C64 Core

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: C64 Core

Postby ericgus » Tue May 28, 2019 7:30 pm

evdberg wrote:According to the manual, using JiffyDOS loading a 202 block file should take 12 seconds. However, I noticed that it takes longer, and using a stopwatch I clocked it at twice the time. Any idea what is wrong, or what I am doing wrong?

Jiffydos also has 1541 rom replacement you need to ensure you have loaded as well .. its a two part system, a c64 rom and a rom image for the 1541 drive as well.

evdberg
Atariator
Atariator

Postby evdberg » Wed May 29, 2019 12:27 pm

Yes, I double checked that, I have the complete JiffyDOS bootrom (as described in the readme).

bertnorg
Atarian
Atarian

Postby bertnorg » Thu May 30, 2019 12:30 pm

i'm just curious, not asking for anything. :oops:
i do realize that it is not logical.

is it possible to connect a cheap usb 1.44 floppy disk drive.
using it as a 1581 disk drive.
i understand that it would need some fpga coding.

hubersn
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby hubersn » Fri May 31, 2019 9:17 pm

bertnorg wrote:is it possible to connect a cheap usb 1.44 floppy disk drive.
using it as a 1581 disk drive.

For all known 3.5" USB floppy drives: no, this is not possible, since the USB standard only mandates a small subset of DOS-like floppy formats, and that's all your typical USB floppy implements.

It's basically the same problem for e.g. modern RISC OS machines which cannot use those USB floppy drives to read ADFS format floppy discs.

Have fun
hubersn

bertnorg
Atarian
Atarian

Postby bertnorg » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:39 am

thanks for sharing, it's a pity that you cannot use some form of floppy disks.

drj3rk
Atariator
Atariator

Postby drj3rk » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:10 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
PhantombrainM wrote:Okay, that's interesting. Many of the tests I have entered in the table fail. And very often it said "old cia." Since my C64C showed the same errors, I thought to myself, this is because the MISTer core and my C64C have the new CIA and therefore the behavior is identical. I almost wanted to remove the "old cia" from my test chart. Tomorrow I'll unscrew my C64C and check which chips are in it and add the info to the compatibility list.

MiSTer uses old CIA mode. I just didn't see the need to make a switch as all games must be compatible with Original C64 version.
If your C64 is breadbin then it's definitely uses old CIA. C64C must have new CIA.

Hi Sorgelig! This is somewhat unrelated, and does not indicate any issues with the C64 core. I just thought I'd bring it up, just in case it could become useful information at some point.

There is actually a difference between the original 1983 breadbox, and all subsequent years. It probably will not crop up in the core, so it may just be trivia at this point.

However, screen clearing ROM function on the early 1983 model it didn't fill the character color buffer. On post 1983 it cleared the buffer to the cursor color. There are a few games, and several demos where the screen (or parts of it) would appear black, instead of showing the game/demo graphics or effects.

Now this is just from memory, but one game (I think) was called Out of this World. A space shooter. The background would be black on the 1983 system and not on the later systems. Also, there were a couple of CFR / Human demos that had screens that showed this issue.

Like I said, probably nothing to even think about, but when I was reading your comments on the CIA differences, it made me think about that.

Anyway, thanks for all the cool work you do!

drj3rk
Atariator
Atariator

Postby drj3rk » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:17 pm

I apologize for appending this via a second post. It takes so long for my posts to get approved since I'm new. :D

Anyway, here's a link to a demo that exhibited the behavior I mentioned in my previous post. Just as a reference point. I've been trying to figure out what the two games I used to play were like this, but haven't figured it out yet. Out of this World was NOT one of them as I originally thought. One was a vertical space shooter. Just trying to find it.

It's really probably not even relevant. Just interesting in a historical context I guess.

Here's the demo link:

https://csdb.dk/release/?id=41623

bertnorg
Atarian
Atarian

Postby bertnorg » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:38 am

found a copy of GEOS at a thrift store and wanna try it out for fun but need a mouse. :shrug:
is there a option to use a usb mouse as a 1351 Mouse.

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:57 am

bertnorg wrote:found a copy of GEOS at a thrift store and wanna try it out for fun but need a mouse. :shrug:
is there a option to use a usb mouse as a 1351 Mouse.

AFAIK I dont think it supports using a usb mouse as a 1531 mouse (though that WOULD be nice as an option) ..

for now in geos you could get by using a joystick, its ugly and clunky but geos was made to use joysticks as inputs if needed.. (hit the Commodore-key + the letter I .. eg "C=+I" to switch inputs from mouse to joystick)

bertnorg
Atarian
Atarian

Postby bertnorg » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:13 am

sorg, edited this option.
mometerly i'm on holiday so i can't test this.
i think there are two ways to use this,i think that the mouse emulates the joystick.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:00 pm

Geos works fine with mouse in latest release.

yellperil
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby yellperil » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:51 pm

I think bertnorg is talking about the secondary mode of the 1351 mouse.

If you hold down the right mouse button while the c64 is power cycled the 1351 mouse
works like a 1350 mouse which just behaves like a joystick ( ie not using potx or poty )

Then you can use the mouse for software written for potx poty implementations or with
any software that uses a standard joystick.

Mouse works great in GEOS :D
Last edited by yellperil on Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

yellperil
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby yellperil » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:52 pm

Double post

bertnorg
Atarian
Atarian

Postby bertnorg » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:20 pm

If you hold down the right mouse button while the c64 is power cycled the 1351 mouse
works like a 1350 mouse which just behaves like a joystick ( ie not using potx or poty )

Then you can use the mouse for software written for potx poty implementations or with

yes, so it works. perfekt :cheers:

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:29 pm

yellperil wrote:I think bertnorg is talking about the secondary mode of the 1351 mouse.

MiSTer supports both joystick and mouse on the same port.

funkheld
Retro freak
Retro freak

How does the user port work on the Core C64 from the Mister

Postby funkheld » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:35 pm

Hi good afternoon.
How does the user port work on the Core C64 of the Mister when I activate the Userport?

Can I please give me anml a detailed explanation of the function. With my 70 years, I have found no solution to it.
My english skills are not very good.
I'll do my best to understand how it works.

Thank you.
Greeting

NobleX13
Atarian
Atarian

Postby NobleX13 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:01 pm

My DE10-nano isn't here yet but I just wanted to drop in and show my appreciation for the C64 core. I've been a long-time fan of this system but my original hardware is in need of some TLC. I am looking forward to spending a significant amount of time running this core. I spent more time than I care to admin playing the C64 versions of choplifter and Ghostbusters as a kid.

djmartins
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby djmartins » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:17 am

NobleX13 wrote:My DE10-nano isn't here yet but I just wanted to drop in and show my appreciation for the C64 core. I've been a long-time fan of this system but my original hardware is in need of some TLC. I am looking forward to spending a significant amount of time running this core. I spent more time than I care to admin playing the C64 versions of choplifter and Ghostbusters as a kid.

You'll love MiSTer then because it does other Commodore machines and many other systems.
There are even a good amount of arcade machine cores along with a lot of consoles.

Return to “MiSTer”