaase » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:33 am

Or use one of the HUBs (Sorgeligs or mine) with PCB Board connection - this is quite stable

misterItaly
Atarian
Atarian

Postby misterItaly » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:22 pm

Just to give you a follow up. I contacted the Digikey support that directed me to a Taiwanese support. After a quick test appeared clear that the MicroUSB socket was broken , they offered me to repair it with shipping + maintenance charged on me (which is totally fair) , after a quick check I realized only the shipping would be costing me around 70 euro (I payed 110 euro for the DE10 nano) so I contacted again the support and they offered to ship the socket which costs around 0.1c + 35 euro of shipping cost (!), I asked whether I could buy the component myself since it appeared quite standard , they replied that of course was possible , the component is:

MICRO USB AB TYPE, FEMALE SMT 5P(RoHS)(UMMUF-051MGCB1-CF1108)

I found a technician in a local mobile phone shop that claimed to be able to do the soldering and.. it worked !

I spent a grand total of 59 euro (which is kind of a flat rate for them)

next step is to buy a proper USB OTG HUB (lesson learned)

hope this will help someone someday

regards
Last edited by misterItaly on Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

THaase
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby THaase » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:00 pm

Thanks for the follow up.
Specially the knowledge of the real type number used is of value.

Return to “MiSTer”