SNES core

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: SNES core

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:34 am

I'm not sure what do you mean. Some picture/garbage appear for some time when you press the reset? If so, then it's fine. Many registers gets reset and some picture may appear depending how current ROM fills the memory.

Ashenshards
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Ashenshards » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:04 pm

In this example, while playing 'Super Metroid' using reset causes a screen from 'Chrono Trigger' to appear during the reset process. If I play Bob and use reset, there is no such screen appearing.

sofakng
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby sofakng » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:44 pm

Are there any plans or discussion about implementing save states similar to the SD2SNES (at least the beta/alternate firmware by 'FURiOUS')?

rashohyo
Atarian
Atarian

Postby rashohyo » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:39 pm

Hi everyone,
I’ve read for days about this core and i’ve tried everything (i think) every kind of rom but no games strats..i got always a black screen...someone can tell me where i’m wrong?
Tried sms and genesis cores and it seems everything good...

Many thanks

Dirtbag
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Dirtbag » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:52 am

rashohyo wrote:Hi everyone,
I’ve read for days about this core and i’ve tried everything (i think) every kind of rom but no games strats..i got always a black screen...someone can tell me where i’m wrong?

Many thanks

Do you have a SDRAM module?

hyperterminal
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby hyperterminal » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:04 pm

Another thing that can cause a black screen with some cores (depending on the resolution) is the option vscale_mode in mister.ini. Try vscale_mode=0 and see if that helps.

rashohyo
Atarian
Atarian

Postby rashohyo » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:16 pm

Dirtbag wrote:
rashohyo wrote:Hi everyone,

Many thanks

Do you have a SDRAM module?

Yes i have it...

rashohyo
Atarian
Atarian

Postby rashohyo » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:17 pm

hyperterminal wrote:Another thing that can cause a black screen with some cores (depending on the resolution) is the option vscale_mode in mister.ini. Try vscale_mode=0 and see if that helps.

just tried but nothing happens...every time i mount a rom it flash a little bit at the bottom of the screen than nothing happens...

Grego2d
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby Grego2d » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:15 pm

I decided to give fixing the turbo mode for SNES another crack and I believe I've almost got it.

I could only test the roms I can rip from my collection, but here is a list of the bugs it fixes:

Super Ghouls And Ghosts - No more graphical glitches on waves or tower
Legend of Zelda - Buttons are correct while on map screen
Super Metroid - Bottom right of map now only slightly disappears during screen transitions
Super Castelvania - Did not see any graphical issues in first level
Super Rtype - Fixes issue where sometimes sounds would be bugged
Super Mario World - No more glitched pixels on bottom of reserve item box
Contra 3 - Loads with turbo enabled

The only game I tested that had any serious issue was Super Adventure Island, sometimes it would fail to load music. This is still a work in progress, but it seems like a major improvement, I'd like people to test further.

Here is a link to the build:
https://ufile.io/qver8hro

Please let me know what you think, still trying to figure out the issue with adventure island and cleaning up code for a pull request.

Grego2d
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby Grego2d » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:36 pm

A few more attempts later, I believe we have stable overclocking on SNES!

Here is the new build:
https://ufile.io/hlvs9i2a

I have sent a pull request to sorg. This build fixes the sound issues present in Super Adventure Island by disabling turbo when NMI is disabled. Enjoy.

drj3rk
Atariator
Atariator

Postby drj3rk » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:29 pm

Nice work! I love the overclocked functionality, and it's nice to know it's stabilized. :cheers:

rashohyo
Atarian
Atarian

Postby rashohyo » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:31 pm

Finally everything works fine now...i think i have problem on my sdram or on the power supplay...

Someone could explain me why no game saves my progress? it seems everything good when i save in game but when i reboot the game the slot is empty...(dkc, smw, chrono trigger..)

thanks

catenaccio
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby catenaccio » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:19 am

rashohyo wrote:Someone could explain me why no game saves my progress? it seems everything good when i save in game but when i reboot the game the slot is empty...(dkc, smw, chrono trigger..)

Yep, I´m still trying to figure out how games are saved in whatever core I use, nothing works for me :shrug:

JamesF
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby JamesF » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:54 pm

Open the OSD (menu button) to mister save after the game saves, that's how all cores work.
This is done to preserve SD card life.

No need to press "Save/Load Backup RAM",, this is an obsolete function.

catenaccio
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby catenaccio » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:40 pm

Tnx James. So I guess that you can only save in games that have "save" feature implemented

I mean, this is not like save states from other platforms, where you can save in any game you want, right?

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:22 pm

catenaccio wrote:Tnx James. So I guess that you can only save in games that have "save" feature implemented

I mean, this is not like save states from other platforms, where you can save in any game you want, right?

Yes. Just like on real SNES console.

catenaccio
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby catenaccio » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:46 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Yes. Just like on real SNES console.

Ok, thank you

rashohyo
Atarian
Atarian

Postby rashohyo » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:52 pm

JamesF wrote:Open the OSD (menu button) to mister save after the game saves, that's how all cores work.
This is done to preserve SD card life.

No need to press "Save/Load Backup RAM",, this is an obsolete function.

Ok i have used the option autosave ON after saved inside the game and finally i have it...
Is it better to have roms in zip files or unzipped?

Thank you so much

Grego2d
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby Grego2d » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:11 am

Worked on turbo some more, fixed several remaining issues:

- Secret of mana music
- Super adventure island would occasionally not play songs
- Super R-Type occasional sound bugs
- Super metroid reduced pixel flickering on map

Here's the build:
https://ufile.io/mizjuqoe

Pull request has been sent.

Lightwave
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Lightwave » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:46 am

Grego2d wrote:Worked on turbo some more, fixed several remaining issues

Is there a list of SNES games that benefit from being overclocked? Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts is one well known example, but what are some other games with noticeable improvements?

(I'm assuming that Turbo is meant to be applied selectively to a few specific games, rather than just being enabled by default for everything, is this correct?)

Thanks for your contribution.

JamesF
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby JamesF » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:02 am

Excellent work Grego2d!

@Lightwave
Yes, almost all the snes library benefits from the Turbo function, even the most basic Super Mario World.

Here is the list so far:
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/SNES_Mi ... S_Turbo.md
* Notes are old, it's much more stable now that Grego worked on it.

MordecaiWalfish
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby MordecaiWalfish » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:36 am

Grego2d wrote:Worked on turbo some more, fixed several remaining issues:

- Secret of mana music
- Super adventure island would occasionally not play songs
- Super R-Type occasional sound bugs
- Super metroid reduced pixel flickering on map

Here's the build:
https://ufile.io/mizjuqoe

Pull request has been sent.

Nice work on refining the Turbo feature!

I've noticed this new Turbo does not effect SuperFX at all anymore, where it gave a significant boost before, more than the SuperFX turbo actually in most cases.

SGnG the new turbo has fixed the graphical issues I noted before in the game with that enabled. I'll play through again soon to verify all is good there.

Secret of Mana's music not going all crazy is a nice improvement, and the game definitely benefits from slowdown-reduction.

One request I have, if this is possible, is for Magic Sword to not have the music/sound cut out on some stages. The new turbo takes care of all slowdown in the game, but some levels have no sound at all and it doesn't come back until a boss battle, and then has sound again for the next stage and goes silent after that until the next boss. I havent tried this newest build you linked yet, but that would be a game that benefits dramatically from slowdown reduction.

Thanks for the inclusion of this to the SNES core. I'll update the Turbo information page on the Github once it is tested a bit further and in main.

Lightwave
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Lightwave » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:08 pm

JamesF wrote:Here is the list so far:
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/SNES_Mi ... S_Turbo.md
* Notes are old, it's much more stable now that Grego worked on it.

Thanks! exactly what I was looking for.

Grego2d
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby Grego2d » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:55 pm

JamesF and Lightwave, thanks!

Mordecai, I played through SGnG a couple days ago with the previous version of turbo, worked great. I played through the first loop, did not fight the final boss. I'll see what I can do about SFX games, since they seemed to have very little issues with the original unstable turbo something should be possible. Please try magic sword again, I do not own a copy of it so I cannot test, but from your description it sounds like the same issue Super Adventure Island was having. Thanks.

Grego2d
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby Grego2d » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:36 pm

Did some testing with SFX games, you are correct, all additional frame rate is lost with the new changes. I took a look at stunt race fx on the old version of turbo and I don't see any graphical glitches in first person. However that game always looks like a glitchy mess to me, so maybe I'm just missing it. I can re-enable unthrottled turbo during SFX games, but the easiest way of doing it is hacky and I suspect Sorge wouldn't like it (Passing SFX info down to CPU.vhd :D). So I'll have to modify the Turbo signals to have multiple modes, one of which is "unthrottled". You won't see it as an option, but if you have cpu turbo enabled with SFX active it will activate unthrottled mode.

-Edit-

Here is a build that fixes SFX for testing:

https://ufile.io/flwuit84

It's kind of hacky, when SFX turbo and CPU turbo are both on then CPU turbo is unthrottled. I'll do a proper version of this fix in the next few days and send a pull request.

Return to “MiSTer”