MiSTer NES Core

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: MiSTer NES Core

Postby djmartins » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:57 am

jca wrote:Something must be corrupted somewhere but what?

Jean-Claude

Can you run the update script using the network connection on MiSTer?
If that doesn't help hook up to the console on MiSTer and see what the error messages are....

jca
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby jca » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:41 pm

Thanks for the tips djmartins but I already "fixed" the problem before seeing your post.
I came to the conclusion that nothing was corrupted on the "MISTer side" but more likely on the Linux side and due to some new functionality on the new NES core. I do not think the update script would have fixed it. I also thought about the debug console which may or may not have pointed to the problem. But if one thing is corrupted what else could also be corrupted and show up later on.
So I decided to play it safe:
Reformat the SD card with overwrite to be sure the SD card is not a problem.
Use the installer to create a new SD card.
Update everything and install cores, BIOSes and games.
Now the latest NES core is working.

djsquare
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby djsquare » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:07 pm

Have you guys tried the TAS nes core? It's pretty neat to see tool assisted speed runs on the nes. I doubt it'll make the official nes core but it's still pretty cool. I'd like to encourage anyone curious about it to check it out

NES_TAS.rbf
https://mega.nz/#!loIBBCRa!lEoFVk7-TtCK ... 1toVinem_A

NESBot_movies.7z
https://mega.nz/#!QoB1iATI!VXB_tPJfUgnq ... RxSIViDlJg

djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby djmartins » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:07 am

jca wrote:Now the latest NES core is working.

That's what I like to hear no matter how you got there!
:cheers:

peepsalot
Atari User
Atari User

Postby peepsalot » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:16 pm

Edit: Woops, I just noticed the reply in IO board thread, apologies for my impatience/crossposting.

Hello, I'm interested in connecting an original NES controller directly through "User Port" of the DE10-nano with my own DIY circuit. I asked similar question in the IO board thread but maybe this is the better place to ask since I guess its somewhat core-specific.

I don't actually have an IO board + SNAC + HDMI or USB3 adapter cable, so I'm having a hard time understanding the exact pin mappings for controller IO. I know the pinouts in terms of NES port side, and I know I will require level shifters for 3.3V <-> 5V signals but besides that I mainly still don't know exactly which pins on DE10 board map to those controller pins. Some more detailed documentation about these exact interfaces would be very much appreciated.

Lastly I think I read or heard mentioned in some video that the IO board requires some modifications for this, but maybe that's outdated info? Is that still relevant if I base my interface on the latest (6.0 i think?) IO schematic? I don't need the other IO board features at the moment, so would just like to replicate a minimal user port functionality for this. Thanks for any advice.

Peredonov
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Peredonov » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:36 pm

I've encountered a quirk in the NES core's audio using direct video mode. It's probably dependent on my setup and hard to reproduce, but I thought I should point it out since it only happens with the NES core, and knowing about it may be useful to increase compatibility with more AV gear.

My chain is MiSTer -> HDMI switch with dual output and audio extraction
-> audio extracted via TOSlink -> Stereo receiver and speakers
-> video to flat panel for MiSTer's scaled output
-> video to CRT (HDMI-VGA) for MiSTer's direct video mode output

In scaled mode, the NES core has no problems, but when using direct video mode there is no audio from the NES core out of my HDMI switch's extracted audio (more accurately, there is intermittently a fraction second of audio every few seconds). Audio is going through the HDMI signals as I can get audio from the HDMI-VGA adapter. There is just something about the audio that the HDMI audio extractor fails to work with, using both its analog or digital outs. Again, this does not happen with any other core in direct mode so far, only the NES core.

8bitsouls
Atarian
Atarian

Postby 8bitsouls » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:14 pm

Hi,

I just discovered that one of my favourite game do not work. Any of you can make Startropic NES game working while entered your name? Every time I entered my player name I cannot continue. Look like the game can't save or remember the player name.

Cheers

paulbnl
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby paulbnl » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:55 am

8bitsouls wrote:Hi,

I just discovered that one of my favourite game do not work. Any of you can make Startropic NES game working while entered your name? Every time I entered my player name I cannot continue. Look like the game can't save or remember the player name.

Cheers

You need to change the header to NES 2.0 mapper 4 submapper 1. https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/NES_MiSTer/issues/33

You can do this easily with Mesen.

8bitsouls
Atarian
Atarian

Postby 8bitsouls » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:16 pm

paulbnl wrote:
8bitsouls wrote:Hi,

Cheers

You need to change the header to NES 2.0 mapper 4 submapper 1. https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/NES_MiSTer/issues/33

You can do this easily with Mesen.

Thanks, it work except now the music speed is x2 time faster.

paulbnl

Postby paulbnl » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:42 am

8bitsouls wrote:Thanks, it work except now the music speed is x2 time faster.

If the music is too fast then you must be running the PAL version in NTSC mode.

peepsalot
Atari User
Atari User

Postby peepsalot » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:29 am

Question about the Audio Enable options. does the "Both" choice intentionally cut the volume (in half I presume?) to avoid clipping after mixing?
Is there any way it could auto-detect if the ROM uses cart expansion audio and only attenuate+mix if it both that + internal can be used?

I don't really know which exact games used cart expansion, but just wanted to make sure I'm getting all the sounds :)

Also is there any way to avoid the loud pop when switching between any of these options? I'm using hdmi audio.

Meista80
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Meista80 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:55 pm

The latest release (NES_20200212) seems to have broken the core for me (Mister via HDMI with 32MB).
The release before that runs fine.

SMB1:

FDS boot screen (you can't get past this to start the game itself):

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:53 pm

ok. i can replicate the issue.
Will check.

Peredonov
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Peredonov » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:12 pm

It seems like the glitches happen mostly when the game has just booted. For example Super Mario Bros shows that glitched graphic when booting, but the rest of the game seems to play fine. SMB3 shows some graphic glitches on the world map the first time it appears. Some expanded audio games like Gimmick and Akumajou Densetsu sound wrong during the first music notes on boot or reset.

This update did fix the audio issue I reported earlier using direct video. Maybe the updated framework fixed it.

Meista80
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Meista80 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:27 pm

Fixed :cheers:
That was quick, thx.

Peredonov
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Peredonov » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:03 am

Fast and perfect fix indeed!

The audio issue I noticed is still probably exclusive to my audio setup + this core's direct video output. There's a slight audio glitch noticeable on ROM start with games where sound plays right away. It still only occurs when I'm extracting digital audio with direct mode enabled. People using capture cards may also notice it. It's not a big deal though and as I said earlier there are easy workarounds.

PikWik
Atariator
Atariator

Postby PikWik » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:25 am

djsquare wrote:
GreyRogue wrote:Both Battle Kid and Battle Kid 2 work fine for me with the copies I dumped from my carts. The current mapper 30 code assumes 4-screen-vertical means 4 screen mirroring, and 4-screen-horizontal means 1 screen (which agrees with Black Box Challenge). If you did the opposite when you dumped your cart, you can try the invert mirroring setting from the OSD. This would be the same issue Twin Dragons has. They're currently trying to figure out the official way to specify mirroring on the nesdev forums. I will match whatever the final decision is then.

Alright cool. I'm not an expert, I just like to tinker with things. The funny thing is my Battle Kid 2 dump works on everything else. Did you use the NT Mini to dump yours? I couldn't get the NT Mini to dump the ROM right so like I said I just used my old school USB Copy NES. I think I'll try to dump BK 2 again under the same circumstance I did with the new BK, maybe I just messed up somewhere. Thanks for letting me know

Edit: Just to be 100% clear on this matter. I'm talking about the brand new Japanese localized Famicom version 2.0 of Battle Kid, not the one sold at retrousb. It does not work on N8 Everdrive v16 or the NT Mini but works with on MiSTer NES core :P . Upon further investigation they aren't the same...probably similar like you said but different...something is up but I don't know. Here is my comparisons of the 3 games I've dumped:

Battle Kid - Fortress of Peril (Sivak Games 2010).nes
ROM Analysis:
NES Mapper: 2 - ROM (PRG) Switch / U(x)ROM
Mirroring: Horizontal Mirroring
Program Size (PRG): 256kb (16 x 16kb pages)
Character Size (CHR): 0kb (0 x 8kb pages )
Works on eveything!

Battle Kid 2 - Mountain of Torment (Sivak Games 2012).nes
ROM Analysis:
NES Mapper: 2 - ROM (PRG) Switch / U(x)ROM
Program Size (PRG): 512kb (32 x 16kb pages)
Works on: N8v16 Everdrive, NT Mini, PowerPak
Doesn't work: MiSTer NES Core

Battle Kid - Dangerous Trap (Sivak Games) (Famicom version 2018).nes
ROM Analysis:
NES Mapper: 30 - Unknown
Program Size (PRG): 512kb (32 x 16kb pages)
Works on: MiSTER NES core :lol:
Doesn't work: N8v16 Everdrive, NT Mini, PowerPak

im also having the same issue with battle kid 2. game wont load with mister NES core :?

is this being worked on, or is there a known fix to get battle kid 2 to work on the mister NES core?

***EDIT*** apparently there is a need for an Oversize (512KB) Mapper 2 to get battle kid 2 to work properly

Neuro
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Neuro » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:12 am

peepsalot wrote:Edit: Woops, I just noticed the reply in IO board thread, apologies for my impatience/crossposting.

Hello, I'm interested in connecting an original NES controller directly through "User Port" of the DE10-nano with my own DIY circuit. I asked similar question in the IO board thread but maybe this is the better place to ask since I guess its somewhat core-specific.

I don't actually have an IO board + SNAC + HDMI or USB3 adapter cable, so I'm having a hard time understanding the exact pin mappings for controller IO. I know the pinouts in terms of NES port side, and I know I will require level shifters for 3.3V <-> 5V signals but besides that I mainly still don't know exactly which pins on DE10 board map to those controller pins. Some more detailed documentation about these exact interfaces would be very much appreciated.

Lastly I think I read or heard mentioned in some video that the IO board requires some modifications for this, but maybe that's outdated info? Is that still relevant if I base my interface on the latest (6.0 i think?) IO schematic? I don't need the other IO board features at the moment, so would just like to replicate a minimal user port functionality for this. Thanks for any advice.

For one nes/snes pad or zapper you must wire this way:
Fpga_PIN user_io USB SNES_PAD
AH9. 1. D-. Data clock
AG11. 0. D+. Data latch
AF15. 5. RX-. Serial Data
AH12. 2. TX-. Data2
AG16. 4. RX+. IOB

With that you can connect your nes/snes pad/zapper to the mister.
If yiu wanna conmect 2 pads, i have a fork in:
https://github.com/neurorulez/NES_MiSTe ... 2B?files=1

And you must use the same pin for data latch like in pad 1 for the pad 2 and 2 extra pins.
Fpga_PIN user_io SNES_PAD
AF17 6. Data clock
AH11. 3. Serial Data

I was playing the nes/snes core with the original controls and is a great sensation.
Hope it helps you.

paulbnl

Postby paulbnl » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:54 am

PikWik wrote:
im also having the same issue with battle kid 2. game wont load with mister NES core :?

is this being worked on, or is there a known fix to get battle kid 2 to work on the mister NES core?

***EDIT*** apparently there is a need for an Oversize (512KB) Mapper 2 to get battle kid 2 to work properly

The NES core does not support mapper 2 with PRG bigger than 256KB. The game was originally released on mapper 30 hardware so just change the header to mapper 30 and it will work. You can do this easily with Mesen.

PikWik
Atariator
Atariator

Postby PikWik » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:32 pm

paulbnl wrote:
PikWik wrote:

The NES core does not support mapper 2 with PRG bigger than 256KB. The game was originally released on mapper 30 hardware so just change the header to mapper 30 and it will work. You can do this easily with Mesen.

ahh wonderful, yes that did work ! :cheers:

opened the ROM in MESEN > debug menu > iNES header > changed mapper from 2 to 30 (and then saved as new ROM file)

sofakng
Atariator
Atariator

Postby sofakng » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:51 pm

Any chance of save states being added to this core or hardware created to allow real cartridges to be used?

BitsNStuff

Postby BitsNStuff » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:15 pm

sofakng wrote:Any chance of save states being added to this core or hardware created to allow real cartridges to be used?

I'm not a developer but the message has been pretty clear all along that real cartridges are not really part of the remit of this project.
Save States aren't simple to achieve in hardware and could well need the core to be complete restarted so although it may not be impossible, the level of work needed on something that is already a fantastic core seems to make it very unlikely.

reflex
Atari User
Atari User

Postby reflex » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:33 am

BitsNStuff wrote:
sofakng wrote:Any chance of save states being added to this core or hardware created to allow real cartridges to be used?

I'm not a developer but the message has been pretty clear all along that real cartridges are not really part of the remit of this project.
Save States aren't simple to achieve in hardware and could well need the core to be complete restarted so although it may not be impossible, the level of work needed on something that is already a fantastic core seems to make it very unlikely.

As I understand it they aren't, although one of the independent hardware devs recently hinted that they may be developing one on Twitter. Not clear how that would work, or if 40 pins would even be enough. Personally if it were done I'd hope they did it via USB rather than direct interface.

BlockABoots

Postby BlockABoots » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:27 pm

Have noticed Formula 1 Sensation seems to have a fair few graphical glitches, is this a known issue?

ElDoctor
Atari User
Atari User

Postby ElDoctor » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:39 pm

This is what github is for...

Return to “MiSTer”