Screenshot Dumping?

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

keito
Atariator
Atariator

Screenshot Dumping?

Postby keito » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:54 am

Is there a way to dump a screenshot from the frame buffer using the OSD Menu? This would be reeealy handy in many respects, not only for sharing and debugging problems with others...

Right now I am in Amiga, not in WB so may use heartmon. But I can see it being a really useful feature that would support whatever is on screen regardless of which core, is this possible perhaps one day?

Sorgelig
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Screenshot Dumping?

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:52 pm

Easiest and universal way to take a screenshot is to use video capture device.

FPGA is different from software emulators. There is no such thing as frame buffer in its classic form - every emulated system provides video differently and sometimes its constructed on the fly. For example, ZX core has a large border which has no pixel memory at all. Video on border is building on the fly according to border color register at specific moment of raster.
Linux has no access to video, so every core requires integrating a special video grabber. Theoretically, it's possible to hijack the framebuffer from scaler but there is another story - i have no idea of frame buffer format used in scaler. I have no plans to create a video grabber and integrate it into every core.

keito
Atariator
Atariator

Re: Screenshot Dumping?

Postby keito » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:14 pm

Interesting! Thank you very much for the explanation Sorgelig 8)

Return to “MiSTer”