https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

retox
Atarian
Atarian

Atari 800 Core - Joystick problem with one game

Postby retox » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:29 pm

Hi everybody,

the main reason i bought the MISTer System was that I wanted to play M.U.L.E by Dan Bunten as close as possible to the original hardware. I have a very strange problem which I guess has something to do with the joystick setup of the Atari 800 Core.

After making the pre-game options choices (difficulty and number of players) you press F6 (START) in order to start the game. Then you press the joystick button (one stick) and after that you can choose your color (push the joy button) and then you choose the species your playing with (joystick directions).

Starting the game on the MISTer and pushing F6 (START) I directly end up on the species choice screen and nothing happens anymore, the game is stuck! It seems that the joystick button is constantly pressed and I end up stuck in the species choice screen were I am not able to commence. I tried different joysticks and even disconnected the joystick - no way ... By the way: All other games I tried work fine with the joystick, no autofire on.

I know that this is a very individualistic problem, but please remember that this is the main reason why I bought this thing. I use the same ATR File on Retropie and everything is O.K., but I want to play it on the MiSTer system.

Any M.U.L.E fanatics out there? ;-)

Help would be really appreciated ... thanxalot ... retox

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Atari 800 Core - Joystick problem with one game

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:38 am

At first: you treat a free ware project wrong. I'm the main developer of MiSTer and you paid me nothing. So your motivation toward me "i've bought because of.." doesn't work at all.
It's just a hobby - i'm doing it for fun and share. You are free to use it or not - it doesn't change the things at all.

As for game. It works fine to me. I can select both color and character and the start the game, although i have no idea ho to play it. Something happens and game reacts to my gamepad.
First time i've tried it, it also stuck on character choice. But after restarting the game it started to work normal.

Cebion
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Cebion » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:47 am

I'll also test later

retox
Atarian
Atarian

Postby retox » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:28 am

@sorgelig:

1.I just told my story why I bought the board in the the first place and the I have a problem I wanted to share with the community and I tried to fix it by myself for quite some time.

2. This was no accusation and I think that you misunderstood me completely. I imagine being a developer or founder of such a project you have to deal with a kinds of posts and people and sometimes you sure feel pressurized by "problems" which are addressed to you. I am very greatful for this project and believe me, before I post something like this I am at the end of ideas.I tried to support as much information as possible to show that I did my "homework". I am aware of the fact that this project is "work in progress" so, again no offense and thank you for answering.

3. I will try another version of this game, but like I said restarting and rebooting and reinatializing the joystick(s, I tried several) didn't change it for me. What I really wanted to try is using keyboard emulation as joystick, but to be honest I do not really understand the way how to use it, through the core menue (scroll lock etc.) nor how to switch between, joystick, paddle and autofire mode. Is it possible to leave out the paddle part during joystick initialization? Because when I tried to skip it with space (paddle one) the space stroke serves as a keystroke for function paddle one, doesn't it?

4. Maybe we can swap files to see whether you come behind player choice with my version, too?

Sorgelig, thanxalot for your great work ...

retox

@cebion ... thank you!

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:15 am

Space skips key definition only for joystick. On keyboard you have to define all buttons.

Cebion
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Cebion » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:25 pm

Interesting, I can't get it to work at all.
Just get a blue bar at the top.

What settings are you guys using?
Normally load rom with f12 and softreset with f11 to load rom right?
Maybe we got different dumps.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:54 pm

This game requires first BIOS version. Or you can skip Basic loading by holding Option(F8) key while resetting.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:56 pm

The original developer of this core, foft, sometimes follows this subforum and probably will reply, eventually. But he is much more active in Atariage. Not sure he has a MiSTer though.

The core is extremely accurate, and MULE, arguably the most popular Atari 8-bit game, surely has been played and tested extensively at least in the original platform(s). I personally didn't test it on the MiSTer.

A shoot in the dark: This game supports both joystick (up to four!) and paddles and is supposed to detect them automatically. May be there is a problem in the controller emulation that probably depends on the platform. But again, just an idea.

retox
Atarian
Atarian

Postby retox » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:40 pm

Hi all,

I finally found the solution - but it's a kind of workaround:

For a ONE player game press

F7 (Select) for 1 Planeteer
F8 (Option) for the Game Level

and BEFORE pressing F6 (START)

HOLD DOWN the Fire Button and press F6 (START) and DIRECTLY release the Fire Button (before, for a very short time you see STICK, for player ONE on the LEFT side) and THEN you can choose a color from the cycling color menu and afterwards you can choose your species.

Otherwise by just pressing F6 (START) (this was the reason why I started this post) STICK automatically appears on the RIGHT side, but this only should happen WHEN you press the Fire Button and then you are stuck (although the game does not crash or stop, waiting for several minutes the game takes you back to the the start screen).

So there definitely something is wrong. Why is a Fire Button key PRESSED automatically (from a ghostly joystick that is not connected to the board) after hitting F6 (START)?

Maybe someone can answer this question. Right now I'm happy playing M.U.L.E on my MISTer rig ...

Have a nice weekend ...

retox

P.S.: Can somebody tell me how to start a game with MISTer which requires BASIC? Thanxalot

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:15 pm

probably it interfering with buttons you defined for joystick.

retox wrote:P.S.: Can somebody tell me how to start a game with MISTer which requires BASIC?

Question is unclear. If you use XL BIOS, then Basic will be started on power/reset.

Cebion
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Cebion » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:17 am

Sorgelig thanks for the bios tip.
My f8 key was not mapped right so that's why it didn't work.

I tried two versions of M.U.L.E but both work without problems.
I choose one player and normally start the game.

@retox What kind of controller are you using?
I imagine if you use something like an xbox 360 controller you will have huge problems.
I'm testing with a 8bitdo SN-30 Pro

retox
Atarian
Atarian

Postby retox » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:06 am

Hi Cebion,

it's a SNES USB clone cable-attached and a Competition Pro USB, dito. Is this 8bitdo SN-30 Pro a wireless bluetooth controller? I heard bluetooth based controllers tend to lag a bit. Can you recommend this joystick?

@sorgelig: What do you mean with "interfering"? I define the joystick with the appropriate directions (right, left, up and down), the paddles (left and right shoulder buttons for Paddle 1 and 2), the fire button, OSD (Start) and menus (SELECT). I did this over and over I think there is nothing wrong to do?! After the Game Setup workaround everything works fine ... strange.

Thank you both for answering ...

retox

Return to “MiSTer”