MiSTer NES Core

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

MrRobot
Atarian
Atarian

Re: MiSTer NES Core

Postby MrRobot » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:22 am

berighteous wrote:I just downloaded the core and tried with a bunch of .NES roms that work in all my other emulators and I'm getting nothing. black or colorsed screen. Am I missing a bios file or something?

I had a similar issue, I have the RAM expansion installed and it tested sucessfully at 150Mhz for over an hour. What ended up fixing the problem was going into the memtest core hitting "A" and after letting it test for a minute or two hit "F12" and selected "Save Settings" then selecting a NES or SNES core and loading a ROM worked.

for reference I was using the following:

memtest_20180313.rbf
menu_20180902.rbf
MiSTer_20181213
NES_20181207.rbf
SNES_20181213.rbf

jft
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby jft » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:57 am

Harrumph wrote:This is normal and true to original NES behaviour, due to sync jitter inherent to the signal.

Very interesting. Never noticed this on my real NES/Famicom hardware. I'll have to take another look. Thanks!

BahnYuki
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby BahnYuki » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:18 am

Hey guys just wanted to bring up when using YPbPr the NES video is too far to the right on my screen which causes cut off. I had this issue with SNES but it was fixed in the latest release(20181223). I noticed in the SNES changelog that the Hsync width was changed. perhaps this can be migrated over to NES?

paulbnl
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby paulbnl » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:26 am

Yes in the SNES core Hsync was too short but in the NES core it is too long. It should be 25 cycles but it is 41 cycles. Also Vsync is too long at 9 lines vs 3 lines for real NES.

https://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/NTSC_video

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:13 am

i will correct it in next release

telengard
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby telengard » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:38 pm

jft wrote:On the topic of analog video issues...
The top part of my screen has a slight "wiggle" to it (to use a technical term ;) ) for the NES core. Not sure if this is something other are seeing as well. Using YPbPr and at least two of my IO boards show the same. Not noticed on other cores.

I was seeing this as well on my YPbPr connection. The hsync/vsync changes checked in a little while ago cleaned things up very nicely!

SaschaFFM
Atari User
Atari User

Postby SaschaFFM » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:37 pm

The distortions on the very top of the NES-screen via VGA 15khz are gone in the latest release. Thank you very much - great to see how MiSTer gets better every (!) day.

BahnYuki
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby BahnYuki » Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:37 pm

Updated NES core fixed issues I had with YPbPr out. The rolling at the top is gone and the alignment is much closer to the center. Overall this core looks pretty incredible in YPbPr. What palette is everyone using? My personal fave is Wavebeam, but I'm using Classic since I guess that's Nintendo's "official" color palette.

kitrinx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kitrinx » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:19 pm

BahnYuki wrote:What palette is everyone using? My personal fave is Wavebeam, but I'm using Classic since I guess that's Nintendo's "official" color palette.

I prefer Smooth, which is what FirebrandX considers his most accurate to the original. NES Classic is good, but i'm a bit turned off by the fact that some colors were intentionally altered to lower the risk of epilepsy. It's great from a safety perspective, but less appealing from an accuracy/nostalgia perspective.

robfish
Atariator
Atariator

Postby robfish » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:44 pm

Was trying to play the NES Tetris 2 player hack and I could not get it past a black screen. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

hyperterminal
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby hyperterminal » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:07 am

robfish wrote:Was trying to play the NES Tetris 2 player hack and I could not get it past a black screen. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

You need to check the iNES header of the rom. Open the game in a hex editor and replace the first line with this:

Code: Select all

4E 45 53 1A 04 02 63 70 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

jft
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby jft » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:56 am

telengard wrote:
jft wrote:On the topic of analog video issues...
The top part of my screen has a slight "wiggle" to it (to use a technical term ;) ) for the NES core. Not sure if this is something other are seeing as well. Using YPbPr and at least two of my IO boards show the same. Not noticed on other cores.

I was seeing this as well on my YPbPr connection. The hsync/vsync changes checked in a little while ago cleaned things up very nicely!

Recent release correct my issue here as well!

robfish
Atariator
Atariator

Postby robfish » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:00 am

hyperterminal wrote:
robfish wrote:Was trying to play the NES Tetris 2 player hack and I could not get it past a black screen. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

You need to check the iNES header of the rom. Open the game in a hex editor and replace the first line with this:

4E 45 53 1A 04 02 63 70 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Thank You.

ghogan42
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby ghogan42 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:01 pm

Sorgeilig recently added an option called `vscale_mode` that allows you to fix the hdmi scaling to certain values. Setting it to integer scaling only (vscale_mode=1) or to half integer scaling (vscale_mode=2) can make scanline effects look much more even.

However, there is a small problem using `vscale_mode=2` with the nes core at 1080p with the option `Hide Overscan` enabled. With`Hide Overscan` there seems to be some small mistake in the output size (probably output is just one line too small) that causes problems with scanline effects.

If you want to see the problem just use

NES_20181224
video_mode=8
vscale_mode=2
Hide Overscan
Dark scanline effect like normal_scanlines_100

I guess it's not the NES cores fault but I figured I would give a head's up in here that the issue exists.

It is possible to work around the issue in the NES core by cutting off an extra line for overscan. Probably you could take away one less line and get equivalent results because the issue is probably an even/odd thing.

Just to test the theory I modified video.sv around line 181 from:

if(hide_overscan) begin
         HBlank <= (hc > (256-8)) || (hc<10);
         VBlank <= (vc > (240-10)) || (vc<6);
      end else begin

to

if(hide_overscan) begin
         HBlank <= (hc > (256-8)) || (hc<10);
         VBlank <= (vc > (240-10)) || (vc<7);
      end else begin

And then scanline effects work perfectly again with "HIde Overscan". I put that test build here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1O-t0z ... vlkoPiwqzH

Again, I'm not saying that the NES core is working incorrectly regarding overscan, just noting the way the NES output gets scaled currently.

The right way to fix this is probably a small fix in mister main.
EDIT: And not by modifying the NES core overscan setting.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:36 am

I didn't get it. What are you doing? Do you want to adjust the scaling to some specific ratio?
You can use vscale_border to reduce maximum vertical size.

It's not wize to start to modify every core just to make some filter look better on specific resolution.

Jeebs
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Jeebs » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:48 am

I know the unleased/prototype of SimCity just got leaked for the NES but is there any chance it will run on the Mister at some point down the road?

ghogan42
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby ghogan42 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:07 am

Sorgelig wrote:I didn't get it. What are you doing? Do you want to adjust the scaling to some specific ratio?
You can use vscale_border to reduce maximum vertical size.

It's not wize to start to modify every core just to make some filter look better on specific resolution.

No! I don't want to modify the NES core. I shouldn't have posted anything. I was just trying to figure out why the scaling was bad with this one core + hide_overscan option.

Right now the NES core outputs 239x225 with hide_overscan=1. That doesn't scale as well as 239x224 does. But if 225 lines is how it should be then I have no complaint. It's just a problem with the odd number of scanlines and 0.5x scaling. Not the core's fault or the scaler.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:22 am

Hide overscan is not what real HW has. It's just emulating what CRT TV supposed to show. So there is no standard resolution for this mode.
Scaler is supposed to scale any resolution to any output resolution. I also don't know what's the problem. Actually i cannot clearly see what the issue is. My small monitor is 1280x800 and big one is 1920x1200. I have no true 1920x1080 monitor.
I can change to 224 lines, but i'm not going to tweak every core for this.
Ascal need to be improved as VIP doesn't have such issues with ANY scaling factor. Otherwize LCD and Scanlines are doomed to look like Burberry mattress.

JamesF
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby JamesF » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:36 am

Sorry if this has been reported;
Using the latest 20181224 NES core, I can see the image shifted one pixel to the left and garbage pixel column on the most right hand of the screen.
This can be easily tested with NES 240p suite from HERE.
This single pixel column on the right is not related to shaders, but probably NES 256x240 timing.

20181228_103433.jpg

20181228_103403.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:57 am

I see. I've mostly used HQ2x mode which has no this issue.

JamesF
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby JamesF » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:02 am

Indeed HQ2x is aligned correctly, but 99% of people probably want the native resolution (None).
Thanks for checking this Sorgelig.

JamesF
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby JamesF » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:16 pm

Sorry for the Double post.

Sorgelig will it be possible to add Turbo-A and Turbo-B for Define Joystick Buttons for the NES core?
If possible the speed of these buttons should comply with "Auto fire period".
Also, I've posted on the Main Core thread, that 100mS is quite slow, at least in comparison to the NES gamepad turbo speed I had in my childhood.

Pardon for the inflood of requests, as I see it MiSTer is destined for perfection and nothing less. :)

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:26 pm

Autofire is supported already for every core.
100ms currently is fastest supported rate. Many games cannot even support this rate.
I've played many shmup games (on PCE core) and didn't find it too slow actually.
I will consider about other rates at some point.

jdubs
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby jdubs » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:50 pm

In castlevania iii, I get garbled graphics at the very beginning when I get any weapon upgrades or walk through doorways. I’ll load the game again, and these graphical issues go away. This is the only game that be experienced this issue with.

-Jim

ghogan42
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby ghogan42 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:58 pm

jdubs wrote:In castlevania iii, I get garbled graphics at the very beginning when I get any weapon upgrades or walk through doorways. I’ll load the game again, and these graphical issues go away. This is the only game that be experienced this issue with.

-Jim

I have the same/related issue. Some games work/don't work depending on what rom is loaded before the game.

For example, Load "Super Mario Bros". Then load "Akumajou Densetsu". I get a solid blue screen. Load "Akumajou Densetsu" again. It works fine.

Load "Akumajou Dracula". Then load "Akumajou Densetsu". I get garbled graphics. Load "Akumajou Densetsu" again. I get the same garbled graphics.

So "Akumajou Densetsu" runs after some games but not others.

Return to “MiSTer”