Newbie questions

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

high5
Atari User
Atari User

Re: Newbie questions

Postby high5 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:14 am

Sorgelig wrote:There is keyboard remap function in Menu core.
Yes, I know. I would rephrase my question to "is there an easy way to map german keyboard layout"? Like loading a standard german keyboard map and then taking care of the media buttons via menue?

MattE888
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby MattE888 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:02 pm

bitfan2011 wrote:RE: ZX Spectrum core

What folder name should I be using for the ROM location on the primary SD? The core doesn't default to the correct location the way some others do. Cheers

I had no idea this was even possible. I had all my rom directories in a folder called GAMES, which was wrong. Oops. Thanks for bringing this up!

Is there a way to have all rom directories in a parent directory, and each core still be able to open the correct rom directory by default? Like this.
Games > NES

Or maybe It would make things more consistent to have roms in a folder structure similar to the one that the updater script creates for the cores. Something like this would be nice:
Games > _Console > NES

I can live with it how it is though, now that I know how to do it. :D

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:15 pm

So, now i have to follow they way updater script does? What else i have to do?

MattE888
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby MattE888 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:52 pm

Sorgelig wrote:So, now i have to follow they way updater script does? What else i have to do?

I'd rather you do what you want to do, so you don't get burned out on programming the MiSTer or get too irritated at the strange requests on the forum.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:37 pm

While Arcades are special kind of cores not requiring any maintenance, it's good to have them separated into _Arcades folder.
But there is no difference between computer and console cores. Consoles just don't require the keyboard - that's the only difference. So i don't keep them split on my SD card. Thus i don't agree with folder structure in updater script. Why i need to enter the folder to run the core while i can have it in the root? I know that Genesis is the console and Atari 800 is computer without having them in specific folder.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:04 am

I prefer to have more folders as there is less to scroll to select another core. Matter of taste I suppose :shrug:

For the same reason I like ROM files organized in alphabetical folders.

Pandemic22
Atarian
Atarian

USB not always working

Postby Pandemic22 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:03 pm

Hi,

I have just set up my MISTer and generally its working fine.

The one problem I keep getting is that when it boots up it doesn't see the usb keyboard.

I have tried several OTG cables and several keyboards but I get the same result. It probably fails about 1 in every 10 boot ups.

On one occasion I could not get the usb to see the keyboard at all, even after 20 boot ups, and I resorted to booting form the original sd card that came with the system. I then when back my MISTer card and all was well.

I was wondering if anyone else has this problem or knew what was going on and how I can fix it.

Thanks

Russell

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: USB not always working

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:26 am

Pandemic22 wrote:Hi,

The one problem I keep getting is that when it boots up it doesn't see the usb keyboard.

I have tried several OTG cables and several keyboards but I get the same result. It probably fails about 1 in every 10 boot ups.

On one occasion I could not get the usb to see the keyboard at all, even after 20 boot ups, and I resorted to booting form the original sd card that came with the system. I then when back my MISTer card and all was well.

I was wondering if anyone else has this problem or knew what was going on and how I can fix it.

Thanks

Russell

You need powered USB HUB at first.

PiddlyD
Atari User
Atari User

Postby PiddlyD » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:17 am

My noob question:

Atari 8 bit and 5200 roms...

Do I understand correctly that I either have to create a .vhd image that has all of them inside it on the primary MicroSD or I have to put them in a secondary MicroSD in the super-expansion board?

lolof
Atariator
Atariator

Postby lolof » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:00 pm

I read the volume audio out from MiSter could be controlled with the volume button from keyboard.
Audio go out through analog plug and I have a K400+ Wireless keyboard with volumes buttons.
I can't set the volume with the keyboard.

Is there something special I should do in order to get the Keyboard's volume buttons to work ? Thank you

EDIT : Found the reply in the forum

I added this line in /config/MiSTer.ini (Section MiSTer) :

Code: Select all

volumectl=1

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:14 am

lolof wrote:EDIT : Found the reply in the forum
I added this line in /config/MiSTer.ini (Section MiSTer) :

This is a fool-proof protection. Some people like to press every key blindly and then complain why there is no sound any more.

Flausch
Atariator
Atariator

Re: USB not always working

Postby Flausch » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:12 pm

Pandemic22 wrote:Hi,

Russell

I used several keyboards (wired and wireless), but never had this problem. I am using a non powered usb hub (makerspot 4 port usb hub)
So either the problem is within the keyboard or maybe with the power supply?
Are you using the original power supply? I had problems, when I used another one, even though it was specified to have 3A instead of the original 2A.

lolof
Atariator
Atariator

Postby lolof » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:20 pm

Another question .....

Every time I am starting Genesis for exemple, it start with scanline at 75%.....
I change it to another value but the next start I am starting the core, it comes back to 75....

Is there a config file where I can definitely change the scanline value for each core ? Thanks

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:32 pm

Just press on Save settings on the system page.

lolof
Atariator
Atariator

Postby lolof » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:15 pm

I feel stupid :-)

Thank you.

attle
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby attle » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:50 am

Noob question, can the OSD be used from a connected gamepad, or is it keyboard only?

witchmaster
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby witchmaster » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:34 am

attle wrote:Noob question, can the OSD be used from a connected gamepad, or is it keyboard only?

It can also be used from a connected gamepad. You can define the buttons for the gamepad when in the menu core.

attle
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby attle » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:34 am

witchmaster wrote:It can also be used from a connected gamepad. You can define the buttons for the gamepad when in the menu core.

Thanks!

funkybunch1984
Atarian
Atarian

Several smaller problems with MiSTer

Postby funkybunch1984 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:40 am

I've got several smaller problems with the MiSTer and cannot found a solution/tutorial to fix it. Eventually anybody could help.

1. is there a possibility to open the OSD automatically after selecting a core? For arcade cores it makes no sense but for multigame consoles and loading the rom-file.

2. is there a possibility to save games? every time i save the game on the regular way I can't find a save game file on the sd card. I have to open the menu and save the backup ram manually.

3. when i play super mario world 1 or 2 on the SNES, the scanlines looks a little bit wierd. But only with this two roms. The only way is to use the internal scanlines. External scanlines like the carmull-rom_scanlines or the normal_scanlines looks like a moiré effect.

4. how can i connect a bluetooth device!? :?

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:06 pm

funkybunch1984 wrote:1. is there a possibility to open the OSD automatically after selecting a core?

no
funkybunch1984 wrote:2. is there a possibility to save games? every time i save the game on the regular way I can't find a save game file on the sd card. I have to open the menu and save the backup ram manually.

you have to choose "Save Backup RAM" to save it to SD card (saves folder)

funkybunch1984 wrote:4. how can i connect a bluetooth device!?

you can't

gabeswarr
Atarian
Atarian

Postby gabeswarr » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:31 am

I'm so sorry for this is newbie question, but I am completely lost when it comes to setting up .vhd files on the SD card for the MSX core. Do you have to have the primary SD card partitioned? :(

theimporter
Atari User
Atari User

Need help changing IP address in my MiSTer

Postby theimporter » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:04 pm

Hi there,

I'm new in the MiSTer FPGA scene. I'm reading from this from the GitHub site and trying to change the IP address in order to transfer files via FTP: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... ork-access

Problems is that:
1-I'm using static IPs
2- I'm using 192.168.2.1 as a gateway instead of 192.168.0.1

According to the link I posted, I should be able to change the IP address using à la Linux, but the problem is, I can't find any sort of file browsing or terminal prompt when booting MiSTer. I tried putting my microSD card in my PC, but it would appear that the Linux OS is an image that boots up every time I boot up MiSTer (sort of like booting Linux from a bootable CD on a PC), the interface file is not accessible.

So what are my options here?

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: Need help changing IP address in my MiSTer

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:43 am

MiSTer depends on DHCP server. So you don't need to change anything on MiSTer. You need to setup your DHCP (usually router) to give other IP address to MiSTer.

theimporter
Atari User
Atari User

Postby theimporter » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:15 am

Sorgelig wrote:MiSTer depends on DHCP server. So you don't need to change anything on MiSTer. You need to setup your DHCP (usually router) to give other IP address to MiSTer.

Thank you for the reply, but have you read my topic?

Unless the page on GitHub is wrong, it is possible.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:22 am

Yes, I've read. How to connect to Linux console is written in Wiki. MiSTer is not configured for static IP, it gets IPs from DHCP. So you are pretty much on your own here.

Return to “MiSTer”