https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

jayp76
Atari freak
Atari freak

How to install DE locale for virtual terminal

Postby jayp76 » Tue May 28, 2019 9:35 am

Hi,

can someone help how to configure the DE (German) locale? I got the impression that the locale files are missing? If yes, can someone can point me where to find these and where to put them?

Regards
jayp

jayp76
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: How to install DE locale for virtual terminal

Postby jayp76 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:10 am

For those who are interested i have a temporary workaround which i can live with.
I saved a script in the scripts folder which executes "loadkeys de", which i start whenever i want to use the linux console.

MartinW
Atari User
Atari User

Postby MartinW » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:57 am

jayp76 wrote:I saved a script in the scripts folder which executes "loadkeys de", which i start whenever i want to use the linux console.

You could just add the load keys command to "/root/.bash_profile" and it will automatically execute when you login. For this to work, edit '/etc/passwd' such that the root user uses bash:

Code: Select all

root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

The only downside is that every time you update linux the image will overwrite these changes because it is outside of the "/media/fat" folder but I have a backup of any files that I want to restore in /media/fat/backup and a simple script that copies them back over after an update. The only file I don't copy over by script is the passwd file because that is inherently dodgy in case other users were added in an update. For that file I simply echo a message to the terminal to remind me to do it manually at the end of the restore script.

jayp76
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby jayp76 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:59 pm

Good to know the options. But altering it every time the linux partition is updated is in my opinion not a good workaround. I am also not completely sure if it has a negative impact to some cores if the keyboard layout is changed for e.g. C64. At first look it is not, but i don't know about JiffyDos Shortcuts and such.

MartinW
Atari User
Atari User

Postby MartinW » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:10 pm

No, definitely not ideal on the linux updates but I'm only changing a few files (SSH authorised keys, a few bash aliases etc.) so I'm OK with having a script that restores these files after a linux update.

Regarding the actual keyboard layout, for my keyboard I just manually created a map file that is used by all the cores. For me I created it manually because it was only a few keys on a specific keyboard. That's not really the same as what you want to do however. Also, the one place that it isn't implemented is within the linux frame buffer shell so actually I could do with a loadkeys setup instead.

Return to “MiSTer”