FX CAST Atari ST core

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Gunstick
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: FX CAST Atari ST core

Postby Gunstick » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:41 pm

ijor wrote:Dark side of the Spoon and Parallax Distorter do run fine. I wouldn't date to release a core that fails one my top favorite demos :) Enchanted Lands, with the known issue at the right border, also runs fine. Or do you mean to be able to actually see more pixels at the right border?

I know they would run fine. I searched for a screen copy of the effect I am looking for, could not find one. No emulator reproduces this. It's a tiny detail. Maybe only visible on a CRT where you turn the horizontal adjustment way to the left.

funkychimp
Atarian
Atarian

Postby funkychimp » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:36 pm

Ijor,

Is there any news on the sound fix?

Thanks

Funkychimp

Gunstick
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Gunstick » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:37 pm

funkychimp wrote:Ijor,
Is there any news on the sound fix?

I don't have an FPGA to try myself.

As said, check You Bore https://demozoo.org/music/111053/ and compare it to the recording http://sndhrecord.atari.org/mp3/505/You ... 180%29.mp3

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:59 am

Gunstick wrote:I know they would run fine. I searched for a screen copy of the effect I am looking for, could not find one. No emulator reproduces this. It's a tiny detail. Maybe only visible on a CRT where you turn the horizontal adjustment way to the left.

If you are talking about the effects of stabilization, that should be reproduced by the core. But currently you don't see it because the actual display is not that wide. I need to make a configuration option to enable wider borders.

If you mean something right at the horizontal sync, I can't say and I don't know really what you mean. That might depend on a specific CRT effect.
Fx Cast: Atari St cycle accurate fpga core

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:00 am

funkychimp wrote:Is there any news on the sound fix?

I do have a fix that seem to work for most (but not for all) people that have no sound. Send me a PM please.

SaschaFFM
Atari User
Atari User

Postby SaschaFFM » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:17 pm

Really love this core. I have not had any issues with sound or anything else. Hope it will not be too complicated to get the 15khz via VGA implemented. That would be awesome for people like me who like attaching to good old CRTs.

Keep up the good work and thank you!

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:12 pm

The current VGA works great for me. You just need to make sure that your monitor actually supports 50Hz, or the game (or demo) has the ability to switch to 60Hz.
I am the flux ninja

SaschaFFM
Atari User
Atari User

Postby SaschaFFM » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:19 pm

Problem is not VGA or 50/60hz. The core just doesn’t support 15khz (vertical frequency), which is the standard for CRT-TVs.
It does work via VGA to LCD-Monitor (guess 31khz) for this core. But not to a TV. Most other cores support 31 and 15 kHz.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:17 am

SaschaFFM wrote:Hope it will not be too complicated to get the 15khz via VGA implemented.

It's not complicated, well, except perhaps for the issue that monochrome mode is not 15KHz. The main reason it's not implemented yet, is just because I have no 15KHz capable monitor and then I can't test it. At least not without some external scan doubler.

SaschaFFM
Atari User
Atari User

Postby SaschaFFM » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:10 am

I would have an extra VGA-Scart Cable that I could spare:

https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=116

If this helps and you have access to an older TV with SCART (don't know in which region you live, SCART was something EU-specific I guess) I would love to send it to you.

SegaMan
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby SegaMan » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:42 am

Is the FX Cast core running only in 16:9 mode?

Dont find any feature to set it up 4:3.

telengard
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby telengard » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:55 pm

Thanks ijor for your work on this core, very appreciated.

I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread, but I get a "resolution not supported" on my HDMI tv when loading up the core. I haven't seen that with any other cores. I thought I read somewhere a custom resolution was being used, but I can't seem to find that reference now.

Just wondering if there's something I can tweak to get it to work.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:34 pm

SaschaFFM wrote:I would have an extra VGA-Scart Cable that I could spare:

Thanks for the offer, but I'm not at Europe and don't have any TV or monitor with Scart input either :(

May be an Svideo or Component adapter can be useful. Somebody sell these?

telengard wrote:I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread, but I get a "resolution not supported" on my HDMI tv when loading up the core. I haven't seen that with any other cores. I thought I read somewhere a custom resolution was being used, but I can't seem to find that reference now.

The custom resolution, or more precisely, a minor variation of a standard resolution is used only at 50Hz. It is possible your monitor doesn't accept it, or might be your monitor doesn't support 50Hz at all.

By default the core follows the original refresh rate, and currently it starts at 50Hz as a consequence of the TOS version. There is a configuration switch to force to 60Hz video output. But without any video output you might not be able to apply the configuration.

Can you connect any other monitor temporarily? That would be just for the purpose of setting the configuration to 60Hz. After that configuration is saved you can reconnect your original monitor. Otherwise I will try to find a different workaround for you.

telengard
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby telengard » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:15 am

ijor wrote:
The custom resolution, or more precisely, a minor variation of a standard resolution is used only at 50Hz. It is possible your monitor doesn't accept it, or might be your monitor doesn't support 50Hz at all.

By default the core follows the original refresh rate, and currently it starts at 50Hz as a consequence of the TOS version. There is a configuration switch to force to 60Hz video output. But without any video output you might not be able to apply the configuration.

Can you connect any other monitor temporarily? That would be just for the purpose of setting the configuration to 60Hz. After that configuration is saved you can reconnect your original monitor. Otherwise I will try to find a different workaround for you.

I was able to connect to a different monitor and set the freq to 60hz. Thanks for your help! :cheers:

Not sure if this is the place to post feedback, but I was playing Plutos and the sound seemed off (some cutting out, and missing effects when shooting). I'll have to test against my ST to be sure.

Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paradroyd » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:25 am

telengard wrote:
I was able to connect to a different monitor and set the freq to 60hz. Thanks for your help! :cheers:

Not sure if this is the place to post feedback, but I was playing Plutos and the sound seemed off (some cutting out, and missing effects when shooting). I'll have to test against my ST to be sure.

You really don't even have to connect to another monitor to force it to 60hz.

Just select the core, give it plenty of time to start up, and after you get the "video out of range" or "invalid format" warning, tap F12, tap cursor down twice, then tap the space bar. Your video should stabilize immediately and you'll get a picture.
Then Cursor right once, and select "Save settings". You should have a stable picture on HDMI from that point forward.

I just did this and it worked.
- Paradroyd
@paradroyd on Twitter, @paradroyd@mastodon.sdf.org on Mastodon

SaschaFFM
Atari User
Atari User

Postby SaschaFFM » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:18 am

ijor wrote:Thanks for the offer, but I'm not at Europe and don't have any TV or monitor with Scart input either :(

May be an Svideo or Component adapter can be useful. Somebody sell these?

I guess that MiSTer does not output S-Video, therefore it would require a RGB > S-Video converter which might come at a rather high cost. But component output should work with a direct VGA > Component cable after setting the mister.ini accordingly? Never tried that out.

Might already be possible with such a cheap-o solution?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-RCA-RGB-Vide ... 2097844956

I would really love to help finding a solution for 15khz output. As I do not have the ability to do any software-engineering I would like to at least sponsor all your expenses. I would really be happy to send you the money it takes to get you hooked up to a 15khz TV. Just PM me your PayPal and tell me what it takes. Of course there are no obligations. If it works - great. If it does not work we tried at least - and you have a useless adapter more at home ;-)

I am sure with your skills you have a job to make enough money to pay all on your own - so please do not take above offer as an offence, but in a community effort everyone should contribute. And I am useless to do anything more than donating some money.

olin
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby olin » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:55 pm

SaschaFFM wrote:I would really love to help finding a solution for 15khz output.

If you are keen to experiment then try this device:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1080P-Mini-C ... 2721476567

I used one of these on my HDMI only STB and on few Android TV boxes also on Banana PI and it worked fine. There is a fair chance it will work with MiSTer as well. I can't test it myself as I don't have HDMI out on my MiSTer (I use de0ns board).

SaschaFFM
Atari User
Atari User

Postby SaschaFFM » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:22 pm

Thank you, Olin. Reason I would want to get in running via my 15khz TV is mainly to avoid any delay that might be introduced from MiSTer on HDMI (outbound) and to get the most authentic/best picture (at least in my view) via a CRT display.

The converter would not eliminate the outbound HDMI-Lag plus the composite video is the one with the worst quality. Bad colors and blurry.

olin

Postby olin » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:24 pm

SaschaFFM wrote:The converter would not eliminate the outbound HDMI-Lag plus the composite video is the one with the worst quality. Bad colors and blurry.

That's correct, the lag might even increase. Regarding the 'bad colors and blurry' I thought that's what is considered an 'authentic look' :D

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:42 am

SaschaFFM wrote:I guess that MiSTer does not output S-Video, therefore it would require a RGB > S-Video converter which might come at a rather high cost. But component output should work with a direct VGA > Component cable after setting the mister.ini accordingly? Never tried that out.
I would really love to help finding a solution for 15khz output. As I do not have the ability to do any software-engineering I would like to at least sponsor all your expenses.

Thanks for your generous offer, but there is no need. I found a similar cable on Amazon, slightly more expensive but more convenient for me than Ebay.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:35 am

I remember i've saw the core outputing S-Video directly.
So, even this type of output is possible.

SaschaFFM
Atari User
Atari User

Postby SaschaFFM » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:11 am

olin wrote:That's correct, the lag might even increase. Regarding the 'bad colors and blurry' I thought that's what is considered an 'authentic look' :D

That is so true. I remember that my first C64 was connected via some AF-Cable to the TV. That is even way below Composite. But we were happy with it.

Guess we are just spoiled. :D

tatouine
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby tatouine » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:00 pm

Hi all,

Is a build with this sound fix already released?

TIA

PS : I hope a MIST port possible soon.
520 STf |Amiga 500 (1M) |Philips CM8832 | Atari SC 1425 | Atari SC 1435
MIST | MISTER | Analogue Super Nt
DVDO Edge *2 | neoya x2vga 2 | Simple Video Scalar
XRGB-3 | XRGB-mini Framemeister |GBS-8220*2 | SLG3000 | Sync Strike |SLG Scart
HD video Converter | SCART+HDMI to HDMI+HDMI |Open Source Scan Converter (OSSC)

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:43 pm

Posted FX CAST version 0.12 here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=34554&p=355935#p355935

New on this release:

- Midi Link support (see wiki page)
- Fix no HDMI sound on some monitors (might still not work with some capture cards)

Happy New Year!

NML32
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby NML32 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:52 pm

Thank you!! :D

Return to “MiSTer”