Newbie questions

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

pbsk8
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Newbie questions

Postby pbsk8 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:07 pm

I am thinking about buying a mister fpga, but to use it on a crt tv 21'' which has s-video.

since the mister fpga is only hdmi output, how can I connect it to my tv without increasing any lag?

sajattack
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby sajattack » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:51 pm

pbsk8 wrote:I am thinking about buying a mister fpga, but to use it on a crt tv 21'' which has s-video.

since the mister fpga is only hdmi output, how can I connect it to my tv without increasing any lag?

https://www.antoniovillena.es/store/pro ... o-adapter/

djsquare
Atari User
Atari User

Postby djsquare » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:48 pm

sajattack wrote:
pbsk8 wrote:I am thinking about buying a mister fpga, but to use it on a crt tv 21'' which has s-video.

Has anyone got this to work. I can't get any picture on my Commodore 1701 monitor

sajattack
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby sajattack » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:25 pm

djsquare wrote:
sajattack wrote:

Has anyone got this to work. I can't get any picture on my Commodore 1701 monitor

Lucky for you, I also have a 1701 monitor and spent some time tweaking the video settings. Try this in mister.ini video_mode=640,0,32,104,240,1,2,1,12000

djsquare
Atari User
Atari User

Postby djsquare » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:49 pm

sajattack wrote:
djsquare wrote:

Lucky for you, I also have a 1701 monitor and spent some time tweaking the video settings. Try this in mister.ini video_mode=640,0,32,104,240,1,2,1,12000

Awesome man, I'll give it a shot after work :cheers:

danielb
Atariator
Atariator

Postby danielb » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:14 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by danielb on Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

pbsk8
Atarian
Atarian

Postby pbsk8 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:12 pm

sajattack wrote:

but the mister fpga has only hdmi, and this adapter is vga on onde side and svideo on the other (my tv is s-video)

still noobie question here, how can I connect this? :oops:

sajattack
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby sajattack » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:37 am

pbsk8 wrote:
sajattack wrote:

but the mister fpga has only hdmi, and this adapter is vga on onde side and svideo on the other (my tv is s-video)

still noobie question here, how can I connect this? :oops:

The IO board has VGA.

kublai
Atarian
Atarian

Postby kublai » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:08 pm

Hello All,

I am a newbie to the Mister FPGA world and wanted to get started. My interest is playing SNES/NES/SEGA, etc with Mister. I am looking to purchase a Mister board so can someone tell me if this is the correct board? I have ordered the 128MB/IO Board v6.0 from Etsy and want to make sure this is the correct board that will work with the addon boards I ordered from Etsy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B8 ... 5MNTE4NK4Y

Thanks in advance.

Bouboule69
Atarian
Atarian

Trouble using the keyboard

Postby Bouboule69 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:50 pm

Hey guys,

So being interested by the whole Mister thing, I've bought and received my DE10-nano card today. During the sd card's setup everything seemed to be doing fine until I've turned it on and realised I couldn't use my (wired) keyboard to navigate the menu.

It is connected with a cheap USB-OTG (micro USB) adapter (with a single USB plug) bought from ebay.

My keyboard usually lights up when plugged into something, but here doesn't.

What could be the problem?
Have I missed something during the setup?

Thanks

djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Trouble using the keyboard

Postby djmartins » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:29 am

Bouboule69 wrote:What could be the problem?
Have I missed something during the setup?

Thanks

This is a pic with the ports labeled on the board, note there are two USB ports on it and hopefully you
just have it plugged into the wrong one.

https://camo.githubusercontent.com/12af ... 702e6a7067

here is the wiki page: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... connection
The MiSTer wiki is very well done and should be your first source to check on MiSTer issues.

Bouboule69
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Bouboule69 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:31 am

Thanks for the answer.

Just to be sure... it is the USB otg port (usb micro a-b) that is supposed to be used to plug the keyboard, right?
Maybe I've used a faulty converter cable, I ordered an other one.

mancrascal
Atarian
Atarian

Postby mancrascal » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:05 am

One of my keyboards doesn't work in mine. Swapped out and it was fine. I think a few people have had issues with certain Logitech. I'm using a stupidly expensive Corsair one atm and it works fine but my smaller media centre type keyboard was having none of it.

kublai
Atarian
Atarian

Postby kublai » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:47 pm

sajattack wrote:

Anywhere in the USA that sells this board? I also want Audio out and I bought the I/O v6.0 so will I be able to get audio?

Bouboule69
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Bouboule69 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:55 pm

Hey guys, I could really use some help here.

So as I was saying here a few days ago, I could not use my USB keyboard on my nano card. I've did what Mancrascal suggested, and tried an other keyboard with no luck.

I've since tried an other USB OTG and doesn't work either.

I live in Europe and at first I was using a power converter, but since the Nano's power cord is unniversal, i've later swithed with a simple power plug adaptor.

Today i've came across this thread:

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D5 ... uage=en_US

It seems like it is a reccurent problem. Is there anything else I could try?

At this point I just wish someone could direct me to a cheap keyboard that is 100% sure to work with mister (like the wireless one that Smokemonster uses).

I've ordrered a (third) USB otg like this one: Image

Is there any risk for my nano card if I plug that OTG to a 5v plug?

Thanks

Shaneus
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Shaneus » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:29 pm

I have that exact USB hub pictured, but also a power adapter for it. I have connected a Sega Saturn SLS USB pad, wifi dongle and dongle for the Logitech K400 keyboard and it works just fine :)

jca
Atariator
Atariator

Postby jca » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:51 pm

There should be no problem using your powered hub.
Here I use a cheap unpowered 4 ports USB OTG hub labeled MakerShop. Connected to it: one Logitech F310 controller and 2 wireless dongles.
One dongle for a Logitech KB K330 and the other to a Logitech mouse. Why 2 dongles? Batteries leak and out of 2 sets I saved 1 KB and 1 mouse. I never had a problem with this setting but I am thinking of getting a MISTer USB board for convenience.
Jean-Claude

Bouboule69
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Bouboule69 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:59 pm

Shaneus wrote:I have that exact USB hub pictured, but also a power adapter for it. I have connected a Sega Saturn SLS USB pad, wifi dongle and dongle for the Logitech K400 keyboard and it works just fine :)

Nice, it should arrive to my mailbox tommorow.

On ebay's description of this hub, it is written:

There is a 1.7mm port for an external power supply but its connected directly to the 5V line so if you need to externally power, we recommend prying open the case and cutting the red 5V line from the USB connection.

Is this really necessary?

Shaneus
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Shaneus » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:26 pm

Bouboule69 wrote:
There is a 1.7mm port for an external power supply but its connected directly to the 5V line so if you need to externally power, we recommend prying open the case and cutting the red 5V line from the USB connection.

I think it is, because I think that if you don't, power can feed back into the MISTer (which we don't want, we only want the USB devices getting power).

You might not need to, but if it's a $10 hub vs a $150 FPGA I'm definitely not going to risk it. I did with mine and it was easy.

jca
Atariator
Atariator

Postby jca » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:40 pm

Bouboule69 wrote:...

On ebay's description of this hub, it is written:

This is really a bad design especially having a power switch on the HUB they could have wired it like this:
Power Off -> Hub powered via the host.
Power On -> Hub powered via the external power supply.
If you power it via external power supply cut the red wire as instructed.
Jean-Claude

Bouboule69
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Bouboule69 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:50 pm

Thanks for the advices :)

acephd
Atarian
Atarian

Postby acephd » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:51 pm

Hello! I am having trouble with my MiSTer and USB devices.

I have a DE-10 Nano with the USB hub board v1.1, and it was no longer recognizing my bluetooth adapter or the wireless adapter for my keyboard. After opening it up and making sure the connections weren't lose, I tried the following:

-fresh install of the MiSTer software
-ordered a micro usb to usb a adapter that I thought didn't work
-ordered a micro usb to usb a hub that I thought didn't work
-plugged a wired keyboard into the hub, and a wired gamepad, which both work via usb.
-thought that maybe the v1.1 hub might be fine after all and tried a wire gamepad and keyboard and those both don't work.

It seems that even on a clean and updated install of MiSTer files only Wired devices work. No dongles that previously worked in my set up, along with the USB add on board work now. Any guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

UPDATE: I figured it out. So Something happened to my USB hub and it shorted? Or something. It fried all of the usb devices connected to it. I tried a different bluetooth dongle which works fine. So I just need a new USB hub I suppose!

djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby djmartins » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:14 am

acephd wrote:UPDATE: I figured it out. So Something happened to my USB hub and it shorted? Or something. It fried all of the usb devices connected to it. I tried a different bluetooth dongle which works fine. So I just need a new USB hub I suppose!

I had used a few USB hubs that also eventually stopped working and got fed up with it and bought the USB
board that goes underneath with 7 ports and have not had any more problems....

Mills
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Mills » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:25 am

I use a cheap otg with an old usb hub, and I had no problems. Wireless keyboards and gamepads are all working fine.

pbsk8
Atarian
Atarian

Postby pbsk8 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:34 pm

I have seen some smokemonster videos on yt and he says io board is not necessary to use mister fpga

so what about the RTC that I always see in videos on youtube on a list of items you need to build a mister fpga, is it still necessary even if I wont buy an IO board?

Return to “MiSTer”