Postby Sorgelig » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:50 am

which previous version you've used?
which buttons you can't map?

Maxarus
Atarian
Atarian

Re: MISTer (Main Core)

Postby Maxarus » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:35 am

I have been keeping up with all core updates so it would be the last one. Not really sure which core it stopped working with. i reverted to prevoious core and it still didnt work. All d pad inputs work correctly but the b button and y buttons will not map..

rezb1t
Atarian
Atarian

Input drop issues on MiSTer since sometime around FB update?

Postby rezb1t » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:09 pm

Hi there! I recently got a MiSTer and it's really great. I have made this thread to report an issue that has been discussed in the Classic Gaming Discord for the past day.

Essentially, 4 different users have reported random input drops while playing various cores. A few people mentioned it during play of the SNES core, and someone else mentioned that it happened in the GB core. It seems to be somewhat rare, and such dropouts are very small, so it is hard to detect.

I spoke to Rysha aka Kitrinx and she stated that she has noticed input dropouts since around when the framebuffer changes were introduced. The first time she reported an issue with inputs was 20190525. She also pointed out that when this dropout occurs, it causes her KVM switch to switch inputs automatically.

I wish I had a more concrete description of what is going on, but it is difficult to narrow down. I will continue to look for any more information and post back here.

djmartins
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: Input drop issues on MiSTer since sometime around FB update?

Postby djmartins » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:04 am

rezb1t wrote:I wish I had a more concrete description of what is going on, but it is difficult to narrow down. I will continue to look for any more information and post back here.

I started having trouble last year with that and switched USB hubs and it was fine for a while.
Then it started up again and a repeat with another hub.
I bought one of the 7 port hubs as designed by Sorgelig and now don't have the problems
for quite a while now.

MartinW
Atari User
Atari User

Postby MartinW » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:22 am

I had an issue last night in the Minimig core where I noticed that opening a document (a readme) inside the core was very slow. I noticed that if I went into the Amiga HDUtil tool, enumerating the SCSI bus was incredibly slow, until that is, I moved the mouse. If I constantly moved the mouse about the file I/O in the core sped up. I reset the DE-10 using the red button on the I/O board and the problem went away. Then it was time for bed so I haven't looked into it further.

I don't know if this is related but I don't recall seeing anything like this prior to the FB being implemented.

JamesF
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby JamesF » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:57 am

Sorge, is it possible to video_info in the System tab in core OSD?
Viewing video_info at any time will be much more useful than showing it for few seconds or permanently,, especially for analog output.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:02 am

Some day i will add it.
Actually, for debugging purpose you can check the video parameters in USB console connection.

jpxdude
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby jpxdude » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:02 pm

With the latest 20190609 core, I am getting an issue with inputs (only tested in SNES and GB so far). I am using an XBOX 360 Wireless controller with the official wireless dongle.

I've found that with the 'X' button on my controller held down, I cannot press any other button at the same time (B, Y, A, L, R).

For example, in Super Mario World, I would map the X button to Y in SNES, and hold this button to run, and press A (mapped as B in SNES) to jump, however if the X button is held down, no other button registers input. The only thing that works with the Y button held down is the directional pad.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hewhoisred
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Hewhoisred » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:28 pm

jpxdude wrote:With the latest 20190609 core, I am getting an issue with inputs (only tested in SNES and GB so far). I am using an XBOX 360 Wireless controller with the official wireless dongle.

I've found that with the 'X' button on my controller held down, I cannot press any other button at the same time (B, Y, A, L, R).

For example, in Super Mario World, I would map the X button to Y in SNES, and hold this button to run, and press A (mapped as B in SNES) to jump, however if the X button is held down, no other button registers input. The only thing that works with the Y button held down is the directional pad.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure this will help you but:

Navigate on your SD card to the config folder and clear out all the .map files for the problem core(s). Try a fresh remap and see if it improves.

jpxdude
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby jpxdude » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:21 pm

Hewhoisred wrote:
I'm not sure this will help you but:

Navigate on your SD card to the config folder and clear out all the .map files for the problem core(s). Try a fresh remap and see if it improves.

Thanks for the response! It doesn't appear to be a problem with the cores. I tried an 8bitdo N30 Pro 2 with a dongle attached, and it is working fine. Seems to be only a problem with the Xbox 360 wireless controller for now :(

rezb1t
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Input drop issues on MiSTer since sometime around FB update?

Postby rezb1t » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:32 am

rezb1t wrote:I wish I had a more concrete description of what is going on, but it is difficult to narrow down. I will continue to look for any more information and post back here.

I haven't had input dropping issues in quite a while now after I switched controllers. So it seems it was something on my end. There might be something affecting Rysha's KVM switch still but I just wanted to follow up and say that I haven't had problems since!

digitron
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby digitron » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:42 pm

Per https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... ustomizing - "Press F1 once rebooted into MiSTer to select your background"

Does nothing, F1 doesn't bring up any form of menu to select new menu.jpg

djmartins

Postby djmartins » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:11 am

digitron wrote:Per https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... ustomizing - "Press F1 once rebooted into MiSTer to select your background"

It changes the background. aka wallpaper, by cycling through them, in MiSTer and does not bring up a new menu.
When in the main MiSTer menu a F12 brings up a menu where you can see your network IP and run scripts and F12
brings you back from there....

digitron
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby digitron » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:19 am

djmartins wrote:
digitron wrote:Per https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... ustomizing - "Press F1 once rebooted into MiSTer to select your background"

It changes the background. aka wallpaper, by cycling through them, in MiSTer and does not bring up a new menu.
When in the main MiSTer menu a F12 brings up a menu where you can see your network IP and run scripts and F12
brings you back from there....

Sorry meant "background image", not menu. I copied an image, renamed "menu.jpg", F1 doesn't do anything, I'm on the latest code. Thx

I was able to change the font easy, I'm missing something with the background.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:52 am

It's only for HDMI output (or VGA with vga_scaler=1)

digitron
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby digitron » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:34 pm

Sorgelig wrote:It's only for HDMI output (or VGA with vga_scaler=1)

Gotcha, thanks.

JamesF
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby JamesF » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:20 am

@Sorgelig
Will it be possible to add folder browsing for Filters inside cores?

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:52 am

I will think about it.

selfslaughter
Atarian
Atarian

Postby selfslaughter » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:54 am

I've been having a blast with the mister since setting it up, so firstly thank-you to all involved!

I was wondering if you had considered adding a timeout when mapping controls? I mainly play console/arcade games and the only time I seem to need a keyboard is when setting up or changing my controls as a way to skip a button.

If it just gave up and moved onto the next button after say 10 seconds, It would virtually remove the need for a keyboard at all apart from computer base cores. :wink:

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:58 am

While it's good to be able to skip/finish the mapping without keyboard, i don't like idea with timeout.. Who will wait 10 seconds? And if there are several buttons to skip it will take minutes.
Need to find a better way.
May be can use I/O board button to skip/finish.

selfslaughter
Atarian
Atarian

Postby selfslaughter » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:08 pm

Yeah, not an ideal solution. But currently if you open the in game controller menu you are stuck with no way of skipping buttons or even backing out without connecting a keyboard.

Just seemed like an easy out. :wink:
Would it be possible to make the home button skip, and relocate the clear all function to holding the home button or another key on the keyboard?

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:03 pm

Keyboard is usual accessory for MiSTer. MiSTer is not a pure console, don't forget.
It's not a problem to have a micro wireless keyboard to get a full experience including computer cores.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:49 am

how about using up/down to select options after they are defined?

selfslaughter
Atarian
Atarian

Postby selfslaughter » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:38 am

Fair call.

I was just offering up suggestions as outside of the pc cores, the only time you actually need a keyboard is to press the space bar to skip buttons when changing your controls in-game. (or just turn it off as the menu button is now bound to delete everything) :lol:

Everything else works brilliantly with just the controller.

All good either way. God bless open-source. <3

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:37 pm

Newsdee wrote:how about using up/down to select options after they are defined?

good hint.

Return to “MiSTer”