Has the HT1080z/TRS80 Model I core been ported from mist? (not coco)

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Has the HT1080z/TRS80 Model I core been ported from mist? (not coco)

Postby ericgus » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:55 pm

Hi all ..

I am not sure if am not looking in the right places or maybe it just hasn't been ported yet but has the HT1080z / TRS80 Model I/III core been ported over from mist to Mister yet? If it has does anyone know where its being hosted?

This is the Hungarian clone of the Radio Shack TRS 80 model I/III system (this is the original black and white z80 TRS80 and not coco) core .

DrOG posted the sources from the author over on this Mist thread..
http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=115&t=29940&hilit=trs80&start=50#p353409

djmartins
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Re: Has the HT1080z/TRS80 Model I core been ported from mist? (not coco)

Postby djmartins » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:10 am

That would be a cool core but I haven't seen it ported.

alanswx
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby alanswx » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:47 am

djmartins wrote:That would be a cool core but I haven't seen it ported.

There is also this one:

https://github.com/sebdel/mist-cores/tree/master/trs80

Is it worth porting both?

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:07 am

alanswx wrote:

There is also this one:

On this mist this one was feature incomplete.. the HT1080z was pretty much complete including loading from cassette tape (though on the Mister it would be nice to have the UART functionality as well).. its also like 99% a clone of the Model I / III so there really is no significant difference (or none that seem to matter much in terms of running applications, games etc for the Model I/III series).

DrOG
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby DrOG » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:18 am

alanswx wrote:

There is also this one:

The Hungarian clone is more mature (has a 640x480 VGA-compatible and a SCART/PAL standard interlaced video out mode as well, and it's able to load files - the another core does not have these abilities).

alanswx

Postby alanswx » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:15 am

Here is a first shot:
https://github.com/alanswx/HT1080Z_MiST ... r/releases

I hardcoded it to VGA - 640x480, I can probably fix that / put it in the menu. It is using ASCAL so the HDMI works. For some reason I don't have the OSD working on VGA. Use HDMI - or send me a patch. I am not really sure how the keyboard mapping works.

alanswx

Postby alanswx » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:19 am

alanswx wrote:Here is a first shot:

I hardcoded it to VGA - 640x480, I can probably fix that / put it in the menu. It is using ASCAL so the HDMI works. For some reason I don't have the OSD working on VGA. Use HDMI - or send me a patch. I am not really sure how the keyboard mapping works.

scratch that, it looks like the VGA OSD works.

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:23 am

Oh nice ..!

Ill give it a go and see how it works .. I appreciate it! I am sure others will as well ..

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:35 am

I see it has "boot.rom" I think that filename is already in use by another core .. nes? maybe?

all I can get so far is a screen filled with "@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@"

so either something I dont have set right or its possibly? not finding the boot.rom ? if it has to be in /media/fat maybe call it HT1080Z.rom to avoid collision with other files? .. idk..

EDIT: Ok, I renamed boot.rom to HT1080Z.rom (as thats what I think it was called on the mist) and it seems to be working now.. looks good so far thanks! .. will give it a run this weekend with some games, so far haunted house is working !

alanswx

Postby alanswx » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:27 am

ericgus wrote:

I see it has "boot.rom" I think that filename is already in use by another core .. nes? maybe?

all I can get so far is a screen filled with "@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@"

so either something I dont have set right or its possibly? not finding the boot.rom ? if it has to be in /media/fat maybe call it HT1080Z.rom to avoid collision with other files? .. idk..

EDIT: Ok, I renamed boot.rom to HT1080Z.rom (as thats what I think it was called on the mist) and it seems to be working now.. looks good so far thanks! .. will give it a run this weekend with some games, so far haunted house is working !

If you create a folder called ht1080z then you can put the .cas files and the boot rom in there. Otherwise renaming it works in the root directory.

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:28 am

alanswx wrote:If you create a folder called ht1080z then you can put the .cas files and the boot rom in there. Otherwise renaming it works in the root directory.

well I tried that too.. and I think its picking up on "boot.rom" thats used by another core first that also needs to be in the root directory for that core .. so it barfs and never looks for anything in the ht1080z folder??

that said, renaming it ht1080z.rom in the root seems to have resolved the issue when there is another boot.rom for another core present.

NML32
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby NML32 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:00 pm

Thank you for porting the core over to the MiSTer. :cheers:

https://youtu.be/D9CVQqJ_aNE

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:47 pm

NML32 wrote:Thank you for porting the core over to the MiSTer. :cheers:

Curious did you use boot.rom in the root or rename it to ht1080z.rom ? How did you configure your setup.. just wondering as I might have my stuff all wrong..

NML32
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby NML32 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:56 pm

ericgus wrote:
NML32 wrote:Thank you for porting the core over to the MiSTer. :cheers:

Curious did you use boot.rom in the root or rename it to ht1080z.rom ? How did you configure your setup.. just wondering as I might have my stuff all wrong..

I placed it in a folder called HT1080Z and named it boot.rom. I wanted to put it in my bootrom folder and call it HT1080Z.rom but it didn't work there.

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:48 am

alanswx Just curious if this core has been placed into the official MiSTer cores so it can get updates etc..?

I dont see it listed as one of the cores in the standard mister repo..

For reference here is the MiSTer HT1080z github.

perhaps it just got overlooked?

alanswx

Postby alanswx » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:51 am

ericgus wrote:alanswx Just curious if this core has been placed into the official MiSTer cores so it can get updates etc..?

I need to move it over.. I haven't yet. I was going to upgrade sys again.. maybe in a few weeks.

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:11 am

alanswx wrote:
ericgus wrote:alanswx Just curious if this core has been placed into the official MiSTer cores so it can get updates etc..?

I need to move it over.. I haven't yet. I was going to upgrade sys again.. maybe in a few weeks.

Ok thanks for the response (and your work on the core!)!!!

alanswx

Postby alanswx » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:38 pm

ericgus wrote:
alanswx wrote:

Do you think it is working well enough? I find the disk loading flakey. But I am not sure if that is because I don’t know how it is supposed to work?

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:11 am

alanswx wrote:
ericgus wrote:
alanswx wrote:

Do you think it is working well enough? I find the disk loading flakey. But I am not sure if that is because I don’t know how it is supposed to work?

Works well enough for me .. id say its fine for a 1.0 but I haven't done a massive amount of testing outside of a few games that I used to play the tar out of back in the day .. but at least if the core is in the standard repo it might get more visibility from people who are far more intimately familiar with the machine. I know there are some pretty large TRS80 fan groups out there with a lot of very techie people. Disk aside, the only thing I might add feature wise is the UART interface for software-emulated modem connectivity (provided by the mister on the linux side) .. I suspect joystick support might be nice (but i am not sure how that stuff worked on a real TRS80 -- those techie folks could help a lot here)

alanswx

Postby alanswx » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:04 pm

ericgus wrote:
alanswx wrote:
ericgus wrote:

Works well enough for me .. id say its fine for a 1.0 but I haven't done a massive amount of testing outside of a few games that I used to play the tar out of back in the day .. but at least if the core is in the standard repo it might get more visibility from people who are far more intimately familiar with the machine. I know there are some pretty large TRS80 fan groups out there with a lot of very techie people. Disk aside, the only thing I might add feature wise is the UART interface for software-emulated modem connectivity (provided by the mister on the linux side) .. I suspect joystick support might be nice (but i am not sure how that stuff worked on a real TRS80 -- those techie folks could help a lot here)

The UART / modem board looks a bit complicated. We would need to build the expansion board, and the serial board, and the uart chip. Maybe we should see if the original author has plans to do that.

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:01 am

alanswx wrote:
ericgus wrote:
alanswx wrote:

The UART / modem board looks a bit complicated. We would need to build the expansion board, and the serial board, and the uart chip. Maybe we should see if the original author has plans to do that.

No need its already baked into the UART MIDI stuff already in MiSTer.. (oddly its part of the software MIDI stuff), just need to "wire it up" in the core to the existing UART presented by the MiSTer (like in the Atari ST, C64, AO486 and Amiga cores already do now), its called Midilink and its part of the base mister software .. see more here viewtopic.php?f=117&t=35031&start=275&hilit=midilink

alanswx

Postby alanswx » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:55 am

ericgus wrote:
alanswx wrote:
ericgus wrote:

No need its already baked into the UART MIDI stuff already in MiSTer.. (oddly its part of the software MIDI stuff), just need to "wire it up" in the core to the existing UART presented by the MiSTer (like in the Atari ST, C64, AO486 and Amiga cores already do now), its called Midilink and its part of the base mister software .. see more here viewtopic.php?f=117&t=35031&start=275&hilit=midilink

To get it to work in the ht1080z we need to implement a bunch of hardware on the Tandy side. I am working on other things now. See if the original core author wants to do it.

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:41 am

alanswx wrote:
ericgus wrote:
alanswx wrote:

To get it to work in the ht1080z we need to implement a bunch of hardware on the Tandy side. I am working on other things now. See if the original core author wants to do it.

Oh it was more a "nice to have" sorta thing.. no rush .. just throwing it out there as to what could be added to the core beyond what its got now. I think for now just getting the existing core included with the standard MiSTer cores is sufficient. someone might see it and decide to enhance it etc..

alanswx

Postby alanswx » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:14 pm

ericgus wrote:
alanswx wrote:
ericgus wrote:

Oh it was more a "nice to have" sorta thing.. no rush .. just throwing it out there as to what could be added to the core beyond what its got now. I think for now just getting the existing core included with the standard MiSTer cores is sufficient. someone might see it and decide to enhance it etc..

It would be nice to have. I think I would add serial to the Mac first so I could play bolo.

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:11 am

alanswx wrote:
ericgus wrote:
alanswx wrote:

It would be nice to have. I think I would add serial to the Mac first so I could play bolo.

I'd love to have serial on the PlusTOO core as well .. I am a huge BBS fanatic and being able to utilize the soft-modem built into the Midilink stuff on the MiSTer by linking the MiSTer's UART into the PlusTOO core would be great..

Return to “MiSTer”