MiSTer NES Core

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Lightwave
Atari freak
Atari freak
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:18 pm

Re: MiSTer NES Core

Postby Lightwave » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:00 pm

PhantombrainM wrote:Okay, thank you for the explanation. I understood the technical background and I have luckily the technical abilities to modify them.

But what about the standard end user?


Could implement a solution similar to Nestopia’s XML database, for a consistent user experience.

https://github.com/0ldsk00l/nestopia/blob/master/NstDatabase.xml

JamesF
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 153
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:46 am

Re: MiSTer NES Core

Postby JamesF » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:01 pm

PhantombrainM wrote:But what about the standard end user?

Standard end user = RPi/Retroarch.

User avatar
kitrinx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:03 am

Re: MiSTer NES Core

Postby kitrinx » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:10 pm

PhantombrainM wrote:Sounds good for the core itself! :cheers:
But why should one fix any headers when these above are the official verified romsets? I prefer original non modified sets.


A cart is more than just ROM data. It has a hardware configuration as well, which must be described accurately. This is what a header does, it describes the part of the cart board that is not ROM data. Using an external database like some emulators do is a crutch to work around people using poorly maintained or inaccurate ROM headers, but imho it just makes the problem worse. Having set maintainers correct their ROMs to have accurate hardware descriptions is the best solution.

PhantombrainM
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 184
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:10 am

Re: MiSTer NES Core

Postby PhantombrainM » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:29 pm

I agree with you on that, Kitrinx. I would never have thought that in 2019 the databases would not be correct.

Something else:

Could it be done with the NES as with the Genesis that the file extension specifies the system if desired?
.fds = Famicom / NTSC
.nes = Nintendo Entertainment System / PAL
.bin = Japan (NTSC?)

I think that would be great!
Two beer or not two beer? - Shakesbeer.

trashuncle
Retro freak
Retro freak
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:34 pm

Re: MiSTer NES Core

Postby trashuncle » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:36 pm

PhantombrainM wrote:
Could it be done with the NES as with the Genesis that the file extension specifies the system if desired?
.fds = Famicom / NTSC
.nes = Nintendo Entertainment System / PAL
.bin = Japan (NTSC?)


You would have to have a mapper selection, not a country selection, which would be insane due to how many mappers there are.

User avatar
BitsNStuff
Atari freak
Atari freak
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:55 am
Contact:

Re: MiSTer NES Core

Postby BitsNStuff » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:34 am

Rather than using headers as they're used traditionally would it maybe be an idea for the system to create a text database where it saves details of the different ROMs by ROM name and the header details as well as settings for that particular game and refers to the database whenever a game is loaded? Almost like an .ini file for game info but it creates it as you use the games?

I assume it would turn into quite a hefty document and that may be an issue but maybe each core creating it's own database would assist that.

Let's be honest, people may well have 8 million .nes roms on the system but in reality, people generally use a tiny minority of the games on their SD card.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian
Posts: 5283
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:51 am
Location: Russia/Taiwan

Re: MiSTer NES Core

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:43 am

BitsNStuff wrote:Rather than using headers as they're used traditionally would it maybe be an idea for the system to create a text database where it saves details of the different ROMs by ROM name and the header details as well as settings for that particular game and refers to the database whenever a game is loaded? Almost like an .ini file for game info but it creates it as you use the games?

I assume it would turn into quite a hefty document and that may be an issue but maybe each core creating it's own database would assist that.

Let's be honest, people may well have 8 million .nes roms on the system but in reality, people generally use a tiny minority of the games on their SD card.

Don't make simple things complicated and you won't multiply the issues.
Use correct ROMs - this is right path.
It's not supposed to use any ROM from garbage can you can find.

User avatar
BitsNStuff
Atari freak
Atari freak
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:55 am
Contact:

Re: MiSTer NES Core

Postby BitsNStuff » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:00 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
BitsNStuff wrote:Rather than using headers as they're used traditionally would it maybe be an idea for the system to create a text database where it saves details of the different ROMs by ROM name and the header details as well as settings for that particular game and refers to the database whenever a game is loaded? Almost like an .ini file for game info but it creates it as you use the games?

I assume it would turn into quite a hefty document and that may be an issue but maybe each core creating it's own database would assist that.

Let's be honest, people may well have 8 million .nes roms on the system but in reality, people generally use a tiny minority of the games on their SD card.

Don't make simple things complicated and you won't multiply the issues.
Use correct ROMs - this is right path.
It's not supposed to use any ROM from garbage can you can find.

Yeah, I know. Just throwing ideas out there in response to what people were talking about. :)

User avatar
kitrinx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:03 am

Re: MiSTer NES Core

Postby kitrinx » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:16 pm

BitsNStuff wrote:Rather than using headers as they're used traditionally would it maybe be an idea for the system to create a text database where it saves details of the different ROMs by ROM name and the header details as well as settings for that particular game and refers to the database whenever a game is loaded? Almost like an .ini file for game info but it creates it as you use the games?

I assume it would turn into quite a hefty document and that may be an issue but maybe each core creating it's own database would assist that.

Let's be honest, people may well have 8 million .nes roms on the system but in reality, people generally use a tiny minority of the games on their SD card.


As I mention, databases like this are a crutch, and a full time job to build and maintain, there being thousands of NES games and hacks and etc to contend with. Frankly, this task is something that is not the responsibility of an emulator, but is the responsibility of the person maintaining the ROMs. It is our job to make an emulator that functions accurate with the hardware you describe to it, it is the ROM's job to describe the hardware accurately. NES header editors are plentiful and would serve the same purpose as an on-the-fly database.

User avatar
laserdisc
Atari User
Atari User
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:47 pm

Re: MiSTer NES Core

Postby laserdisc » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:17 pm

Anyone else having issues with the Famicom Disk System part of the Core?
Seems to be an issue reading "Side B" of fds files post NES_20190510.rbf. I've tested the last 2 versions (NES_20190627.rbf & NES_20190703.rbf) and Side B gives "ERR 07". I generally use the manual disk swap for Vs. Excitebike for loading & editing tracks. Even tried using files from different sources and got the same ERR 07. These same files works fine on 0510.

Games tested: Zelda no Densetsu 1.0 & 1.1 - Vs. Excitebike

Thanks

spartanFI
Atarian
Atarian
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:15 pm

Re: MiSTer NES Core

Postby spartanFI » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:25 pm

laserdisc wrote:Anyone else having issues with the Famicom Disk System part of the Core?
Seems to be an issue reading "Side B" of fds files post NES_20190510.rbf. I've tested the last 2 versions (NES_20190627.rbf & NES_20190703.rbf) and Side B gives "ERR 07". I generally use the manual disk swap for Vs. Excitebike for loading & editing tracks. Even tried using files from different sources and got the same ERR 07. These same files works fine on 0510.

Games tested: Zelda no Densetsu 1.0 & 1.1 - Vs. Excitebike

Thanks


Same ERR 07 problem here with NES_20190703.rbf. Tested Zelda no Densetsu, Metroid and Yume Koujou Doki Doki Panic in both auto and manual disk swap. Works fine with NES_20190510.rbf.

User avatar
kitrinx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:03 am

Re: MiSTer NES Core

Postby kitrinx » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:05 pm

laserdisc wrote:Anyone else having issues with the Famicom Disk System part of the Core?
Seems to be an issue reading "Side B" of fds files post NES_20190510.rbf. I've tested the last 2 versions (NES_20190627.rbf & NES_20190703.rbf) and Side B gives "ERR 07". I generally use the manual disk swap for Vs. Excitebike for loading & editing tracks. Even tried using files from different sources and got the same ERR 07. These same files works fine on 0510.

Games tested: Zelda no Densetsu 1.0 & 1.1 - Vs. Excitebike

Thanks


These issues are likely resolved in the code, they just have not been released as a build yet.

User avatar
laserdisc
Atari User
Atari User
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:47 pm

Re: MiSTer NES Core

Postby laserdisc » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:25 pm

kitrinx wrote:
laserdisc wrote:Anyone else having issues with the Famicom Disk System part of the Core?
Seems to be an issue reading "Side B" of fds files post NES_20190510.rbf.


These issues are likely resolved in the code, they just have not been released as a build yet.


Thanks for the heads up. :)

Ashenshards
Atariator
Atariator
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:24 pm

Re: MiSTer NES Core

Postby Ashenshards » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:36 pm

I noticed playing Faxanadu when entering buildings the Sprites fall down into position. This is noticeable in the starting town. Some places outside as well. Not the chapel though. I'm playing US. Maybe it's a setting I'm using? 719 build. Anyone else experience this?

User avatar
kitrinx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:03 am

Re: MiSTer NES Core

Postby kitrinx » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:51 pm

Ashenshards wrote:I noticed playing Faxanadu when entering buildings the Sprites fall down into position. This is noticeable in the starting town. Some places outside as well. Not the chapel though. I'm playing US. Maybe it's a setting I'm using? 719 build. Anyone else experience this?


Is it different than real hardware? Perhaps you can find a youtube video and compare what you see to this effect. I'm not too familiar with the game. Try disabling extra sprites or any options of that nature before you test further.

Ashenshards
Atariator
Atariator
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:24 pm

Re: MiSTer NES Core

Postby Ashenshards » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:36 pm

Welp, I'm an idiot. Just played it on my original console/cart and it plays exactly the same.

sorry

drj3rk
Atariator
Atariator
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue May 14, 2019 10:12 pm

Re: MiSTer NES Core

Postby drj3rk » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:38 pm

Ashenshards wrote:Welp, I'm an idiot. Just played it on my original console/cart and it plays exactly the same.

sorry


This is interesting (even though you've discovered it is original behavior). I just noticed that on the intro to Legendary Axe II on the TurboGrafx core, that the two battling characters are several pixels off of the ground. (which is not the original behavior)

Just an interesting coincidence. :wink:

djmartins
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:26 pm

Re: MiSTer NES Core

Postby djmartins » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:19 am

Ashenshards wrote:Welp, I'm an idiot.


Not really.
One rarely expects the original to have such problems....

batyrlan82
Atarian
Atarian
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:59 pm

Re: MiSTer NES Core

Postby batyrlan82 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:11 pm

Hello Sorgelig!

Is it possible to define in Settings dedicated buttons for Turbo buttons like were in Dendy Junior? I use USB SNES controller and It's not convenient to duplicate A and B buttons and then set them for auto fire for each game.

Also, is it possible to add 125 ms value for auto fire? This value was used in Dendy Junior for turbo buttons.

Thank you.

P.S. my apologize for my English, I'm Russian speaking user.

tom5151
Atarian
Atarian
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:22 pm

Re: MiSTer NES Core

Postby tom5151 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:22 pm

Am I the only one to have no image but just sound with the latest NES core 20191117 ?

jca
Atarian
Atarian
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:55 pm

Re: MiSTer NES Core

Postby jca » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:42 pm

When the core came out I made a post which has not appeared (it looks like it takes a lot of time for the moderators to approve anything).
My problem was that loading a game prevented F12 to popup the OSD. The next day when I tried again everything worked fine.
When you updated the core di you also update MISTer?
Jean-Claude

tom5151
Atarian
Atarian
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:22 pm

Re: MiSTer NES Core

Postby tom5151 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:33 am

I've updated everything.
Someone (on another forum) said to me this bug occurs only when HQ2x filter is used.
That's totally true, if I remove HQ2x filter, the image appears back again.


Return to “MiSTer”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: olo55, SegaMan and 6 guests