https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

ikilby
Atarian
Atarian

Is a Dreamcast core possible

Postby ikilby » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:01 pm

Question as above really.

Does the DE-10 Nano have the meat to run a Dreamcast core?

Is anyone working on such a thing?

PhantombrainM
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Is a Dreamcast core possible

Postby PhantombrainM » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:04 pm

I don't think its possible.
I'm not a programmer but I looked at some specs myself.
As far as I know the MISTer Cyclone can have up 50Mhz and someone said it may be pushed up to 100Mhz by doubling it somehow.

The Dreamcast has far higher speeds.
Maybe a Hybrid Core can be made. In Theory.
Two beer or not two beer? - Shakesbeer.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:22 pm

PhantombrainM wrote:I don't think its possible.
As far as I know the MISTer Cyclone can have up 50Mhz and someone said it may be pushed up to 100Mhz by doubling it somehow.

up to 50MHz? where you get this nonsense? ;)
50MHz input clock doesn't mean it's the only frequency possible. Even PC has something like 50MHz clock generator on board which is not preventing CPU to run at 4GHz :)

There is such thing like PLL which can multiply/divide input clock in wide range. There are several PLLs inside FPGA.

As for Dreamcast - it has 3D graphics which may require a lot of logic - probably more than MiSTer's FPGA has.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:12 pm

We're not even done with 8bit and 16bit systems... and as far as I know there aren't many 32bir+ systems on the works. Torlus was looking at Jaguar long ago but I think he didn'r publish his sources (just a video showing preliminary work).

eris
Atariator
Atariator

Postby eris » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:26 am

Sorgelig wrote:
PhantombrainM wrote:I don't think its possible.

up to 50MHz? where you get this nonsense? ;)
50MHz input clock doesn't mean it's the only frequency possible. Even PC has something like 50MHz clock generator on board which is not preventing CPU to run at 4GHz :)

There is such thing like PLL which can multiply/divide input clock in wide range. There are several PLLs inside FPGA.

As for Dreamcast - it has 3D graphics which may require a lot of logic - probably more than MiSTer's FPGA has.

The Dreamcast had a PowerVR2 GPU roughly equivalent to a 3DFX Voodoo2 GPU. The PowerVR2 was clocked at 100 MHz and had quite a bit of dedicated and complex 3D operations in addition to 8 MB of dedicated internal memory. It can render 7 million polygons per second while the Dreamcast's SH-4 CPU is performing geometry transforms and lighting on 10 millions polygons a second to feed the GPU. Chip complexity is roughly 8-10 million transistors or close to the complexity of a Pentium II. That's not including any game logic, so yes I think it's probably a little beyond the brave little DE-10's capabilities even if someone didn't mind implementing the PowerVR and SH-4 cores. :)

slowmo310
Atariator
Atariator

Postby slowmo310 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:39 am

you clearly do not understand how complex of a machine the Dreamcast is to reverse engineer...

ikilby
Atarian
Atarian

Postby ikilby » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:42 am

Thanks for the answers, & you are correct I really do not have any idea how complex the Dreamcast is to reverse engineer.

ReedSolomon
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby ReedSolomon » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:39 am

Newsdee wrote: Torlus was looking at Jaguar long ago but I think he didn't publish his sources

ElectronAsh(http://www.atari-forum.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=28082) was playing with it a few days ago IIRC. https://github.com/Torlus/JagNetlists

slowmo310 wrote:you clearly do not understand how complex of a machine the Dreamcast is to reverse engineer...

Indeed. It was powerful enough to run Windows CE after all.

Return to “MiSTer”