Show us your MiSTer hardware setup

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

MattE888
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Re: Show us your MiSTer hardware setup

Postby MattE888 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:32 pm

nathanhardie wrote:Okay Sorgelig. I did read the rules and didn't see anything about that. This is a little overwhelming with what I can and can't do. I just wanted to hangout with all you smart people. But anyways thanks for all the MiSTer work you do. It's fantastic!

You need to post a few times before being able to use the forums image upload. But I think you can get around that by uploading an image to a free image share website like https://imgbb.com/. I think you can use that website without creating an account. I'm not sure how long the image will last, but it's a good way to quickly share your image if you're in a rush to show us your cool stuff!

warham
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby warham » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:08 pm

MattE888
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby MattE888 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:15 pm

These all look really cool. I've not yet tried to build anything that looks good, but I did add a few things to my MiSTer setup. I added a powered USB hub, and new 5v - 5Amp power adapter to power both the Nano and USB hub, and a power switch. I also extended the HDMI, power, Ethernet out the back, and the USB and power switch is on the front. Hopefully I'll get some time soon to build a real case, but this functions just fine.

The reason I bought the bigger power supply is because I'll probably use this same setup with different single board computer eventually. I may want to run a couple external HD's for some future project.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:01 am

Since you are mounting stuff, you can add external buttons and LEDs. If I'm not mistaken they are direct pin connections to the DE10.

MattE888
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby MattE888 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:46 pm

Newsdee wrote:Since you are mounting stuff, you can add external buttons and LEDs. If I'm not mistaken they are direct pin connections to the DE10.

Good idea. I'll keep that in mind if I ever start using those DE10-nano buttons!

rockotiger
Atarian
Atarian

My MiSTer Build in a Case

Postby rockotiger » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:13 am

So I ordered a DE10 Nano board and one of Jim Drew's DE10 Super Expansion Boards: https://www.cbmstuff.com/proddetail.php?prod=DE-10-SEB

I added an RTG plug and a powered USB Hub. Then I bought a SERPAC A31,BK project case and fit everything inside:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmzur5Tv

After that I cut out a vinyl label for it using my Silhouette Cameo 3. It's not super pretty, especially inside the case, but it works great and I'm happy with it. I didn't like having the board without a case and didn't care much for the 3D printed options. It even has an opening on the side for microSD card access. Anyway, I just wanted to share in case someone was considering case options but didn't want to 3D print one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MattE888
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby MattE888 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:29 pm

rockotiger, that's awesome.

I've been working on something kind of similar. I chose wood. It's not done. I still have to change out the front black placeholder craft board with wood and sand the entire thing, and maybe stain it, but it's working great.

I also need to add a fan.

bitfan2011
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby bitfan2011 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:40 pm

I haven't built something custom like you talented people, but I put together this power trio using existing parts. Now that I have the 486 core sorted, I just need to solve MIDI output to the MT-32. So close...

IMG_2547.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: My MiSTer Build in a Case

Postby JimDrew » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:35 pm

rockotiger wrote:So I ordered a DE10 Nano board and one of Jim Drew's DE10 Super Expansion Boards: https://www.cbmstuff.com/proddetail.php?prod=DE-10-SEB

Thanks for sharing! You should probably pull jumper JP2 if you intend to use the external LEDs.
I am the flux ninja

Flausch
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Flausch » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:11 pm

Some simple case I built for a friend's MiSTer.

Just some acrylic, some plastic ledge (I don't know if this is the right word) and hot glue.

But it looks better in reality than in these pictures:

IMG_20190113_202837.jpg

IMG_20190113_202825.jpg

I will built something similar for my own MiSTer, but I am still waiting for my USB hub.

rockotiger
Atarian
Atarian

Re: My MiSTer Build in a Case

Postby rockotiger » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:25 am

MattE888 wrote:rockotiger, that's awesome.

Thanks, MattE888. I like your wood case, too.

JimDrew wrote:Thanks for sharing! You should probably pull jumper JP2 if you intend to use the external LEDs.

You're welcome. It's a great product! Just what I wanted -- every add-on built into one board! And thanks for the tip about the jumper.

MattE888
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby MattE888 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:01 pm

Flausch, I really like that. That is kind of what I was wanting to do, but I don't know enough about acrylic to try. Where did you find the plastic angle pieces and black acrylic? I basically want to copy your idea but make it larger and include all the things mine has in it. That would make mine way slimmer than it is. Wood is too bulky.

remowilliams
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby remowilliams » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:50 pm

Retro Center : )

bitfan2011

Postby bitfan2011 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:54 pm

remowilliams wrote:Retro Center : )

love it, the more chunky and sci-fi, the better

maybe wall mount the systems on a panel, that would be hottt

bitfan2011

Postby bitfan2011 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:56 pm

wtfff how do you delete a friggin post??

MOD PLAESE DELETE
Last edited by bitfan2011 on Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bitfan2011

Postby bitfan2011 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:56 pm

btw, "remo williams"?
really.

that movie is such an early memory in my childhood media consumption, but haven't watched for ages.

Hewhoisred
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Hewhoisred » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:22 pm

Go-go TI-994a stupidly huge peripheral expansion box. I love it. My family had one. Wish we would have kept that whole system. We had the cute little speech box too. I have to imagine they are stupidly rare these days.

Flausch
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Flausch » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:51 am

MattE888 wrote:Flausch, I really like that. That is kind of what I was wanting to do, but I don't know enough about acrylic to try. Where did you find the plastic angle pieces and black acrylic? I basically want to copy your idea but make it larger and include all the things mine has in it. That would make mine way slimmer than it is. Wood is too bulky.

I had no idea, when I started. I just went to Ebay and Amazon and searched for everything.
The acrylic pieces are 2 mm thin and from somewhere at Ebay (search for "Acrylic plate"). You have to cut it with a box cutter until it has a groove. Then you can break it. I used an electric screwdriver to drill the holes.

The angle pieces are for kitchen or furniture (I guess). The sell it at amazon.de for very cheap. (search for "GAH-Alberts 479008 and 479015)"
I used 10mm x 10mm angle inside to connect the the acrylic pieces with hot glue and 15mm x 15mm for the side cover.
You can buy these in a lot of variations and sizes.

MattE888
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby MattE888 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:53 pm

Flausch, thanks for all the info! I may use some of those things very soon.

witchmaster
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby witchmaster » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:33 pm

This is my build. Case is hand made from solid teak. Featuring an Amiga CDTV keyboard and two digital joystick ports etc.
The keyboard and joystick ports are connected through an Arduino Pro Micro using this code: https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topi ... msg3895501

bitfan2011

Postby bitfan2011 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:16 pm

witchmaster wrote:This is my build. Case is hand made from solid teak. Featuring an Amiga CDTV keyboard and two digital joystick ports etc.
The keyboard and joystick ports are connected through an Arduino Pro Micro using this code: https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topi ... msg3895501

it's so awesome, i must have it

Lodovic
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Lodovic » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:09 am

witchmaster wrote:This is my build. Case is hand made from solid teak. Featuring an Amiga CDTV keyboard and two digital joystick ports etc.

The black keyboard and the wood go wonderfully together. Awesome work!

laserdisc
Atari User
Atari User

Postby laserdisc » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:50 am

There's sexy and then there's EROTIC. :lol: Great job on this setup, it looks bloody fantastic!

witchmaster
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby witchmaster » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:45 am

bitfan2011 wrote:it's so awesome, i must have it

Lodovic wrote:The black keyboard and the wood go wonderfully together. Awesome work!

laserdisc wrote:There's sexy and then there's EROTIC. :lol: Great job on this setup, it looks bloody fantastic!

Cheers! It required more work than I expected, but I'm happy with the result. :)

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:13 pm

Looks fantastic!
2 rocket launch buttons gives additional charm :)

Return to “MiSTer”