Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

BBond007
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

MiSTer Amiga CD32

Postby BBond007 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:21 pm

Hello

This is my MiSTer CD32.

No (additional) alterations were made to the CD32 and it could be restored to a barley working NTSC CD32 at any time.

When I purchased got the CD32 I modded the case to add a 50/60hz switch, but no other modifications beyond that. I do regret doing that because now I'm not even using the switch :)

The CD32 was NOS and never really worked that well which is why it spent most of the time in its original box stashed away in my closet.

Even if it did work 100% reliable, hooking a NTSC CD32 to most NTSC TV is problematic because most software only runs correctly in PAL mode. When switched to 50hz mode video usually turns monochrome.

I implemented the audio circuit from the IO board schematic breadboard and through-hole components. Also on that breadboard is some 817 optocouplers which drive the CD32's activity and power LEDs.

In the CD bay is the secondary SD card. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep this as it no longer seems necessary.

The back expansion cover was 3D printed by my friend. He also printed an insert to make to make the toggle switch I used for power look like a rocker switch. We probably will try to do a modified version of the back expansion cover in the future. I don't know anything about about 3D printing. I'm more about files, drills, grinders, saws, etc.

I'm I plan to tweak the layout inside for more direct fan and clean up some of the wiring.

I also want to add some sort of little audio amplifier to drive the CD32's headphone jack. I tried driving it directly from the analog audio circuit but the output was such (using AKG k7xx headphones) that the volume maxed out was just adequate.

Very much thanks goes to Sorgelig!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: MiSTer Amiga CD32

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:16 am

Not sure if CD32 case is suitable.
A1200/A600 cases include the keyboard and can act as a complete system.
CD32 needs keyboard making the whole construction too bulky.
May be it's worth to restore the CD32 with fixes for PAL. AFAIK it's possible to add (if not already there) RGB connection for CD32, so you only need to switch it to 50Hz which you already did. So, with RGB you will get the color in PAL mode.

BBond007

Postby BBond007 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:00 am

Sorgelig wrote:Not sure if CD32 case is suitable.
A1200/A600 cases include the keyboard and can act as a complete system.
CD32 needs keyboard making the whole construction too bulky.
May be it's worth to restore the CD32 with fixes for PAL. AFAIK it's possible to add (if not already there) RGB connection for CD32, so you only need to switch it to 50Hz which you already did. So, with RGB you will get the color in PAL mode.

It's suitable for my living room in my entertainment console next to the other consoles :) I've only taken it to a retro gaming event once. For that I also has a monitor, speakers, cables and other stuff, so small keyboard in addition to that other junk was no big deal. I think if I wanted a more mobile MiSTer then I'd just get a second one.

CD32 RGB mod is not all that simple. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CosmnuWvQ0Y

My TV does not have RGB input anyway, so I'd still need a converter.

I'm the biggest Commodore fan, but In my opinion the CD32 was a terrible failure of a console. The only thing it had going for it was that it could be expanded into an A1200 and that is why I bought it.

MiSTer is pretty much the equivalent of my "dream" CD32 with Indivsion AGA Flicker-Fixer, DEC SX32 Pro 68030/50 MHz, compact flash drive, etc.

The DEC SX32 Pro is pretty much unobtainable. There is a the new Terrible Fire 328 but that's just RAM sand IDE (no CPU acclerator)

Even if I could afford and was able to acquire those items, I'd still want to figure out a way to get a wireless controllers, mouse and KB.
Last edited by BBond007 on Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:17 am, edited 6 times in total.

BBond007

Postby BBond007 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:10 am

oops, this can be deleted

mattsoft
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby mattsoft » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:27 am

BBond007 wrote:MiSTer is pretty much the equivalent of my "dream" CD32 with Indivsion AGA Flicker-Fixer, DEC SX32 Pro 68030/50 MHz, compact flash drive, etc.

The DEC SX32 Pro is pretty much unobtainable. There is a the new Terrible Fire 328 but that's just RAM sand IDE (no CPU acclerator)

Even if I could afford and was able to acquire those items, I'd still want to figure out a way to get a wireless controllers, mouse and KB.

Hey, if it works for you, that's what counts! :cheers:

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:39 am

I agree that CD32 fell off the main interest of Amiga community. Mainly because A1200 can be easily upgraded to CD32 features. Even without CD A1200 can play CD32 games through WHDLoad.
I still have A1200 and A600 :)

BBond007

Postby BBond007 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:58 pm

Sorgelig wrote:I still have A1200 and A600 :)

Nice, I always wanted a 600 :)

I still have my A1200 Blizzard 1260 and the original Minimig 1.1 with 4MB and ARM controller.

Return to “MiSTer”