MiSTer SD Card Installer - help needed

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

olin
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

MiSTer SD Card Installer - help needed

Postby olin » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:49 pm

I tried to install the latest MiSTer SD card (with the new layout) but so far I failed. I normally use Linux so at first I tried to use SD-installer_MiSTer. This no longer seems to create the full SD card (with bootloader etc.), only creates a linux partition image. I could not find any specific about how that new layout should look like (apart from it only has 2 partitions, second one possibly FAT32 and the linux image is copied into it).

Then I tried to use the Windows tool - MiSTer SD Card Utility (v 2.0.2.0). I tried it in 3 environments, none of them worked for me.
1) Under Wine: shows the main screen but all buttons and fields are grayed out, status bar says 'Update package found'.
2) Under Win XP - the same story, the dialogue pops up and all fields and buttons are disabled (usb disk with a card inserted and I could see it in the explorer as a mapped F:\ drive).
3) Win 8.1 - the program doesn't start, says in may need .NET3.5 then starts to search for it, but never finds it (tried 3 times, Internet always enabled). I tried to install .NET 4.5, but it reported such version is installed by default. So I installed .NET 4.7.5, but the SD Card Installer still doesn't start and says it needs .NET 3.5. I found an installer for .NET 3.5, but when I tried to manually install it, it failed reporting I already have a newer version of .NET installed.

Any ideas how to make it work? Or is the source code for the tool available so I can get an idea how the partitions are constructed and where the installation files are dumped? Thanks.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: MiSTer SD Card Installer - help needed

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:42 pm

olin
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Re: MiSTer SD Card Installer - help needed

Postby olin » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:06 pm

Sorgelig wrote:https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/SD-InstallTool_Win_MiSTer

Thanks for the link to the source code.

I finally managed to install .NET 3.5 on my Win 8.1 and the Card installer now works fine.
For the reference I'm posting what I did to fix my windows setup:
1) Downloaded Windows installation ISO image from Microsoft site: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/softwar ... indows8ISO
2) Burned the ISO by right clicking on the downloaded file and selecting "Burn disk image...", then eject CD and put back in.
3) Run the CMD as administrator
4) run the following command from the command line:

Code: Select all

Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFx3 /All /Source:D:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess

where D:\ is my CD ROM drive letter.
After the installation the Card installer worked as expected.

Return to “MiSTer”