Nintendo 64 and other later Gen Cores

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

RabidWookie
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Re: Nintendo 64 and other later Gen Cores

Postby RabidWookie » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:40 pm

I'm blown away by the accomplishments of the people working on these cores. Who would have predicted at the beginning of the year that we'd have Neo Geo and GBA so soon?

kitrinx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kitrinx » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:27 am

theimporter wrote:
kitrinx wrote:The best you will likely see on the current iteration of MiSTer hardware is GBA and *maybe* PS1, but even those are quite far from reality, despite whatever tweets and optimism you may have seen.

And 6 months later, a GBA core gets release. The future is NOW!!!

Indeed. 5th gen things fall in the realm of maybe-technically-possible-but-improbable. The amount of work required becomes greater and greater to complete cores in that generation. The GBA core was the simplest of these entries, and is still quite an accomplishment. PSX is probably the next simplest, and the systems get harder from there. Last thanksgiving we got SNES, this thanksgiving we get GBA, who knows what will be around next thanksgiving :)

RabidWookie
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby RabidWookie » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:04 am

I'd enjoy a PSX core, but I'd LOVE a CPS2 core.

theimporter
Atari User
Atari User

Postby theimporter » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:57 am

kitrinx wrote:Indeed. 5th gen things fall in the realm of maybe-technically-possible-but-improbable. The amount of work required becomes greater and greater to complete cores in that generation. The GBA core was the simplest of these entries, and is still quite an accomplishment. PSX is probably the next simplest, and the systems get harder from there. Last thanksgiving we got SNES, this thanksgiving we get GBA, who knows what will be around next thanksgiving :)

Well the GBA is technically 6th Gen, but I think it's safe to say that handhelds have always been a generation behind compared to consoles. As for the MiSTer FPGA project, I started mine this year and what a year it was. Right when I started, bang!! SuperFX for SNES and later on, we got SA-1. During the summer, the GB core got to support GBC right out of the gate without jumping through hoops and before the season ended, we got NEO-GEO MVS/AES. And now we got GBA! If we can get SEGA CD, PCE-CD, CPS1 and CPS2 before the end of 2020, I'll be all set.

RabidWookie wrote:I'd enjoy a PSX core, but I'd LOVE a CPS2 core.

Ditto, after PCE-CD, CPS2 is what I would want.

seastalker
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby seastalker » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:32 pm

Of course, I'm happy to enjoy whatever work the developers put their time into, but after PCE-CD, the arcade items I'd enjoy the most are Sega System 16, CPS 1 and 2. Maybe one day Golden Axe's sequel "The Revenge of Death Adder" will finally get into homes after still being painfully overlooked by Sega for any home console release.

Power Drift and Thunder Blade I still struggle to imagine as possible, yet I am stunned every day... speaking of stunned, the era of games like S.T.U.N. Runner, Pit Fighter, A.P.B. and especially Hard Drivin' would be amazing. Hard Drivin' on Sega Genesis was mentioned in magazines of the day as "the one game you never thought possible on a home console" and I remember it's first introduction to MAME and needing at the time, a 2ghz cpu (maybe even dual-core) to even think of running it. Hard Drivin' always seemed (to me) an impossible benchmark.

Return to “MiSTer”