Show us your MiSTer hardware setup

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

MattE888
Atariator
Atariator

Show us your MiSTer hardware setup

Postby MattE888 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:12 pm

Show us your MiSTer hardware setup! For my first setup, I decided to not spend any money and just use things I have lying around. It's a chop board, USB hub, and hot glue! The USB hub can be powered if I plug the power cord in. Hopefully I'm not the only person who has a weird cheap setup. :D

EDIT: I should probably say I don't have a heatsink or fan yet, but I'm only playing a few minutes of Genesis at a time until I do get those things.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Show us your MiSTer hardware setup

Postby Newsdee » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:14 pm

Here's my MiSTer inside its 3D printed case. The side panels are black:
Screenshot_20181110-021242_Instagram.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:49 pm

Here is a pic of my setup incl. midi gear :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

thgill
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby thgill » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:09 pm

Here is mine.

I cut out a base plate from some scrap plastic and mounted the OTG hub underneath the DE10-nano. Had to use some longer standoffs under the nano to clear the hub.

Not pictured: Mayflash Sega Saturn adapter and Saturn gamepad. Also have a small wireless Logitech keyboard I use with it.

Like retro computers, game consoles and other obsolete junk? Check out Todd's Nerd Cave on YouTube

Indcsion
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Indcsion » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:41 am

Still waiting on a usb hub.

AndrewSisk
Atarian
Atarian

Postby AndrewSisk » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:56 pm

In aluminum box

MattE888
Atariator
Atariator

Postby MattE888 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:39 pm

These are all really cool! I can't wait to make mine better. I'm getting some good ideas here!

AndrewSisk, the next time you open that case, can you show us what that looks like inside? I like how you have a SNES controller port on there. Is that a USB to SNES adapter or did you wire the SNES port up to the pins on the de-10 nano somehow? Very coooool!!!

nightshadowpt

Postby nightshadowpt » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:20 pm

AndrewSisk wrote:In aluminum box

How did you cut the wholes on the box? they look great!

I have bought an aluminum box myself, but I'm still trying to figure out how to cut it.

Cheers,

MattE888
Atariator
Atariator

Postby MattE888 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:35 pm

nightshadowpt wrote:
AndrewSisk wrote:In aluminum box

How did you cut the wholes on the box? they look great!

I have bought an aluminum box myself, but I'm still trying to figure out how to cut it.

Cheers,

I'm interested in knowing that too. I was thinking about using a Dremel. Not sure how hard that will be though.

AndrewSisk
Atarian
Atarian

Postby AndrewSisk » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:32 pm

Thanks. Yes I used a Dremel and a set of small diamond files. Use a small drill bit 1st then file square. use the cut off wheel for big stuff. Just go slow. The snes port is a usb controller kit from retro usb wired to a plug. Will add inside picture when i get chance.

MattE888
Atariator
Atariator

Postby MattE888 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:15 pm

AndrewSisk wrote:Thanks. Yes I used a Dremel and a set of small diamond files. Use a small drill bit 1st then file square. use the cut off wheel for big stuff. Just go slow. The snes port is a usb controller kit from retro usb wired to a plug. Will add inside picture when i get chance.

Thanks for the info!

nightshadowpt

Postby nightshadowpt » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:25 am

AndrewSisk wrote:Thanks. Yes I used a Dremel and a set of small diamond files. Use a small drill bit 1st then file square. use the cut off wheel for big stuff. Just go slow. The snes port is a usb controller kit from retro usb wired to a plug. Will add inside picture when i get chance.

Thanks for clarifying that.

What was the grit of the files you used? 150?

cheers,

jayp76
Atarian
Atarian

Postby jayp76 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:56 pm

Here is my setup.
While i have no 3D Printer or proper tools and skills for building a case from scratch, i decided to look for alternatives.
Outta pure luck i found this empty box for the Galaxy SII, and the dimensions somewhat fit.
I cut the appropriate holes with an exacto knife, and voila here is my ghetto case for the MiSTer.
I am using the USB HUB Board with a Y-splitter cable. For now i did not experience any thermal issues.
Not shown in the picture, i also use a small Wifi dongle with a Realtek RTL871x chipset.

IMG_20181116_211444b.jpg

implodetee
Atarian
Atarian

Postby implodetee » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:11 am

I decided to make my own SDRAM board (I've made two so far) and print the "MiSTer DE10 Nano Plates" by hugocraft on thingiverse. For the fan, I'm using a Noctua NF-A4X10-FLX 5V.

I'm really happy with this setup!

IMG_0674.JPG

BlockABoots
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby BlockABoots » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:53 pm

Just made a simple fan mount board which houses a 50cm Fan, as i wont be using the I/O any time soon ill able to get a larger fan so get a bit of extra cooling.

Wonder if the person who make the 3d printed file available could make one to house a 50mm fan rather than the standard 40mm....

gojira54
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby gojira54 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:52 pm

I'm liking the PCE core =]

Recommend getting a >2A PSU and then cheap 'cctv splitter' & inline power switch from fleabay

Return to “MiSTer”