Is my DE10-Nano Broken?

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

BlockABoots
Atari freak
Atari freak

Is my DE10-Nano Broken?

Postby BlockABoots » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:44 pm

So i just today got my DE10-Nano board, after watching SmokeMonsters recent video on not need a RAM or I/O Board to play some cores i thought id fire it up to test whilst wait on these boards to become available.

I followed the guide here, https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... etup-Guide

and once completed i copied over the Megadrive core to the root of the SD card and placed some roms in a folder, I inserted the SD card into the Nano, connected up the HDMI cable from my TV and got a 5.5mm barrel to USB cable and connected it to my USB 3.0 socket on my PC and then to the Nano.

A few lights on the Nano board light up but im getting no image on my TV at all, any ideas?

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Is my DE10-Nano Broken?

Postby Newsdee » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:55 pm

Happens sometimes to me when the SD card is corrupt. Reformatting the card fixes it, but is a pain. I keep a copy of the SD contents on my PC for this purpose.

You can also try a different SD card.

BlockABoots
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby BlockABoots » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:22 pm

So the Nano with MiSTer should definitely boot without the Sdram board?

When i power it on i get the blue led labelled 3v, the green 'user led' stays lit and as does the 8 leds in a row next to it stay lit

NML32
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby NML32 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:34 pm

BlockABoots wrote:So the Nano with MiSTer should definitely boot without the Sdram board?

When i power it on i get the blue led labelled 3v, the green 'user led' stays lit and as does the 8 leds in a row next to it stay lit

I sent you a PM.

BlockABoots
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby BlockABoots » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:40 pm

NML32 wrote:
BlockABoots wrote:So the Nano with MiSTer should definitely boot without the Sdram board?

I sent you a PM.

Sadly that hasnt helped.

I should have maybe said earlier that i got this Nano from an eBay seller, could it be that some config is flashed to the drive that is conflicting with installing MiSTer on this. Is that a way or is it needed to get the board back to factory default if there is such a thing?

NML32
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby NML32 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:09 pm

BlockABoots wrote:
NML32 wrote:

I sent you a PM.

Sadly that hasnt helped.

I should have maybe said earlier that i got this Nano from an eBay seller, could it be that some config is flashed to the drive that is conflicting with installing MiSTer on this. Is that a way or is it needed to get the board back to factory default if there is such a thing?

Maybe the dip switches need to be in the default factory settings?
If you have the original box look at the picture on the top of the box for the settings.
If that doesn't work try another TV or different SD card.

IMG_0019.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BlockABoots
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby BlockABoots » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:44 pm

NML32 wrote:
BlockABoots wrote:
NML32 wrote:I sent you a PM.

Sadly that hasnt helped.

Maybe the dip switches need to be in the default factory settings?
If you have the original box look at the picture on the top of the box for the settings.
If that doesn't work try another TV or different SD card.

IMG_0019.JPG

Yeah have checked the dip switches and they appear to be in the correct position and have also tried a different SD card and still no joy.

Is there another image i could try that is not MiSTer, like an OS or something just to Raw the MiSTer installation out of the equation ?

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:44 am

May be try the stock distro for DE10 Nano:

https://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page ... 6&PartNo=4

see under

Linux BSP (Board Support Package): MicroSD Card Image

It should at least give you HDMI output and a Linux Desktop. 8)

BlockABoots
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby BlockABoots » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:01 pm

NegSol wrote:May be try the stock distro for DE10 Nano:

https://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page ... 6&PartNo=4

see under

Linux BSP (Board Support Package): MicroSD Card Image

It should at least give you HDMI output and a Linux Desktop. 8)

Ok have tried the image and im still not getting a display and the 3.3v, User led and row of 8 leds are still constantly illuminated!. I currently only have the HDMI, Power cable and SD Card plugged into the board, its as if its unable to detect theres an SD card inserted as i get the same results if i dont have an SD card plugged into the NANO

witchmaster
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby witchmaster » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:30 pm

Was the DE10-Nano sold as new or used? Since you didn't get it to work yet, the unit is probably defective.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:55 pm

DE10-nano comes with SD card which should boot into Linux and output video to HDMI.
If it doesn't work, then board is broken.

olin
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby olin » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:30 pm

I'd say if you can return the item back to the seller that is probably your safest option. If not, then try to connect "UART to USB (USB Mini B)" cable, the one next to the ETH socket to your computer, open the terminal (the connection parameters are 115200 8N1) and reboot your DE10nano. Check whether you can see any output from your DE10-nano. You should see something similar:

Code: Select all

U-Boot SPL 2017.03+ (May 23 2018 - 19:09:48)
Trying to boot from MMC1                                                     

U-Boot 2017.03+ (May 23 2018 - 19:09:48 +0800)                               

Watchdog enabled                                                     
DRAM:  1 GiB                                                                 
socfpga_bridges_reset: FPGA not ready, aborting.                             
MMC:   dwmmc0@ff704000: 0                                                   
*** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment                             

In:    serial                                               
Out:   serial                                               
Err:   serial                                               
Autoboot in 0 seconds                                       
reading menu.rbf     

If you can see something else, post it here. If you don't see anything and you still feel adventurous you can install Quartus Prime SDK and connect your DE10 via "USB BlasterII" (next to the HDMI port) cable to your computer and try to re-program the DE10 with some example program. Refer to chapter3.2 Configuration of CycloneV SoC FPGA on DE10-Nano of the DE10-Nano User Manual (downloadable on Terasic web site).

olin
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby olin » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:55 pm

BTW, the picture shows your small DIP switches (SW10) seem to be incorrectly configured. According to the DE10 user manual the value 0 means ON and value 1 means OFF (don't ask me why, but it is counter intuitive). In your picture they are all set to 1, which is OFF. Therefore I'd suggest to set them to the default position (On, Off, On, Off, On, X, in other words 0,1,0,1,0,0 where the first pin is on the left). It's worth a try.

Edit: make sure you turn off DE10 before fiddling with the switches. Set them up and then power it on. Ideally with the UART USB cable plugged in the computer and terminal session open to check the boot log.

bernouilli
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby bernouilli » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:47 pm

You can also try with another hdmi cable and make sure the cable is fully inserted in the de10.
I had the same problem when I received my de10.

BlockABoots
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby BlockABoots » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:53 pm

Had to try 3 different PSUs an now its working but now i cant get my XBOX pad to work on it

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:36 am

XBox pads won't work (due to proprietary MS shenanigans). Try another type of gamepad.

olin
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby olin » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:41 pm

XBox pads won't work (due to proprietary MS shenanigans).

Recent Linux kernels have support for Xbox pads, but they need to be explicitly enabled in the kernel config. Enable JOYSTICK_XPAD (location in kernel 4.4: Device Drivers -> Input device support -> Generic input layer -> Joysticks/Gamepads), and alternatively JOYSTICK_XPAD_FF (for rumble support) and/or JOYSTICK_XPAD_LEDS (to control the LEDs on the X middle button). Without the last one the X button unpleasantly blinks all the time (electrical tape solves it as well though), but once these are compiled into kernel the Xbox pads behave like normal USB joystick.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:14 am

IIRC it was included in my kernel.

olin
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby olin » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:14 am

IIRC it was included in my kernel.

I tested it today and indeed it is included. My Xbox360 (genuine) game pad was recognised by MiSTer and does work. I could define the buttons, but the gamepad in games is unusable as it gets stuck in one direction after pressing a directional button (I tried to define both Dpad and Analog pad for directions to check whether it makes a difference, it does not). This issue is known and was reported (and explained) on page 5 of the Joystick testing thread. I was using the same Xbox360 game pad in my other projects (Linux based) and had no problems with it. I can take a look whether I could improve the Xbox controller support.

BlockABoots wrote: now i cant get my XBOX pad to work on it

Make sure you use powered USB hub to connect your joysticks.

olin
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby olin » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:18 pm

olin wrote: I can take a look whether I could improve the Xbox controller support.

I've made a fix for the issue, more info in the Joystick testing thread.

Return to “MiSTer”