Genesis Core

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

PhantombrainM
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Genesis Core

Postby PhantombrainM » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:52 pm

This is a new topic for Genesis Core because I haven't seen one.

@Sorgelig: Can you please implement a language selection or can you please hardcode the region from Japanese to ENG (englisch)?

My Favorite Game Quackshot for example and some others are completly in Japanese and I can't read it.

I found out, that the Region can be set by hidden jumpers on the Mainbord.
Please see here for details (5th picture or so):

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread ... derblaze16)

As you can see, you can toogle JAP, ENG, NTSC or Pal. Since JAP and USA are the same 60hz it should be no problem to change the language?
Am I right? And since it's an FPGA implementation these jumpers are also present in the FPGA implementation, don't they? (FPGA = 1:1 Hardware?)

kind regards,
PhantombrainM
Two beer or not two beer? - Shakesbeer.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Genesis Core

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:50 pm

PhantombrainM wrote:And since it's an FPGA implementation these jumpers are also present in the FPGA implementation, don't they? (FPGA = 1:1 Hardware?)

Not always correct. It's up to developer how precise it will be implemented.
In most cases implementation is based on technical docs and known facts. Usually it's not enough to re-create a 100% replica. Official docs cover not more than 20% of what is required for re-implementation. Or even less.

PhantombrainM wrote:As you can see, you can toogle JAP, ENG, NTSC or Pal. Since JAP and USA are the same 60hz it should be no problem to change the language?
Am I right?

i can see in your pics, but i can't see it implemented in the core.
As i've mentioned above, docs don't cover all things required for implementation. There is no mention what address of port used fot these jumpers.
I'm not familiar with Sega HW.

PhantombrainM
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby PhantombrainM » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:56 pm

Hey, Sorgelig. Please listen at Cool Spot Intro. (EU)
Sound isn't fast enough.

Maybe missing sound is a timing problem?

Also Mickey Mouse (Castle of Illusion) has only one note the whole time.

Just for your reference.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:35 pm

Some games have missed music. The source of problem is unknown currently.

GreyRogue
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby GreyRogue » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:36 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
PhantombrainM wrote:And since it's an FPGA implementation these jumpers are also present in the FPGA implementation, don't they? (FPGA = 1:1 Hardware?)

Not always correct. It's up to developer how precise it will be implemented.
In most cases implementation is based on technical docs and known facts. Usually it's not enough to re-create a 100% replica. Official docs cover not more than 20% of what is required for re-implementation. Or even less.

PhantombrainM wrote:As you can see, you can toogle JAP, ENG, NTSC or Pal. Since JAP and USA are the same 60hz it should be no problem to change the language?
Am I right?

i can see in your pics, but i can't see it implemented in the core.
As i've mentioned above, docs don't cover all things required for implementation. There is no mention what address of port used fot these jumpers.
I'm not familiar with Sega HW.

According to [url]md.squee.co/315-5309[/url], it looks like the version register controls it. I think the PAL and EXPORT lines are already in place in gen_io.vhd. They likely just need to be hooked up.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:38 pm

GreyRogue wrote:According to [url]md.squee.co/315-5309[/url], it looks like the version register controls it. I think the PAL and EXPORT lines are already in place in gen_io.vhd. They likely just need to be hooked up.

it's already old info as PAL/NTSC and JP/US/EU regions are already implemented in latest release.

If you are kind of tired from TGFX, then join this banquet :)

GreyRogue
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby GreyRogue » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:05 pm

Sorgelig wrote:it's already old info as PAL/NTSC and JP/US/EU regions are already implemented in latest release.

Whoops. Missed the date on those posts.

Is Genesis where the cool kids are at now? Seems like I'm always at the uncool table...

mattsoft
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby mattsoft » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:49 pm

GreyRogue wrote:
Sorgelig wrote:it's already old info as PAL/NTSC and JP/US/EU regions are already implemented in latest release.

Whoops. Missed the date on those posts.

Is Genesis where the cool kids are at now? Seems like I'm always at the uncool table...

The SMS, Atari800, and NES cores could use some love. Any cool kids at those tables? ;)

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:26 am

mattsoft wrote:The SMS, Atari800, and NES cores could use some love. Any cool kids at those tables? ;)

The NES core is pretty solid, have you seen recent developmemts on save ram support?

And I'm no expert but I beliebe the 5200/800 core is pretty much perfect in terms of game compatibility (it is developed by foft, you can find him in AtariAge).

SMS maybe can be made as part of the Genesis core.

PhantombrainM
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby PhantombrainM » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:04 am

But in cool spot is sound. There is just too much gap between the loops in the title screen so I thought the info might help to compare and fix something. Seems a timing problem.

GreyRogue
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby GreyRogue » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:33 am

mattsoft wrote:The SMS, Atari800, and NES cores could use some love. Any cool kids at those tables? ;)

Just messed around with the SMS core a little. It looks to me like the SDRAM isn't quite being lined up correctly. The data sometimes shows up too late for where the cpu needs it. I swapped out the SDRAM with 256K of BRAM and it seems to run much better. I assume the SDRAM could be fixed so larger games could be used, but I haven't dug into timing of the SDRAM. Looking at the some of the other cores, it looks like the use a clk reference to keep it lined up.

mattsoft
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby mattsoft » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:01 am

Newsdee wrote:

The NES core is pretty solid, have you seen recent developmemts on save ram support?

And I'm no expert but I beliebe the 5200/800 core is pretty much perfect in terms of game compatibility (it is developed by foft, you can find him in AtariAge).

SMS maybe can be made as part of the Genesis core.

Not to be a complainer, but not even the classic Alleycat from Synapse works on the Atari800 core.

DrOG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby DrOG » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:12 am

Alley Cat works nice on my MiST (Atari 800 PAL-RGB core version, screenshot taken from my TV's framebuffer, RGB->YUV conversion done by my homemade adapter).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hyperterminal
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby hyperterminal » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:38 am

After further testing I found out that the Genesis core for MiSTer needs further improvements in the sound department.

The Bad Apple demo (8 MB version) has no sound and in OutRunners the voices and car sounds are missing. I believe these were working in older versions of the core. On MiST, OutRunners is working with sound (but has other serious problems like crashing in the middle of the game).

mattsoft
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby mattsoft » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:45 am

DrOG wrote:Alley Cat works nice on my MiST (Atari 800 PAL-RGB core version, screenshot taken from my TV's framebuffer, RGB->YUV conversion done by my homemade adapter).

This made me try Alley Cat again on MiSTer.

Didn't work. Then it clicked, maybe I need the 400/800 OS ROM instead of XL.

Used the ATARIOSA.ROM instead and it works. Hurray!

Now if I could just get the Numen demo to work. :)

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:59 am

hyperterminal wrote:The Bad Apple demo (8 MB version) has no sound

no problem with music

hyperterminal wrote:OutRunners the voices and car sounds are missing.

also no problem. Both voices and car sounds are present.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:25 am

mattsoft wrote:This made me try Alley Cat again on MiSTer.
Didn't work. Then it clicked, maybe I need the 400/800 OS ROM instead of XL.
Used the ATARIOSA.ROM instead and it works. Hurray!
Now if I could just get the Numen demo to work. :)

Numen demo works on MiSTer since the beginning.
Some computers were complex in usage by them self. Not all computers allow to quickly jump and start to use. It has nothing to do with the core or bugs. You just need to study the computer more.
As i see you even don't know that keeping Option button while reset disables the XL basic (for non-XL games), so you are trying switch the ROMs instead. It doesn't make Atari 800 buggy. It just means you don' know the Atari 800 computer.
For further Atari800 discussion. please move to respective thread.

hyperterminal
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby hyperterminal » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:48 am

Yes, Sorgelig, you're right. I don't know what was causing my problems but after testing again the sound is working as it should.

While testing I noticed a scratching sound in the Bad Apple demo similar to a grasshopper and the game Turbo Outrun makes a disturbing noise.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:43 am

hyperterminal wrote:While testing I noticed a scratching sound in the Bad Apple demo similar to a grasshopper and the game Turbo Outrun makes a disturbing noise.

i don't understand. Some side sound happened time after time or it's constant background noise, or what?

hyperterminal
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby hyperterminal » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:00 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
hyperterminal wrote:While testing I noticed a scratching sound in the Bad Apple demo similar to a grasshopper and the game Turbo Outrun makes a disturbing noise.

i don't understand. Some side sound happened time after time or it's constant background noise, or what?

Bad Apple demo: some side sound occurs (always at the same places in the demo)
Turbo Outrun: constant background noise during a race

cacophony
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby cacophony » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:03 pm

Speaking of missing music, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is completely silent :D

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:10 am

hyperterminal wrote:Bad Apple demo: some side sound occurs (always at the same places in the demo)
Turbo Outrun: constant background noise during a race

Do you use analog audio output or HDMI audio?

hyperterminal
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby hyperterminal » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:29 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Do you use analog audio output or HDMI audio?

I'm using analog audio output.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:18 pm

analog audio may get interference from other components. Also DAC used on I/O board is primitive. So you may hear some side signals like on old computers where you could hear how HDD is working through speakers ;)

cacophony
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby cacophony » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:33 am

Here's an interesting bug that I'll mention because the game looks pretty fun and I want to play it more :D

In Aladin, you can move left/right but there's no walking animation. Also possibly related, if you hold right the screen doesn't start to scroll until you get to the edge. Other than those things the game seems to run fine.

Return to “MiSTer”