MiSTer NES Core

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

widge
Atari User
Atari User

Re: MiSTer NES Core

Postby widge » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:25 pm

jft wrote:Wow, I didn't even notice that option. I tried it and that was exactly the problem. It was that simple haha.
Thanks!

I was wondering the same thing and noticed this option in the menu :)

GreyRogue
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby GreyRogue » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:35 pm

kikusui wrote:@GreyRogue - while trying various things out I've come across two games that I can't make work, namely Lagrange Point & Tiny Toon Adventures 2 (both Japanese). Both of these games make use of Konami's VCR7 sound expansion. Is this implemented in the Nes core?

Grabbed the YM2413 module out of the MSX core and pasted it in. Updated the instruments to match the values listed on NesDev. Expansion (Cart) VRC7 audio is now working correctly. Tested with Lagrange Point and a VRC7 audio test Rom.

I've also swapped the settings on the joysticks. Default behavior should be contoller 1. This should help avoid confusion going forward.

Pull request created.

jft
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby jft » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:38 pm

whiskeyrunnerone wrote:I cannot get the roms to play in the NES core.

Do you have the SDRAM board? The NES core requires it. (Cores like Genesis and PC engine do not.)

GreyRogue wrote:I've also swapped the settings on the joysticks. Default behavior should be contoller 1.

Thanks! For days I was troubleshooting that as an issue with my controllers :)

kikusui
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby kikusui » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:11 am

GreyRogue wrote:
kikusui wrote:@GreyRogue - while trying various things out I've come across two games that I can't make work, namely Lagrange Point & Tiny Toon Adventures 2 (both Japanese). Both of these games make use of Konami's VCR7 sound expansion. Is this implemented in the Nes core?

Grabbed the YM2413 module out of the MSX core and pasted it in. Updated the instruments to match the values listed on NesDev. Expansion (Cart) VRC7 audio is now working correctly. Tested with Lagrange Point and a VRC7 audio test Rom.

I've also swapped the settings on the joysticks. Default behavior should be contoller 1. This should help avoid confusion going forward.

Pull request created.

Thank you GreyRouge for putting the VRC7 into the Nes core. I've just listened to a short audio clip that someone posted on Discord, seriously impressive. Looking forward to the official update. I'm in your debt GreyRogue.

GreyRogue

Postby GreyRogue » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:18 am

Found the issue with Just Breed background graphics (MMC5). External RAM Attribute was broken. Fixed in my latest.

barbaro00
Atariator
Atariator

Postby barbaro00 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:31 am

Hello!! Great job with vrc7!!
Vrc4 gradius ii and crisys force os possible?

cacophony

Postby cacophony » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:50 am

Played newest NES core a bit and noticed that music sounds wrong in Ghosts N' Goblins

GreyRogue

Postby GreyRogue » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:29 am

barbaro00 wrote:Hello!! Great job with vrc7!!
Vrc4 gradius ii and crisys force os possible?

VRC 2,3, and 4 are all possible. Someone else told me they were working on them, so I've been specifically avoiding them for now.

Sbeehive
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Sbeehive » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:01 pm

Has anyone been able to get Lizard http://lizardnes.com/ working on MISTer?

The guy who made it talks about it working with Loopy's PowerMappers. I think he said it was Mapper 34 (Of course I can't find that link).

To anyone who hasn't played it, it is a wonderful game.

SaschaFFM
Atari User
Atari User

Postby SaschaFFM » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:29 am

Got my Mister attached to a Sony PVM via VGA > BNC cable. Works superb for all cores supporting 15khz. Runs flawless with 50 and 60hz games (Amiga, SNES, SMS, Genesis, C64 etc.).

I do have issues with the NES core, though. The image displays, but there are red/violet stripes to the right. Guess it can be best seen on the picture:

IMG_0162.jpg

This is for all games I have tested and even for the menu after starting the core. Tested with all NES-Releases from the past, image was always the same. Not sure whether it is the TV or the core. As stated above all other cores work fine on their resolutions so far. Anybody with a PVM (mine is 20F1) tested this?

If output is attached to HDMI or via VGA/Scandoubler to LCD picture is fine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:05 am

Something wrong with voltage/current agreement between MiSTer output and your TV input.

kitrinx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kitrinx » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:50 pm

On discord, several people have mentioned that the NES core in particular gives them problems with analog video (mostly component), while other cores work. This has been the case for a while, so it's probably not a new issue. I haven't been able to spot anything obviously wrong though.

jft
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby jft » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:56 pm

On the topic of analog video issues...
The top part of my screen has a slight "wiggle" to it (to use a technical term ;) ) for the NES core. Not sure if this is something other are seeing as well. Using YPbPr and at least two of my IO boards show the same. Not noticed on other cores.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SaschaFFM
Atari User
Atari User

Postby SaschaFFM » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:29 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Something wrong with voltage/current agreement between MiSTer output and your TV input.

Thank you for your input, Sir! Not sure what to make out of it, though :D I will try to test with different cables and/or introduce RGB-Scart-Switches as soon as I can get hold of them. Friend of mine will test as well with his MiSTer and his PVM. Anything else I could do?

In the meantime any experience with NES-Core and Sony PVM/BVM is very welcome.

SaschaFFM
Atari User
Atari User

Postby SaschaFFM » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:08 am

Just as an information: Friend of mine now tested with his Sony PVM 20F1 and his MiSTer. He got exactly the same result, so the issue does not seem to be exclusive to my specific hardware (defect). Would be great if someone with the knowledge could take a look at the VGA output. Guess it is not an easy task and VGA is not highest priority, but would be highly appreciated by the CRT-Community :)

SegaMan
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby SegaMan » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:21 am

NES core is the only core that did not work with my consumer sony trinitron crt.

PhantombrainM
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby PhantombrainM » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:40 pm

I read something about the voltages a while ago and read this in another Forum:

"they do call it "TTL" sync on VGA, though, since it's mainly about the voltage level.
The IO Board will be outputting 3.3 Volt "TTL" for sync on VGA port pins 13 and 14.
It does have a resistor in series, IIRC, but it's still recommended to add an extra resistor of say 680 Ohms in series from pin 13 to Csync on your monitor / TV.
(so a 680R resistor between VGA pin 13 to pin 20 on the RGB SCART plug or whatever. I believe you'd also need to enable Csync mode in your Mister INI file.)"

I'm using a UMSA Scart Adapter from the beginning on (It also works for Rasperry Pi for 240P with HDMI->VGA Adapter -> UMSA and custom configs) which was also mentioned in the other forum and is considered save for the voltages and I can confirm I have no problems with my Sony PVM. I never used VGA -> BNC directly because I don't have such a cable. As far as I know there is some other member here who uses this cable and he never reported any problems.

kind regards,
PhantombrainM

P.S.: http://arcadeforge.net/UMSA/UMSA-Ultima ... r::57.html
It's in Germany. Maybe there are other solutions but I can't tell...
Two beer or not two beer? - Shakesbeer.

SaschaFFM
Atari User
Atari User

Postby SaschaFFM » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:49 pm

I ordered that adapter a couple of days ago. Arrived just today :-) Still waiting for my Scart > BNC Adapter though. Hope it arrives soon.

jft
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby jft » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:44 pm

PhantombrainM wrote:The IO Board will be outputting 3.3 Volt "TTL" for sync on VGA port pins 13 and 14.
It does have a resistor in series, IIRC, but it's still recommended to add an extra resistor of say 680 Ohms in series from pin 13 to Csync on your monitor / TV.
(so a 680R resistor between VGA pin 13 to pin 20 on the RGB SCART plug or whatever. I believe you'd also need to enable Csync mode in your Mister INI file.)"

This made me curious about my setup (which is using Component = YPbPr with Sync on Green enabled) and the SOG circuitry actually includes a 680ohm resistor (along with an NPN transistor and a 100uf Cap).

So using anything with SOG (YPbPr or RGsB) it is definitely not TTL voltage.
Anything else (H/V Sync or Csync for RGB signals) will be (Edit:) whatever the pins output through the 100 ohm resistor between the pin and connector. According to Sorgelig in a later post, this is also not TTL, and I haven't put it on a scope myself.
(Someone feel free to correct me if I am not interpreting the schematics correctly)

Not sure if SaschaFFM's set is also capable of YPbPr, but it may be worth a try if it is.
Last edited by jft on Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:14 pm

jft wrote:So using anything with SOG (YPbPr or RGsB) it is not TTL voltage.

VGA outputs analog video. It has nothing to do with TTL.
VGA video under load is below 1v on R,G,B. Similar on HSync/VSync.

CGA was using TTL as it was digital output. MiSTer doesn't provide CGA output.

Harrumph
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Harrumph » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:32 am

jft wrote:On the topic of analog video issues...
The top part of my screen has a slight "wiggle" to it (to use a technical term ;) ) for the NES core. Not sure if this is something other are seeing as well. Using YPbPr and at least two of my IO boards show the same. Not noticed on other cores.

This is normal and true to original NES behaviour, due to sync jitter inherent to the signal.

uigiflip
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby uigiflip » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:49 pm

is it me? but noticed famicom disk system does not set disk with start button anymore with december 6th and 7th december cores

alexey found disable joystick swap worked to set disk with start
Replay 2, Mister, FPGA Replay + 68060 Daughterboard

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:43 pm

uigiflip wrote:alexey found disable joystick swap worked to set disk with start

it's not new. FDS BIOS reacts only on first joystick.

Famicom was shipped with 2 gamepads hardwired to system (unlike export versions). So both pads were always available on japanese NES. So, games didn't care much which pad to use.

breiztiger
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby breiztiger » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:09 pm

sorry but just a newby question

why does nes core need to have header in rom to play nes cart ?

the real hardware does have this kind of infos somewhere in hardware on cart ?

just to know :cheers:

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:14 pm

Real NES hardware doesn't care about ROM structure. Cart is black box with standard connector.
MiSTer emulates not only NES, but carts as well. So, MiSTer needs header to understand how to use the ROM.

Return to “MiSTer”