https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: FX CAST Atari ST core

Postby ericgus » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:34 am

ijor wrote:
rsn8887 wrote:Since I am using HDMI, I am also experiencing the previously reported problems that the core is not outputting 1080p but some other resolution. It seems it is not obeying my Mister.ini config file correctly, because I set 1080p there.

In addition, and I hope this is actually a new issue, the output via HDMI in monochrome mode is not 72 Hz, but 60 Hz. Since I set vsync_adjust=2, I expected to see 72 Hz like on a real Atari ST.

The core currently supports only a small subset of the Mister.ini settings. Check the "Video Frequency" option at the core's OSD menu to enable/disable forced 60Hz frequency.

The problem I and many other people had is the default video mode the core starts in prevents us from even seeing the OSD menu .. so you can't even get to the "forced 60hz" option as the screen is totally and utterly all black with absolutely nothing on the screen (except for "unsupported video mode" on my monitor), I did it blindly just from someone telling me how many key presses to do and in what sequence, THEN I could finally see the screen as my monitor didnt like or work at ALL with whatever the cores baked-in defaults are..

This should also be addressed when you work on the SDRAM .. this is a major show stopper .. using the updated framework with the builtin video updates would fix this.

rsn8887
Atariator
Atariator

Postby rsn8887 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:48 pm

ijor wrote:
rsn8887 wrote:Since I am using HDMI, I am also experiencing the previously reported problems that the core is not outputting 1080p but some other resolution. It seems it is not obeying my Mister.ini config file correctly, because I set 1080p there.

In addition, and I hope this is actually a new issue, the output via HDMI in monochrome mode is not 72 Hz, but 60 Hz. Since I set vsync_adjust=2, I expected to see 72 Hz like on a real Atari ST.

The core currently supports only a small subset of the Mister.ini settings. Check the "Video Frequency" option at the core's OSD menu to enable/disable forced 60Hz frequency.

Hmm I set Video Frequency to "Auto", and it correctly goes to 50 Hz for Color PAL, but it goes to 60 Hz for monochrome, not 72 Hz as expected. My knowledge of Atari ST is limited since I never owned one, but I am 99% sure the monochrome monitor ran in 72 Hz or somewhere close to that.

I am using HDMI out, and other cores go to odd frequencies as needed, e.q. 49 Hz on C64, 51 Hz on Amiga etc., so in principle it should work.

danielb
Atariator
Atariator

Postby danielb » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:55 pm

Hi,

I read elsewhere that the FXCast core can support SMSQ/E. Is this still true on the Mister?

SMSQ/E would be a fantastic bonus if this is true.

D.

Beaps
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Beaps » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:38 pm

Hi all,

Im trying to run this ver fxcast-012 and ver 14 and I just get a white screen, then like 3 bombs in the bottom left, then reboots. What am I doing wrong, do I need to place the TOS files in certain location.

mancrascal
Atarian
Atarian

Postby mancrascal » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:18 pm

Beaps wrote:Hi all,

Im trying to run this ver fxcast-012 and ver 14 and I just get a white screen, then like 3 bombs in the bottom left, then reboots. What am I doing wrong, do I need to place the TOS files in certain location.

Same for me.

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:02 pm

If you have a larger SDRAM module installed (eg anything bigger than the original 32mb module) this core likely wont work ..

Beaps
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Beaps » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:09 pm

Great. I've just upgraded to 128 :-(

Decky
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Decky » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:44 am

ericgus wrote:

If you have a larger SDRAM module installed (eg anything bigger than the original 32mb module) this core likely wont work ..

Bummer, I also have purchased a 128Mb memory module for my new MiSTer. Is it a mater of just removing the memory and FX Cast will run from the onboard DE 10 Nano memory?
Atari STe 4Mb with TOS 1.62 / 2.06 Switchable, thanks to Techie Alison. UltraSatan, CosmosEx, Gotek

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:11 am

FX CAST 0.15 core. Experimental test version for newer SDRAM boards:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=34554#p355935

It is experimental because I have currently no way to test the core with newer SDRAM boards. Those people with those boards, 64MB or 128MB, please let me know.
Fx Cast: Atari St cycle accurate fpga core

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:16 am

rsn8887 wrote:Hmm I set Video Frequency to "Auto", and it correctly goes to 50 Hz for Color PAL, but it goes to 60 Hz for monochrome, not 72 Hz as expected.

There might be a problem. I will check it.

danielb wrote:I read elsewhere that the FXCast core can support SMSQ/E. Is this still true on the Mister?
SMSQ/E would be a fantastic bonus if this is true.

I'm not familiar with SMSQ/E at all. It might work, don't really know.

Beaps wrote:Im trying to run this ver fxcast-012 and ver 14 and I just get a white screen, then like 3 bombs in the bottom left, then reboots. What am I doing wrong, do I need to place the TOS files in certain location.

Besides the issue with the newer DRAM boards (please check version 015 that I just posted), you have to load an ST disk image.

comatron
Atarian
Atarian

Postby comatron » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:40 am

I really love the core and besides minimig its the most used one. But i am still really missing that pal 15khz mode to use it on the crt. Do you still need something to test it? Do you think it will happen anytime soon? I would be glad to help out. Greetings and thanx for that awesome work!

mancrascal
Atarian
Atarian

Postby mancrascal » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:03 am

ijor wrote:
Besides the issue with the newer DRAM boards (please check version 015 that I just posted), you have to load an ST disk image.

Hey this now doesn't bomb out on mine (32mb ram) and I have just been able to load an ST image for the first time. Thank you :-)

Beaps
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Beaps » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:16 am

Just tested on my 128 and it works THANKS! for the update, happy days. Just the 15khz to be working now and it will feel like its Christmas :D :D

Kolchak
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Kolchak » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:42 pm

This is working with my 128MB board now. Thank you. :cheers:

But, I can still hear strange background high frequency noise through HDMI on Wings of death intro, same for Satan.
(This is there since the begining). If I remind well, that was working without that strange background noise through analog. :shrug:
MISTER, MISTICA, Atari STE 4MB + Ultrasatan + Gotek.

mancrascal
Atarian
Atarian

Postby mancrascal » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:36 pm

Kolchak wrote:This is working with my 128MB board now. Thank you. :cheers:

But, I can still hear strange background high frequency noise through HDMI on Wings of death intro, same for Satan.
(This is there since the begining). If I remind well, that was working without that strange background noise through analog. :shrug:

Yeah I get it on Speedball 2.

Milongero
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Milongero » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:59 pm

Super - now also works with 128MB
The picture on my 16 to 9 monitor is still stretched.
Thanks for taking care of it again.

dgarman
Atarian
Atarian

Postby dgarman » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:46 am

But not with 64MB.

ekureuil
Atarian
Atarian

Postby ekureuil » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:21 pm

I tried the new version with my 64MB board and i have a working GEM ! :-)

I remember reading that inputs may be problematic with an unpowered hub, which i have (i tested with a keyboard, a mouse and a ps3 controller). And i can say that there are indeed problems, but they are very random:
1) it only happens in the core (not mister).
2) it only seem to happen for certain game (for example: Into the Eagles Nest / Automation Disk A002)
3) and even then, if you first only connect keyboard (to launch the game) and then connect mouse + ps3 controller, it seems to work ... ?
4) i never saw any problem in GEM with all 3 connected and in many games i tried.

I tried to launch the first Automation Disk (A000), it works in hatari, but the core cannot recognize it as a floppy disk at all.

On an (somewhat) unrelated note, i tried the empire strikes back on Automation disk A001 and it worked fine for like a minute and crashed with an illegal exception. And the funny thing is that i launched the same exact floppy image and game in hatari in parallel and got the same illegal exception although not quite at the same time ... Does anyone knows if that is a copy protection that has not been removed ? Or is it a genuine incompatibility appearing in both hatari and this core ???

Anyway, good job making a blind fix to your core :-)

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:39 pm

ekureuil wrote:... I remember reading that inputs may be problematic with an unpowered hub, which i have (i tested with a keyboard, a mouse and a ps3 controller). And i can say that there are indeed problems, but they are very random:

I still had no time to look into that issue. I suspect a combination of problems, including possibly something wrong on my side as well.

I tried to launch the first Automation Disk (A000), it works in hatari, but the core cannot recognize it as a floppy disk at all.

That image has 84 tracks. Such geometry is not supported, (almost) no real drive can load something like that. I need to check if all those tracks are really used or just the image info is wrong.

On an (somewhat) unrelated note, i tried the empire strikes back on Automation disk A001 and it worked fine for like a minute and crashed with an illegal exception. And the funny thing is that i launched the same exact floppy image and game in hatari in parallel and got the same illegal exception although not quite at the same time ... Does anyone knows if that is a copy protection that has not been removed ? Or is it a genuine incompatibility appearing in both hatari and this core ???

It might be a configuration issue. It might require a specific TOS version or RAM size. Anyway, followup about that in some of the software sub forums please.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:39 pm

dgarman wrote:But not with 64MB.

It works for others with a 64MB DRAM board. Please double check and remember to load an ST image file.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:00 pm

64MB modules are known to have bad timings.
If SDRAM clock is higher than 100MHz then expect the problems on 64MB.

get rid of 64MB module.

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:49 am

Works with my 64MB setup, but then again it also passes at 167MHz. Ijor, what is the max speed used by your SDRAM controller setup with FX CAST?
I am the flux ninja

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:52 am

New version works fine with my 128mb module .. though the aspect ratio is still broken .. but I suspect thats due to not having the updated framework with the scaler and such.

tempus007
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby tempus007 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:22 am

Hello to all,

First of all thanks to ijor for this surper port which is very faithful.

I have a 128MB RAM and it works fine now.

The only problems I encounter are the gamepads that stop working after 5 to 10 minutes of games, in USB SEGA RETRO-BIT or bluetooth 8bitdo.

Games tested:
Back to the Future Part III and Beyond the Ice Palace.

jamesfmackenzie
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby jamesfmackenzie » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:40 pm

Thanks for the hard work ijor

Do you plan to support hard disks and/or .STX floppy images in an upcoming revision?

Return to “MiSTer”