https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

scandy
Atarian
Atarian

Greetings from a new user, with some questions

Postby scandy » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:41 pm

Hello!
I was a (happy) Minimig user until few years ago: I sold it with the intent to buy a MIST board, but now I've discovered MISTer and I'm eager to "jump in". :D

I am not an engineer but, being a retrogaming and retrocomputing aficionado, I observe and follow the FPGA world with great interest (and respect).

Now, I understand that MISTer is an open project without focus on sales (unlike Analogue Super NT or Polymega) but before making any purchase I'd like to know which cores are actually "mature" to the point of offering an experience faithful "enough" to the original hardware.
I remember that at the time of the Minimig the Amiga core (at least for the OCS / ECS part) was already quite advanced, while I understand that the Genesis core, despite rapid advances, still shows visible graphic and/or sound inaccuracies.

I understand that it's rather "relative" and obviously I do not ask for objective evaluations, but I would like to hear from those who already use MISTer at what point of fidelity and usability are the other cores (NES, 486 etc.).

Thank you very much!

mattsoft
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: Greetings from a new user, with some questions

Postby mattsoft » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:03 am

Hi scandy - This is my opinion only, but the MiSTer cores vary in terms compatibility and development. I mainly use MiSTer for the Amiga (Minimig) core and it is pretty fantastic. For perspective, I have never used a MIST but instead was running UAE on Pi (I also have several real Amigas). Minimig on MiSTer has become my daily driver for Amiga. It's quite good.

Other stuff I've tried is really hit and miss. I've dabbled with the C64 and Atari800 cores and they are OK, but have limitations (like no dual SIDs or POKEYs) and compatibility issues. I will probably stick with the real things for these computers just because of compatiblity.

Not sure how good the console cores are, but they don't seem very active. I think if you're looking for a turnkey FPGA for a SNES or something, I'd probably either stick with the real thing, dedicated devices like the Analogue NT thing, or software emulation.

Good luck!

scandy
Atarian
Atarian

Postby scandy » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:08 am

Hi mattsoft and thank you very much for your feedback. :cheers:

My primary focus would be on Amiga OCS/ECS and MS-DOS (early '90s), everything else would be a "plus".
What about ao486core? I'd like also to hear comments about NES and Donkey Kong cores.

I've got yet a Raspberry Pi 3, but I'd like to understand if MISTer could be a superior alternative to the various UAE, SCUMMVM etc.

Thank you!

PhantombrainM
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby PhantombrainM » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:23 pm

NES runs pretty well. I've got a real Amiga 600 and feel no difference to the real one.
486 is a little bit slow. Doom runs barely (stuttering) older games like commander keen, leisure suit larry etc. are working fine.

The main difference is that there is no input lag. It plays and behaves like the real thing. Softwareemulation ist not able to do that.
Try Pinball Games on Amiga with software emulators and you will notice the difference. Try Super Mario Bros (or Donkey Kong;) ) and it's feeling like....i jumped!! Why did I felt into the ground? .....(because of the latency...lol).
Two beer or not two beer? - Shakesbeer.

scandy
Atarian
Atarian

Postby scandy » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:26 pm

OK thank you very much!

Another question: do I need to buy different SDRAM daughterboards for Amiga, 486, NES ad Arcade cores?

Thanks

mattsoft
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby mattsoft » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:36 pm

PhantombrainM wrote:NES runs pretty well. I've got a real Amiga 600 and feel no difference to the real one.
486 is a little bit slow. Doom runs barely (stuttering) older games like commander keen, leisure suit larry etc. are working fine.

The main difference is that there is no input lag. It plays and behaves like the real thing. Softwareemulation ist not able to do that.
Try Pinball Games on Amiga with software emulators and you will notice the difference. Try Super Mario Bros (or Donkey Kong;) ) and it's feeling like....i jumped!! Why did I felt into the ground? .....(because of the latency...lol).

Maybe its less lag, I dunno, but you're right, FPGA does "feel" more accurate than software emulation. I'm not putting software emulation down by any means, I love Lakka on my Pi, but the MiSTer running the minimig core definitely feels very close to a real Amiga compared to UAE. It is just amazing.

As for the ao486 core, I've tried it, and it's slow and not super compatible -- at least for the games I've tried. Plus there appears to be no joystick "emulation" so you have to play those old games using the keyboard. :)

mattsoft
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby mattsoft » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:47 pm

scandy wrote:OK thank you very much!

Another question: do I need to buy different SDRAM daughterboards for Amiga, 486, NES ad Arcade cores?

Thanks

Yes, the SDRAM board is essential.

PhantombrainM
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby PhantombrainM » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:31 pm

486 may work without. Haven't tested it.

Here is a list: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... t-by-cores

I don't know if it's up to date. Some cores work without SDRAM Board. I remember from the early days without ;)
Most need it.
Two beer or not two beer? - Shakesbeer.

hubersn
Atari User
Atari User

Postby hubersn » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:08 am

scandy wrote:Another question: do I need to buy different SDRAM daughterboards for Amiga, 486, NES ad Arcade cores?

You only need one SDRAM board. There are even cores where no SDRAM is needed at all.

Have fun
hubersn

Return to “MiSTer”