Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

overclocked
Atarian
Atarian

Running MISTer on SOCkit

Postby overclocked » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:17 am

I already own a Terasic SOCkit board:
https://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?CategoryNo=167&No=816

Would it be possible to run MISTer directly on that board? It seem very similar to the other boards mentioned here.
Of not, what would be needed, a port?
I've been working with FPGA (both Xilindx and Altera) as a hobby for the last 15 years so that would be a fun project.
Anyone knows where to start? Would the extension boards work for my board too and where do I get them?

Best Regards
Magnus

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Running MISTer on SOCkit

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:06 am

This board is very similar to DE10-standard with one major difference - the FPGA RAM is DDR3 instead of SDRAM.
If you would have DE10-Standard, then i would say it's basically the same as DE10-nano with SDRAM board. So, besides the absence of HDMI, this board is pretty much the same and it only requires update of QSF file for different pins and recompilation of every core.

With SOCkit board you need to add SDRAM board. If you want to use MiSTer SDRAM board, then you will need to use HSMC extension board. Or design SDRAM board for HSMC connector directly.

Then you will need to check the SDRAM timings if they are still OK for cores.
And then you will need to update the QSF file for new pins definition.

From linux point all these boards are the same and you can use the same SD card.

alfishe
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby alfishe » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:32 pm

Sorgelig wrote:From linux point all these boards are the same and you can use the same SD card.

Didn't try with new layout but older SD image didn't run properly neither on SoCKit nor on DE10-Standard. Anyway, not worth of time to figure out why. Each board requires some sort of dances and no significant benefits out of it.

olin
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby olin » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:30 pm

The MiSTer Linux image (both old and new layout) work fine on DE0-nano-SoC without any modification (apart from using different menu core compiled specifically for de0ns). Each type of Terasic board might be slightly different, but it's worth a shot - plugging in a serial cable and checking the kernel output while booting MiSTer SD card image is quite simple and will give you answers.

overclocked
Atarian
Atarian

Postby overclocked » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:45 pm

OK thanks for the answers! I'll try that going forward. To try and boot it and see what happens.
I've already did some demos with the SOCkit baord, f.e. the Linux with Desktop that comes with it. That worked great.
And also tried out the tutorial on adding my own small perphiral (LED ON/OFF) and using that from Linux.

I'll dust off the board and try it.

Return to “MiSTer”