Keyboard holding inputs only on MiSTer Options Screen

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

messem10
Atarian
Atarian

Keyboard holding inputs only on MiSTer Options Screen

Postby messem10 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:16 pm

Hi all, I'm having a pretty bad issue with my MiSTer that is making it impossible to use.

The issue is that the my keyboards are holding/replicating the last input on the options menu. It makes getting into the remap controller/keyboard screen nearly impossible. I managed to make it once in all the times of trying.

This happens regardless of keyboard: whether it is wired or wireless, using a powered/unpowered USB hub or a direct OTG connection to the port. I've tried reformatting/reinstalling my SD card, trying yet another Micro SD card, VGA or HDMI output and such.

Here is a short video of the issue: https://streamable.com/hikis (Please excuse the portrait layout, it was the best way to get everything in frame to show the issue.) As you can see, it works fine in the scripts error screen, but only on the options screen does it act up.

The MiSTer is being fed into the Open Source Scan Converter to upscale the VGA input to display over HDMI.

EDIT 1: Fixed misspelling in the title and gave a better video link showing the issue.

messem10
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Keyboard holding inputs only on MiSTer Options Screen

Postby messem10 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:23 pm

I went and bought a standard Lenovo keyboard and I am still getting the same issue as I did with my Logitech wireless and CoolerMaster QuickFire Pro mechanical keyboards. (It wasn't much as I got it new in box from my local thrift store)

I even decided to see if it was the keyboards being the issue by unplugging the OTG connection as soon as I put in an input on the System Settings screen. The input would still repeat itself with the keyboard unplugged!

As such, I believe it is either a bug in the MiSTer menu or my DE-10 Nano is experiencing some weird edge-case.

Some help could be greatly appreciated as it is making it next to impossible to use as I cannot configure my controller.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:55 am

For me similar issue sometimes happens if i connect many USB devices. Usually i have to change the USB ports to find less problematic setup. But if keyboard is starting to repeat, then it repeats very quick like key holding down. On your video it repeats once per second or two. Never saw such behaviour. I have no idea what's wrong.

messem10
Atarian
Atarian

Postby messem10 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:09 am

Sorgelig wrote:For me similar issue sometimes happens if i connect many USB devices. Usually i have to change the USB ports to find less problematic setup. But if keyboard is starting to repeat, then it repeats very quick like key holding down. On your video it repeats once per second or two. Never saw such behaviour. I have no idea what's wrong.

All of this was with just the keyboard plugged in and nothing else. I used both the direct OTG->USB A cable and the OTB->USB hub I have and all three keyboards show the same issue.

I even went so far as to test with the IO board removed and then both that and the SDRAM removed, both of which showed no change in how the keyboard acted on that screen.

It seems to be only on that screen as well, as I can navigate the core/folder menu and their subsequent menus without any issues using the same keyboard(s).

Return to “MiSTer”