SNES core

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

MordecaiWalfish
Retro freak
Retro freak

Re: SNES core

Postby MordecaiWalfish » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:58 am

accidental double-post (don't know how to delete here)
Last edited by MordecaiWalfish on Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

warham
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby warham » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:40 am

In general soft reset doesn't really seem to reset everything. Typically my gamepads stop functioning with soft reset. Is reset even part of the individual core function at all?

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:42 pm

MordecaiWalfish wrote:The new core seems to have some kind of negative interaction with the current TGFX16 core (2-18-19). When loading the SNES test core into a game it plays just fine, but then if you cold-reboot and try loading the TGFX16 core there is only audio-- no video. This happens with both vsync_Adjust 1 and vsync_adjust 2, but does not effect vsync_adjust 0. You have to physically unplug the DE-10 nano and then plug it back in to get video to show for the TGFX16 core at this point.

There is no relation between cores.
The issue may happen if quickly switch between cores.
Generally speakeing, I'm tired to explain this again and again..

warham wrote:In general soft reset doesn't really seem to reset everything. Typically my gamepads stop functioning with soft reset. Is reset even part of the individual core function at all?

i don't know what is soft reset. Pressing the reset button on I/O board does a cold reset.

USB devices may have issues as a part of the non-perfect USB host driver/hardware. Everybody should say "thanks" to Designware company which amazingly implemented all devices in wrong and buggy ways.

MordecaiWalfish
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby MordecaiWalfish » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:19 pm

Sorgelig wrote:There is no relation between cores.
The issue may happen if quickly switch between cores.
Generally speakeing, I'm tired to explain this again and again..

Does this issue sometimes happen when you cold-reboot between cores? Because that is the issue I'm encountering. I am not just quick-swapping them.

This behavior did not start until I tried a combination of the SNES Test core and the official TGFX16 release core, so there is definitely something new going on there that was not before with the official release SNES core.

I updated my previous comment to clarify that the OSD is visible and working even though the core's video does not display, when this issue occurs.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:13 pm

Menu is also core. So you cold reboot and quickly start SNES/TGFX? this is also counted as quick core switch.
Menu core also clears the SDRAM/DDR (give it to work 3-5 seconds at least) so it's a good workaround for cores relay on memory without cleaning.

MordecaiWalfish
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby MordecaiWalfish » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:42 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Menu is also core. So you cold reboot and quickly start SNES/TGFX? this is also counted as quick core switch.
Menu core also clears the SDRAM/DDR (give it to work 3-5 seconds at least) so it's a good workaround for cores relay on memory without cleaning.

This is good to know-- I thought when the cold boot was done and it was back to the menu everything would be cleared. Before I would not have issues with loading a core so quickly after a cold reboot, but for some reason that issue is more pronounced now with the updated SNES core.

I will just be a bit more patient when loading different cores from now on. Thanks for your help.

PsyFX
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby PsyFX » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:51 pm

was playing around with random games and found an issue with this game.

Shadow Dancer - The Secret Of Shinobi (Europe, Brazil) has garbled sprites

JamesF
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby JamesF » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:59 pm

PsyFX wrote:Shadow Dancer - The Secret Of Shinobi

That's a Sega Genesis exclusive,, no such game on the Snes.

PsyFX
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby PsyFX » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:09 pm

JamesF wrote:
PsyFX wrote:Shadow Dancer - The Secret Of Shinobi

That's a Sega Genesis exclusive,, no such game on the Snes.

its a Sega Master System game...

I posted in a SMS thread, then I realized that was for the "MIST"
then accidentally posted here...
Just ignore me, Was having one of those mornings...

will post in the proper thread now

softtest1
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby softtest1 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:48 pm

Rudra no Hihou has a problem with audio distortion. To reproduce, start a new game and select Shion's story. The music when you see the castle in the beginning will be distorted.

Star Ocean has a problem with flickering lines on the map. To reproduce, load the save so that you get out into the field. The map will be visible on the side of the screen but there will be flickering lines on it when you move around. I'm using an unmodified NTSC-J rom.

Star Ocean save file: https://ufile.io/6whq0jne

jayp76
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby jayp76 » Tue May 07, 2019 7:02 pm

Is this kind of mod possible to implement on current MiSTer hardware regarding speed, fpga wiring, etc?
There is also the Super Mario World SA1 Enhancement.

Grego2d
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby Grego2d » Wed May 08, 2019 6:46 pm

Hi, tried out Vitor Vilela's Gradius III SA1 patch on mister, it shows the startup grid then the screen blinks and nothing happens.

https://github.com/VitorVilela7/SA1-Root

There is a link to his work, a .bps patch is included in the Gradius-III directory.

Here is some footage of the game in action, he has done his test on real hardware using a modified sa1 cart:

https://twitter.com/HackerVilela/status ... 6614513665

In my attempts to get the game running I modified snes-mister to force sa1 to be active at all times, still no luck, same results.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed May 08, 2019 6:59 pm

it will be fixed in next release

Grego2d
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby Grego2d » Wed May 08, 2019 7:05 pm

Thank you, insanely quick response. You, srg320 and the rest of the mister team are doing an amazing job, keep up the great work.

I'm thinking about porting my SNES network adapter to mister, gotta spend some more time learning a HDL.

Here's some footage from a few months back:

https://youtu.be/GJ1-LpBFhvg

Grego2d
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby Grego2d » Wed May 08, 2019 7:21 pm

Also is the change to fix interrupt vectors on sa1 related to fixing Gradius? I downloaded the code just hours before you added that. :D

Grego2d
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby Grego2d » Wed May 08, 2019 8:08 pm

Apparently it was, compiled the latest code Gradius III SA1 runs perfect! Amazing

Dirtbag
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Dirtbag » Sat May 11, 2019 7:30 pm

With wiimote and Zapper support in the NES core being so amazing, are there any plans for Superscope support on the SNES core? I'm sure a wiimote could fit inside an actual super scope.

kitrinx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kitrinx » Sat May 11, 2019 8:16 pm

Dirtbag wrote:With wiimote and Zapper support in the NES core being so amazing, are there any plans for Superscope support on the SNES core? I'm sure a wiimote could fit inside an actual super scope.

I am going to finish some work on NES core and then evaluate adding light gun support to some other cores.

Dirtbag
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Dirtbag » Sat May 11, 2019 8:32 pm

Great to hear.

kitrinx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kitrinx » Sun May 12, 2019 3:35 pm

Looks like sorg is ahead of me. Seems like you might see your superscope support soon :)

ReedSolomon
Atari User
Atari User

Postby ReedSolomon » Mon May 13, 2019 3:27 am

Grego2d wrote:Thank you, insanely quick response. You, srg320 and the rest of the mister team are doing an amazing job, keep up the great work.

I'm thinking about porting my SNES network adapter to mister, gotta spend some more time learning a HDL.

Here's some footage from a few months back:

https://youtu.be/GJ1-LpBFhvg

That would be cool. Perhaps even useful for other cores. Gameboy networked could be like Link Cable?

hex
Atarian
Atarian

Postby hex » Mon May 13, 2019 6:13 pm

I saw SuperScope lightgun support has been added.
I have two question:
- can i use a wiimote to emulate the lightgun on SNES core?
- with the superscope support also OBC-1 support has been added? I ask because the only game that uses OBC-1 is a lightgun game.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Mon May 13, 2019 6:41 pm

OBC1 and Super Scope are 2 completely unrelated things.
Did you see announce of OBC1 has been added?

Dirtbag
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Dirtbag » Mon May 13, 2019 9:54 pm

I've just had great fun playing Yoshi's Safari with a Wiimote. Many thanks to everyone that made that possible.

I have 1 suggestion, as super scope games tend to allow for calibration and I have a Wiimote gun holder could there be an option to have no crosshair displayed?

Also I hear there is an Easter egg in Lemmings 2 where you can shoot the lemmings with the light gun but I couldn't get it to work. Apparently the scope has to be in port 2 I don't know if that could be the problem. Nothing important just sounded like a fun thing to try

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Mon May 13, 2019 10:57 pm

Yes, i will add no-cross option.
I don't know why you can't use Easter Egg in Lemmings 2. Probably it needs some secret way to enable. Lightgun cannot be used in Port1 as it has no signal used by gun.
The Scope control through joy1/joy2 you see in OSD has nothing to do with Port1/2 of SNES. Scope is always connected to port 2.

Return to “MiSTer”