FX CAST Atari ST core

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Re: FX CAST Atari ST core

Postby slingshot » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:08 am

ijor wrote:Probably MiSTery is still not as accurate as my core in ST mode. But I expect it to mostly catch up sooner or later. Perhaps with the main exception of supporting copy protected images. Well, at least that would be difficult to implement within the limitations of the MiST hardware. This is a pitty, because copy protected images exercise and test core accuracy even more than demos. Might be possible, perhaps, with some pre processing performed at a PC.

Of course it's not. Troed's wakestate detection code still identifies the machine as STe even in ST mode. However the mentioned two demos have other problems. Maybe MFP issue, just curious how did you implement it? Experimented until worked (I think it's not your style), or decapped the MFP, too?

Don't know if it will ever support copy protections, but if 0 wait state ROM access was possible, then maybe this one, too. However a demo-friendly blitter is higher priority for me.

Methanoid
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Methanoid » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:22 pm

Hi

I found the original announcement from last year and wondered if there is anything happening with regard to the limitations (some of which I wasnt fussed about personally but these ones below are pretty useful to have added.....)

- ST/STFM only. No STE functionality. No Blitter. ***
- No hard disk support.
- No user selection of the TOS version. Has TOS 1.0 UK.
- No user selection of amount of RAM. Hardwired for 1MB.
- Single floppy disk drive. Read only.
- No option for faster than real floppy disk.
- No turbo mode (CPU always runs at nominal frequency)

I didn't see a changelog so wonder if anything has changed or not? :shrug: For me ST & Amiga are the primary MiSTer drivers!

Milongero
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Milongero » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:35 pm

Hello,

first of all I have to praise the wonderful work that makes it possible to recreate an Atari ST so realistically.

I still think it would be nice if the FXCAST would run properly on one of my two monitors.
On my modern Samsung UHD monitor (3ms latency) in 16:9 format the picture is stretched over HDMI.
And on my Sony PVM (no latency), unfortunately, more than the possible displayable 15 kHz arrive in color mode, so I can't even use it in RGB mode.

To use the Fxcast properly you need an old 4:3 VGA LCD Monitor. :-(
And hardly anyone uses these monitors to play anymore because most of them have a very bad latency. And then there's the scandoubler which worsens the latency even more.
What use is an exact CPU core if the display delays all the good work again?

On the MIST there are now two Atari-ST cores that run well enough in RGB mode for games. That's why I still use the MIST in parallel.

Greetings Lutz

Shamus
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Shamus » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:51 pm

Yeah, the ST core announcement about a year ago made me get a MiSTer. Still, I cannot run the core as I am using a DVI LCD. The MiSTer let's me peek into the consoles and arcades of the 80s and 90s, though, which is quite fun! I am also happy with the VIC-20 and C64 cores. The ST core, however, would bring back real nostalgia for me - I am still hoping ... :roll:

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:12 pm

Sorry about that. As said, real life was giving little free time lately. Hopefully that will change shortly and I'll be able to keep developing this core.
Fx Cast: Atari St cycle accurate fpga core

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:41 am

ijor wrote:Sorry about that. As said, real life was giving little free time lately. Hopefully that will change shortly and I'll be able to keep developing this core.

Perhaps you can just put what you got so far on github and let someone else pick it up? I am sure there are a number of people who would gladly help out. Of course if the code isn't available, they cant. .. just a thought. I know you previously mentioned the code is not as neat and clean as you would like but I dont think they will mind that for the most part.

damanloox
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby damanloox » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:17 pm

well... good ST core (possibly supporting STE/blitter) would be great for MiSTer. MIST has really good core but is not as flexible as MiSTer so it's a shame we have so many cores on MiSTer but not... ST...

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:20 am

damanloox wrote:well... good ST core (possibly supporting STE/blitter) would be great for MiSTer. MIST has really good core but is not as flexible as MiSTer so it's a shame we have so many cores on MiSTer but not... ST...

Go on to port it.

damanloox
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby damanloox » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:58 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Go on to port it.

I wish I had the skills and time.. I've none of these unfortunately...

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:03 pm

Posted a small update:

FX CAST 0.14 core.

- Minor fixes.
- Optional Blitter (note that it is disabled by default).
- 4MB Ram option
- Support serial flow control and modem signals over Midi Link
- Posted version with TOS 1.04

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=34554#p355935

Again, this is just a small update.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:04 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
damanloox wrote:well... good ST core (possibly supporting STE/blitter) would be great for MiSTer. MIST has really good core but is not as flexible as MiSTer so it's a shame we have so many cores on MiSTer but not... ST...

Go on to port it.

I will port it myself if nobody does. I actually like multiple cores, I think it is a good thing. And part of the MiSTery core is mine anyway :)

Milongero
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Milongero » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:12 pm

That's really great news, thank you very much and a lot of success I'm already looking forward to it

lutz

Kolchak
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Kolchak » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:52 pm

Great News ! :)

Although for now FX CAST is not working with my 128MB MiSTer SDRAM Board (disk is not loading at all).
But, thank you a lot for the new version anyway. :cheers:
MISTER, MISTICA, Atari STE 4MB + Ultrasatan + Gotek.

ghogan42
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby ghogan42 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:37 am

Kolchak wrote:Great News ! :)

Although for now FX CAST is not working with my 128MB MiSTer SDRAM Board (disk is not loading at all).
But, thank you a lot for the new version anyway. :cheers:

For these non-official-repository mister cores, I think the author will need different timings for the 128MB board. For his arcade cores, Jotego made a number of test builds with different ram timings for his cores and figured out the best timings by having some users with 128MB report which builds worked.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:06 am

ghogan42 wrote:For these non-official-repository mister cores, I think the author will need different timings for the 128MB board. For his arcade cores, Jotego made a number of test builds with different ram timings for his cores and figured out the best timings by having some users with 128MB report which builds worked.

I don't have a 128MB card to test, but I don't think it is a timing issue. These new RAM boards multiplex a couple of signals that older board did not. Need to adapt the DRAM controller code to handle this.

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:11 am

ijor wrote:Posted a small update:

FX CAST 0.14 core.

- Minor fixes.
Again, this is just a small update.

Was the broken video issue fixed? (defaults for HDMI out uses a non standard output & not supported on many monitors, aspect ratio issues)

PhantombrainM
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby PhantombrainM » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:56 am

ijor wrote:
ghogan42 wrote:For these non-official-repository mister cores, I think the author will need different timings for the 128MB board. For his arcade cores, Jotego made a number of test builds with different ram timings for his cores and figured out the best timings by having some users with 128MB report which builds worked.

I don't have a 128MB card to test, but I don't think it is a timing issue. These new RAM boards multiplex a couple of signals that older board did not. Need to adapt the DRAM controller code to handle this.

As far as I know you just have to update the MISTer Framework of your Core. Rest is handled automatically.
Two beer or not two beer? - Shakesbeer.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:54 pm

ericgus wrote:Was the broken video issue fixed? (defaults for HDMI out uses a non standard output & not supported on many monitors, aspect ratio issues)

Sorry, no changes at the video output yet.

PhantombrainM wrote:As far as I know you just have to update the MISTer Framework of your Core. Rest is handled automatically.

But my core has a custom implementation of the framework.

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:05 pm

PhantombrainM wrote:
As far as I know you just have to update the MISTer Framework of your Core. Rest is handled automatically.

For the SDRAM controller? Don't think so.

rsn8887
Atarian
Atarian

Postby rsn8887 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:11 pm

Thank you for this core!

Since I am using HDMI, I am also experiencing the previously reported problems that the core is not outputting 1080p but some other resolution. It seems it is not obeying my Mister.ini config file correctly, because I set 1080p there.

In addition, and I hope this is actually a new issue, the output via HDMI in monochrome mode is not 72 Hz, but 60 Hz. Since I set vsync_adjust=2, I expected to see 72 Hz like on a real Atari ST. I think this might be a new issue. Please forgive me if this is an old issue I am just repeating. I just glanced over the posts and didn't read them 1 by 1.

Return to “MiSTer”