Navigating folders in OSD

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Navigating folders in OSD

Postby NegSol » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:22 pm

Enjoying my MiSTer :D I found that folders named like the running core are treated quite differently than folders with no specific core name. While being in the folder with the specific core name (e.g. /Genesis for the Genesis core) the OSD remembers the subdir I navigated to. So, when I re-enter the “Load Rom” menu item the OSD remains in the subdir last selected ready to navigate to the next file in the list. However, in non-specific folders like “/__roms__” or something similar re-selecting the “Load Rom” item in the OSD menu always jumps back to rootdir (i.e. “/”). This is pretty annoying since one has to navigate to the last used subdir every time. I do not know if this behavior is a side effect but I sure do not see why this should be the default behavior for folder navigating. Maybe a bug? :shrug:

note: Using the latest MiSTer executable Release 20180929.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Navigating folders in OSD

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:32 pm

if it jumps to / then it's definitely a bug. It should jump to /Genesis (using your example) if previously opened folder wasn't inside the /Genesis. Are you sure it jumps to the rootdir? It may jump to the rootdir if no <corename> folder exists.

Jumping to <corename> folder is intended behavior as all files related to this core should be in this dir or in one of its subdirs. It's not limited to <corename> dir and allows you to temporary go outside to select some *probably* temporary file.

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Navigating folders in OSD

Postby NegSol » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:29 pm

Sorgelig wrote:It may jump to the rootdir if no <corename> folder exists.

Yes, that is exactly what I see. I have a bunch of cores without the proper folder named after them. I tried to tidy up the rootdir by making subdirs independent of core names. Guess I will have to switch folder names now and get a more crowded rootdir (of cause it is the dir /media/fat/ – it is the root of the the OSD though).
Still could be a thing to change as it should be possible to remember the last file used independent of if there is a core specificly named folder or not. But maybe nobody but me notices :mrgreen:

Return to “MiSTer”