Internet and Linux Shell for Amiga and ao486

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

BBond007
Atari User
Atari User

Re: Internet and Linux Shell for Amiga and ao486

Postby BBond007 » Sat May 12, 2018 2:51 am

Sorgelig wrote:If there is other higher speed and relatively easy in hardware device for Amiga providing internet connection then i can try to implement.

The serial PPP connection is very good. It matches well with the technology we used in the 90s with both the Amiga and 486 machines.

Probably beyond that would be the NE2000 network board which is very well supported both Amiga and DOS platforms. I doubt its relatively easy though...

:cheers:

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Sat May 12, 2018 9:30 am

BBond007 wrote:
Sorgelig wrote:Probably beyond that would be the NE2000 network board which is very well supported both Amiga and DOS platforms. I doubt its relatively easy though...

The most obvious would perhaps be to mimic the PCMCIA slot of the A600 and A1200, with an NE2000 card yes. I'm not sure where on the chipset the PCMCIA slot is implemented, but with A600 and A1200 also both having IDE, and both IDE and PCMCIA being "ISA bus", I am guessing .... Gayle?

Other slightly obvious alternative (which I believe Chaos briefly started on for MiST), is a zorro2 ethernet card that was supposed to be used with e D-Link DUB-E100 USB dongle - on the MiSTer I would prefer to go via Linux (and hence also wifi) rather than needing a usb ethernet dongle though :)

Third option, mimic the A1200 clock-port, for which there are/were several high speed serial port interfaces, such as the Silver Surfer etc. There are also clock-ports for other Amiga systems, on various Zorro cards and A600 extension cards. Depending on where the clock-port is implemented, the drivers may need adjusting for the different address space on the various implementations.

Fourth and perhaps best option, is to not emulate any particular existing hardware, but instead make a direct connection to a dedicated device on the Linux side, and just focus on keeping it simple and fast, and then find someone who can write a sana2 driver for Amiga. With all the SPI ethernet device drivers popping up these days, I don't think it would be so hard :)

I suppose option 3 and 4 above are essentially the same - a relevant thread for info... http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=91820
Instead of having a sana2 driver that speaks with ENC28J60, have a sana2 driver that speaks with the device node on the Linux side.

Oh, then there is the parallel port, in which people these days often use a Plipbox (http://lallafa.de/blog/amiga-projects/plipbox/) and then I can just as well mention Amiga-Link, which was a networking device that plugged into the floppy drive port (http://www.bigbookofamigahardware.com/b ... px?id=1798), I have a couple of those :)
-- kolla

BBond007
Atari User
Atari User

Postby BBond007 » Thu May 24, 2018 3:14 am

Is there any way to make the serial connection support lower BPS rates including 31250?

I am contemplating trying writing a console program to make an external MIDI and external USB serial work.

The only real reason would be to connect a real Amiga 1200 to MiSTer CD32 via USB serial to play Lotus turbo challenge or Populous head to head.

Also I was thinking I could compile http://michaelminn.com/linux/mmusbaudio to get MIDI applications working. I have the UM-1 and some older Roland MIDI modules including MT32 which is supported in Sierra games.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Thu May 24, 2018 9:14 am

For purposes you described current serial connection cannot be used. It's bound to internal hardware serial port which goes to ARM side and has no external pins.
You need a special version of Minimig which will output serial connection to GPIO and thus will allow to connect different kind of external devices.
I'm thinking about reserving some free GPIO pins for serial connection, so compatible cores will be able to use dedicated pins for different serial buses (not exactly RS232).

uigiflip
Atariator
Atariator

Postby uigiflip » Sat May 26, 2018 8:37 pm

anybody had any luck setting up ppp on roadshow?
Vampire 500 V2+, Mister, FPGA Replay + 68060 Daughterboard

diwou
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby diwou » Sat May 26, 2018 8:47 pm

uigiflip wrote:anybody had any luck setting up ppp on roadshow?

No, unfortunately not. I always get the message that the PPP interface is offline. Several times already installed AmiTCP 4.3 on a fresh system.

BBond007
Atari User
Atari User

Postby BBond007 » Sat May 26, 2018 11:31 pm

uigiflip wrote:anybody had any luck setting up ppp on roadshow?

Yes, works fine....

viewtopic.php?f=117&t=33507#p343255

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Wed May 30, 2018 8:17 pm

For me, Roadshow worked right away, with the installation I already had from the MiST where the disk image came from. I only changed baud rate for the "dial script" from 57600 (on the MiST) to 115200 on the MiSTer, and enabled RTS/CTS.
-- kolla

Return to “MiSTer”