Mister... no USB devices are recognized...

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

JohnnotveryDoe
Atarian
Atarian

Mister... no USB devices are recognized...

Postby JohnnotveryDoe » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:01 pm

HI everybody !

I've been reading this forums for a long time and I decided to buy a Mister board.
I received it, with my sd ram module, but sadly.. my USB devices can't by recognize by the Mister !
I have a USB-OTG adapter cable + USB HUB (with it's own power supply...) + a wired Keyboard + a wired mouse.

i can boot the "official" SD card (with the Mister bundle...), I have nice image of a board and... Everything is stopped with a question about the UI : I need to click in a windows... and I can't at all .
I can see during the fast linux boot an error message (something like" can't detect USB device...").
I tried :
- a new USB-OTG adapter cable = no go !
- a new USB-OTG adapter cable hub (with NO external power) = the kind of Chinese's adaptor you can find very cheap on Ebay = no go !
- a new USB HUB (with it's own power supply...) = no go !
- with a keyboard only = no go !

I'm thinking about a faulty Mister Board... Sounds pretty bad since I bought this board in USA and I'm living in Europe... :cry:
The board is brand new and the micro USB port is to be in good shape...

So here goes my silly question : How do you connect you USB devices (Keyboard, mouse and joystick) ?
if someone has any idea of a solution, please add your reply to this post...!
Thanks !

UPDATE : still nothing but I will give more details : Some LEDs are blinking on my board... I guess it's a sort of error message ... i can' really find any answer on the Manual...

So here is my problem :

-The far left side led (blue) on the board is “solid” (on..) (LED 9)
-The LED 10 (CONF_DONE) is “solid” (on..) red .. well it looks like it's red..

-now the most trick part … If you check the group of 8 LEDS on the far right of the board.
I’m talking here about the group of LEDS under the Gigabit Ethernet port.
I will name the LEDS from 1 to 8 starting 1 from the far left … so it’s 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
LED 4 is solid,
LED 6 and 8 are blinking alternatively
all the oter LEDS are off.

I can’t do anything with the board….
I reformat and re install with all the tips for beginners my SD card. I tried to use other SD card.. no go… I thinking that my Mister board is broken…

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Mister... no USB devices are recognized...

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:31 am

The official Linux bundled with DE10-nano also doesn't recognize any USB device?

LEDs signaling is correct for MiSTer menu core.

microUSB socket used on de10-nano is piece of poo. Try gently push microUSB connector a little further and keep it perpendicular.

JohnnotveryDoe
Atarian
Atarian

Postby JohnnotveryDoe » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:40 pm

Hi Sorgeling ! :D

Well i try your tip... it works ... one time on 17 tests ! :cry:
Do I have another way to link USB device on this system ? If not, well....

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:41 pm

unfortunately, there is only one way to connect USB devices.

Check with magnifying glass if contacts in microUSB socket are intact. Maybe some of them are damaged.
Try different microUSB OTG cables to find the best fitted.
Actually i don't have such serious problem as you. Usually it works except may be some rush times when it not well inserted.

Locutus73
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Locutus73 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:49 pm

I’m having the same difficulties with the OTG adapter on the left of this picture
What gives me hope is the fact that my DE10-Nano correctly detects and can mount the OTC USB drive on the right. Tomorrow I’ll receive a new simple USB OTG cable and a normal powered hub; I’ll report back.

Anyway, on page 6 of the Getting_Started_Guide.pdf it is stated that the USB OTG device must be plugged after Xfce system is up and running; otherwise the DE10-Nano is in USB Gadget mode and the USB device will not be detected.

Locutus73

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:27 pm

I had similar problems using the very OTG adaptor Locutus73 showed. The adapter was faulty or out of specs (cheap China ware). When I used another one of the same type of adaptor that one actually worked without any problem since. So it could be the Nano is very picky. Maybe try different OTG adaptors (even of the same type). Best of luck :D

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:54 pm

I have 2 such OTG hubs as on picture above.
But they are completely different inside. One is using discrete TSOP chip with discrete XTAL - this version works well. Switch is working. Another one uses epoxy covered die on PCB without XTAL - the switch does nothing and has all contacts grounded (could save $0.1 by simply removing it). This HUB works very bad - in most cases devices aren't recognized.
Outside they are completely identical and you cannot distinguish them.

Locutus73

Postby Locutus73 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:06 pm

Sorgelig wrote:I have 2 such OTG hubs as on picture above.
But they are completely different inside. One is using discrete TSOP chip with discrete XTAL - this version works well. Switch is working. Another one uses epoxy covered die on PCB without XTAL - the switch does nothing and has all contacts grounded (could save $0.1 by simply removing it). This HUB works very bad - in most cases devices aren't recognized.
Outside they are completely identical and you cannot distinguish them.

Just out of curiosity: is there any possibility I damaged the USB port/chip of my DE10-Nano? During various plug in, plug out tests, once I saw my Logitech USB dongle listed with lsusb (just listed, not working) and once DE10-Nano spontaneously rebooted. I know you don’t have a crystal ball, but any guess?

Locutus73

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:46 pm

You've said it recognises the OTG storage, so USB works.

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:50 pm

Recently i've updated USB driver but didn't release it yet.

you can try a new driver by replacing the zImage_dtb: https://mega.nz/#!NR4wmSxK!ToIG12nzNGlA ... bSWTjjzg3c

Locutus73

Postby Locutus73 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:08 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Recently i've updated USB driver but didn't release it yet.

you can try a new driver by replacing the zImage_dtb: https://mega.nz/#!NR4wmSxK!ToIG12nzNGlA ... bSWTjjzg3c

Unfortunately I left the OTG thingy at work.
I have to say that I performed all tests with various Terasic’s Linuxes (meanwhile extracting config.gz). I never tested the OTG with MiSTer.

Locutus73

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:12 pm

new USB host driver is much better - try it.

Locutus73

Postby Locutus73 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:32 pm

Sorgelig wrote:new USB host driver is much better - try it.

Ok, tomorrow I’ll take back home the pictured OTG and a new OTG cable+powered hub.
I’ll try both the new cable with Tersasic’s Linux and the old OTG thingy with your kernel.

Locutus73

Locutus73

Postby Locutus73 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:32 pm

Locutus73 wrote:Ok, tomorrow I’ll take back home the pictured OTG and a new OTG cable+powered hub.
I’ll try both the new cable with Tersasic’s Linux and the old OTG thingy with your kernel.

I’m glad to report that the new USB OTG cable (a simple 1 to 1 cable) works perfectly both with MiSTer and Terasic’s Linuxes. The old spider USB OTG thingy doesn’t work even with the new Sorgelig’s Kernel… it just doesn’t work, no matter what I try. So far so good… now the bad news: no video output... viewtopic.php?f=117&t=32479&p=339927#p339927

[EDIT]
The other bad new is that, thanks to cr**py Italian postal services, I don't know when (and if) I'll get my SDRAM board.

Locutus73

error1
Atarian
Atarian

Postby error1 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:47 pm

Do you think there's any hope of adding USB bluetooth dongle support to the linux image at some point, or is the linux bt stack too big?
It would reduce the need for experimenting with USB hubs if you could use a bluetooth keyboard, mouse and gamepad through a single bt dongle and it would be really cool if we could use wireless 8bitdo or ds4 gamepads.
Initial setup and pairing would have to be done through ssh or serial console I guess.

Locutus73

Postby Locutus73 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:15 pm

error1 wrote:and it would be really cool if we could use wireless 8bitdo or ds4 gamepads.

Just for your info, all 8bitdo Bluetooth retro receivers (NES, SNES, Classic) have a Micro USB port with a dual use. You can use it to update the firmware, but you can also use it to connect through an USB cable to a PC as an X-Input joypad and to a PS3 as a wired joypad. This way the receiver can be paired to any 8bitdo Bluetooth controller, to a Dual Shock 3, to a Dual Shock 4, to a Wii Remote, to a WiiU Pro controller, to a Switch Pro Controller or to a Switch Joycon and act as a wired controller for PC and PS3; I think, but I'm not sure, they support Wii accessories connected to Wii remotes, thus allowing the use of NES Classic and SNES Classic wired controllers. Pretty cool. They also have a new Wireless USB Adapter (only USB, no retro console plug) that can act as a wired Switch controller, X-Input or DInput controller and Mac controller and can wirelessly connect to all previously mentioned controllers supporting vibration and motion controls with specific combinations. Mayflash makes nice adapters too. I use their DualShock 3 adapters which act as X-Input or DInput joypads, supporting analog triggers and vibration in X-Input mode. I use a Mayflash Bluetooth USB Wii SensorBar too which pairs to WiiRemotes, acts as a sensor bar and is seen by PC as a combination of joypad, mouse and keyboard; it can be used with Dolphin Emulator as a pass-through in order to make the WiiRemotes “talk” directly with the emulated Wii.
All these adapters don’t eliminate the need of an USB HUB, but, on the other side, remove any Bluetooth stack installation/pairing woe.
I didn’t try all these adapters on DE10-Nano yet, but I don’t see any reason they shouldn’t work.

Locutus73
Last edited by Locutus73 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Locutus73

Postby Locutus73 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:39 pm

DELETED

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:22 pm

I prefer an easy way. There are self-contained wireless keyboards, mouses, pads.
I mean those RF devices with their own USB dongles not requiring BT stack and the whole hassle of pairing.
Probably RF gamepads aren't wide spread, but still not hard to find. I'm using Thrustmaster wireless Ferrari gamepad.
As for RF keyboard and mouses - they are very common and pretty easy to find. I recommend Logitech K400r wireless keyboard with integrated touchpad.

Thus, i don't see the need of BT at all. Kernel sources are available and if there is a willing to get some specific BT device to work, then you can build your own kernel.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:02 pm

8bitdo sells receivers for their pads, which ought to work.
So instead of one BT dongle, just have a little hub with two dongles. I think they work (I have a couple) but will try again.

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:48 am

it's interesting to know how this 8bitdo USB adapter works. Does it require a special driver for pairing dualshock controller for example? If it completely independent from OS and acts as a generic HID device, then it would be really good solution.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:45 am

Sorgelig wrote:it's interesting to know how this 8bitdo USB adapter works. Does it require a special driver for pairing dualshock controller for example? If it completely independent from OS and acts as a generic HID device, then it would be really good solution.

Yes it needs no drivers, I have both the NES and SNES dongles and both work great with MiSTer. At worst you might need to update the firmware for it in case there's a new gamepad to support, but otherwise experience is pretty smooth. I use these in general, unless I use an arcade stick which I wire via USB or a Genesis USB adapter.

The only caveat is that you can only use one dongle per controller (at least for these two, not sure about the new one). So you would need two for multiplayer. But that is fair enough.

Basically I have my MiSTer with no wired connections except the Ethernet, HDMI, and power, which can all be hidden easily.

Locutus73

Postby Locutus73 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:47 am

Newsdee wrote:
Sorgelig wrote:it's interesting to know how this 8bitdo USB adapter works. Does it require a special driver for pairing dualshock controller for example? If it completely independent from OS and acts as a generic HID device, then it would be really good solution.

Yes it needs no drivers, I have both the NES and SNES dongles and both work great with MiSTer. At worst you might need to update the firmware for it in case there's a new gamepad to support, but otherwise experience is pretty smooth. I use these in general, unless I use an arcade stick which I wire via USB or a Genesis USB adapter.

I confirm all these adapters do their best in order to be seen by the host platform as a "standard wired controller". i.e.:
1) 8bitdo retro receivers (NES, SNES, Classic) act as a wired x-input controller if wired to a PC (Windows reports a wired XBox360 controller) and as a wired DualDhock 3 if connected to a PlayStation 3. I don't know (I don't think) if they support vibration.
2) 8bitdo new USB Wireless Adapter can act as an x-input (see 1), dinput (a standard HID pad I think) and Mac (a variant of HID pad I think) and user can select mode with a combination of buttons. It acts automatically as a Nintendo Switch controller if connected to… a Nintendo Switch. It supports vibration and/or motion controls with specific controller/host combinations.
3) Mayflash PS3 adapters act as x-input or dinput joypad according to a mechanical switch. In x-input mode it supports vibration and analog triggers, but it requires one adaptor per joypad. In dinput mode it doesn't support analog triggers and it requires a specific Windows driver for vibration, but it supports four joypads per adapter.
4) Mayflash Bluetooth USB Wii SensorBar acts as various combinations of dinput joypad, hid mouse and hid keyboard based upon button combinations (it supports a wiimote passthrough mode too for Dolphin Emulator).
All adapters pair to their joypad using a button on the adapter itself and the native joypad pairing method; this is usually a recessed button or a button combination on the controller. DualShock 3 is the only exception, requiring special USB commands in order to initiate a pairing; 8bitdo provides a Windows program in order to force a connected DualShock 3 in pairing mode, while Mayflash adapters provides a USB female connector: you connect once the DualShock 3 to the adapter and it's paired.

Newsdee wrote:The only caveat is that you can only use one dongle per controller (at least for these two, not sure about the new one). So you would need two for multiplayer. But that is fair enough.

Mayflash DualShock 3 adapter supports 4 pads in dinput mode.

Newsdee wrote:Basically I have my MiSTer with no wired connections except the Ethernet, HDMI, and power, which can all be hidden easily.

Same here both for MiSTer and my gaming/emulation PC. I usually prefer these adapters (Mayflash offers many other ones) in order to use well known good quality original Nintendo/Sega/Sony/Microsoft controllers instead of unknown joypad/dongle combinations. To be honest the whole MiSTer can be easily hidden; I use a domotic power socket to turn it on/off... Hey Siri turn on MiSTer :lol:

Locutus73

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:45 pm

Actually PS3/PS4 (and probably XBOX) controllers aren't good for MiSTer. They flood by events a lot even if you don't press anything. So, MiSTer is pretty busy when you connect one of these gamepads. So, i don't recommend to use these controllers. The good thing - these controllers require special receiver, so not many people will use them with MiSTer ;)
I've tested them (except XBOX) with wired connection. I don't know if these wireless adapters filter out messages or not. Probably not.

Locutus73

Postby Locutus73 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:53 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Actually PS3/PS4 (and probably XBOX) controllers aren't good for MiSTer. They flood by events a lot even if you don't press anything. So, MiSTer is pretty busy when you connect one of these gamepads. So, i don't recommend to use these controllers. The good thing - these controllers require special receiver, so not many people will use them with MiSTer ;)
I've tested them (except XBOX) with wired connection. I don't know if these wireless adapters filter out messages or not. Probably not.

Ok, so how do we test for event flooding controllers?

Locutus73

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:04 pm

Run menu core and connect the console. There you will see messages about received input events.

Return to “MiSTer”