Atari User
Atari User

Re: C64 Core

Postby PiddlyD » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:27 am

BBond007 wrote:
PiddlyD wrote:O486]
MIDI_BAUD = 38400
TCP_SOUND_CONNECT = /media/fat/SOUNDS/connect_sav.wav

Looks like this is duplicated & corrupt (missing '[A'), delete that part - Doubt that has anything to do with the problem, but worth fixing...

I'm not sure why its not working. It almost looks like the baud rate is incorrect. What happens if you type commands such as "ATHELP" or "ATVER"?

At one point (a while ago...) the location of the MidiLink.INI changed from '/media/fat/config' to '/media/fat/linux' - are you editing the one in the 'linux' directory? If there is one in 'config' you can delete it...

I was able to connect to Afterlife BBS (afterlife.dynu.com:6400) with both of my MiSTers with the 4/25 C64 core - I have one MiSTer that is more affected by core stability issues than the other.

evdberg wrote:I noticed that the C64 core does not start when run as 1st after powering on MiSTer. Is this a known issue? After reboot it will start correctly.

I get that on one of my MiSTers but not the other. If i just reload the core it seems to work the 2nd time.

I'm starting to wonder if the Super I/O expansion board could be the problem. I have one from cbmstuff

You can see that he didn't follow the reference design completely. The smaller buttons don't fit the default build for a MiSTer case from Thingiverse, for example.

I'll check your advice and see. There has to be *something* wrong somewhere. It is so strange that my Minimig and AO486 are both able to connect to this BBS with no problem, it is only the C-64 core that gives me issues.

BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BBond007 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:36 am

PiddlyD wrote:I'm starting to wonder if the Super I/O expansion board could be the problem.

Definitely not the problem. Have the same board in one of my MiSTers...

Its probably something simple I'm overlooking...
Last edited by BBond007 on Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

PiddlyD
Atari User
Atari User

Postby PiddlyD » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:49 am

BBond007 wrote:
PiddlyD wrote:O486]
MIDI_BAUD = 38400
TCP_SOUND_CONNECT = /media/fat/SOUNDS/connect_sav.wav

Looks like this is duplicated & corrupt (missing '[A'), delete that part - Doubt that has anything to do with the problem, but worth fixing...

I'm not sure why its not working. It almost looks like the baud rate is incorrect. What happens if you type commands such as "ATHELP" or "ATVER"?

At one point (a while ago...) the location of the MidiLink.INI changed from '/media/fat/config' to '/media/fat/linux' - are you editing the one in the 'linux' directory? If there is one in 'config' you can delete it...

I was able to connect to Afterlife BBS (afterlife.dynu.com:6400) with both of my MiSTers with the 4/25 C64 core - I have one MiSTer that is more affected by core stability issues than the other.

evdberg wrote:I noticed that the C64 core does not start when run as 1st after powering on MiSTer. Is this a known issue? After reboot it will start correctly.

I get that on one of my MiSTers but not the other. If i just reload the core it seems to work the 2nd time.

So... this is weird... if I just go into the terminal and enter ATHELP or ATVER... I get the same line noise effect. Checkerboard patterns across the screen.

I figured it out... I had User Port set to Joysticks, not UART. I switched that, and everything is now connecting fine.

Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paradroyd » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:56 am

PiddlyD wrote:I figured it out... I had User Port set to Joysticks, not UART. I switched that, and everything is now connecting fine.

That same exact thing got me a month or two ago..whenever the user port setting layout initially changed. It suddenly defaulted to "joysticks" and the modem quit working until I figured out what was going on and changed it.
- Paradroyd
@paradroyd on Twitter, @paradroyd@mastodon.sdf.org on Mastodon

BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BBond007 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:02 am

PiddlyD wrote:I figured it out... I had User Port set to Joysticks, not UART. I switched that, and everything is now connecting fine.

That is good news. I knew it was something simple I was overlooking. Totally forgot about that setting :)

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:25 am

I have no problem with starting the core. It always starts from the first time.

PiddlyD wrote:I'm starting to wonder if the Super I/O expansion board could be the problem.

You need to understand such closed source boards are not supported. It may have different kind problems as it uses different design, especially for SDRAM - so timing may be different.

BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BBond007 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:35 am

Sorgelig wrote:I have no problem with starting the core. It always starts from the first time.

You need to understand such closed source boards are not supported. It may have different kind problems as it uses different design, especially for SDRAM - so timing may be different.

I'm not sure if you are implying these issues are related? It was evdberg who mentioned problems with starting the core. PiddlyD mentioned owning the the unsupported AIO board...

My (older) MiSTer that does not always get video on the C64 core first try has a regular SDRAM and no IO board. I have swapped SD cards between both units and the problem follows the DE10-nano, not the SD card configuration. The (newer) DE10-nano with the (unsupported) AIO board has never had the issue. I do have an extra (shorter) SDRAM I can try in my older DE10.

evdberg
Atariator
Atariator

Postby evdberg » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:28 pm

evdberg wrote:Also would it be possible to switch the screen frequency to 50Hz of the chosen screen resolution (in my case 1920x1080) when PAL is selected and to 60Hz when NTSC is selected? Vsync=1 does not work for me with the C64 core in combination with my monitor.

Never mind, I tried the vsync_adjust=1 setting again and now it works fine. I guess I got the black screen when I tried it the first time on the C64 core, and when I tried the Xevious arcade core after that, it displayed a garbled screen, so I concluded it did not work with my display.

Sometimes I still get the black screen on boot of the C64 core, but it is not necessarily after startup of the board. Pretty weird. I do not have an IO board, only the XS SDRAM module.

yellperil
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby yellperil » Fri May 03, 2019 1:40 pm

This is probably a completely useless bug to implement in the core . . .
. . . but the T65 CPU doesn't seem to implement the page boundary bug for shy and shx illegal opcodes.

As per this article http://codebase64.org/doku.php?id=base:use_shy_as_sty_x_or_shx_as_stx_y

ldy #$14
ldx #$01
shy $0eff,x

I've checked it in VICE and it works fine there, but not in the MiSTer core.

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Mon May 06, 2019 10:01 am

yellperil wrote:This is probably a completely useless bug to implement in the core . . .
. . . but the T65 CPU doesn't seem to implement the page boundary bug for shy and shx illegal opcodes.

Good exercise for some HDL-development :) VICE tests can be used for validating.

evdberg
Atariator
Atariator

Postby evdberg » Thu May 09, 2019 7:18 am

On the internal scaler the scrolling is 'wobbly'. This is caused because some pixels are multiplied by 4 and some by 3 to scale from 370x280 to fit 1920x1080.
Is it possible to scale by the same multiplier, so 4 for 1920x1080? Then you would get 1480x1120. Fitting this into 1080p would mean loosing 40 pixels, but these are only 10 original pixels, so 5 lines of the top and the bottom of the screen. I would not mind missing these, and get smooth scrolling in return. You could do the same for the sides and fit the picture into 1440x1080 to retain the original 4x3 aspect ratio.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Thu May 09, 2019 7:47 am

use Lanczos filters, so all pixels will look the same.

evdberg
Atariator
Atariator

Postby evdberg » Thu May 09, 2019 1:13 pm

Sorgelig wrote:use Lanczos filters, so all pixels will look the same.

All pixels will then get that ugly ringing around it, which the internal filter does not have. That is definitely not the same as what I proposed.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Thu May 09, 2019 1:47 pm

There are several versions - some of them don't have noticeable ringing.
This is the only you can have beside the integer scaling ini option.

What you told is not new and discussed many times already. MiSTer is not locked to single output resolution.

evdberg
Atariator
Atariator

Postby evdberg » Thu May 09, 2019 4:01 pm

Sorgelig wrote:There are several versions - some of them don't have noticeable ringing.

Lanczos2_15 is indeed pretty good.

Sorgelig wrote:This is the only you can have beside the integer scaling ini option.

I have been looking for that option, but must have missed it. I just looked at the ini file again, but do not see what option I need to enable. Can you give a hint?

Sorgelig wrote:What you told is not new and discussed many times already.

Sorry for that, I am still pretty new to this.

Sorgelig wrote:MiSTer is not locked to single output resolution.

I am aware of that, and have been playing with both video_mode and vsync_adjust. However, my monitor is 1920x1080, so I figured it best to keep it at that resolution.
Just thinking. If the C64 core would render at 360x270 (instead of 370x280) it would automatically scale integer to 1440x1080. Is that a possibility? I am just trying to get the very best image quality for the C64 core. Thanks for all your work and help!

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Thu May 09, 2019 7:35 pm

Code: Select all

vscale_mode=0          ; 0 - scale to fit the screen height.
                       ; 1 - use integer scale only.
                       ; 2 - use 0.5 steps of scale.
                       ; 3 - use 0.25 steps of scale.

note it's only for vertical scale. Horizontal scale will depend on aspect ratio.

evdberg
Atariator
Atariator

Postby evdberg » Fri May 10, 2019 8:06 am

I have been testing with that option, but that also does not do what I want. How do I set the scaling to times 4?

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Fri May 10, 2019 1:02 pm

Scaling cannot cut the video. So you cannot simply set the magnifier and expect it will cut the parts of video.

SegaMan
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby SegaMan » Mon May 13, 2019 10:05 am

Dont get stable picture on CRT with the latest core.

evdberg
Atariator
Atariator

Postby evdberg » Wed May 15, 2019 12:13 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Scaling cannot cut the video. So you cannot simply set the magnifier and expect it will cut the parts of video.

Hence my suggestion to lower the rendered resolution from 370x280 to 360x270 (maybe as option?).
What is the problem for the scaler to cut part of the video?

funkheld
Retro freak
Retro freak

Compile c64 source code for MiSTer with quartus 18.1.

Postby funkheld » Mon May 20, 2019 8:56 am

Hi good afternoon.
I compiled the source code of the C64 with Quartus 18.1 last night. The quartus shows 100% done. It took 20 minutes.
But I can not find any rbf in the directory. I assume that this compilation is different and somehow Quartus has to
deal with it again. how does that work?

Thank you.
greeting

yellperil
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: Compile c64 source code for MiSTer with quartus 18.1.

Postby yellperil » Mon May 20, 2019 11:37 am

If you haven't compiled a core before, have a read of the Wiki. Take note of the Trial vs Full on RBF's.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki/Core-porting-notes#fulllite-revisions

funkheld wrote:Hi good afternoon.
I compiled the source code of the C64 with Quartus 18.1 last night. The quartus shows 100% done. It took 20 minutes.
But I can not find any rbf in the directory. I assume that this compilation is different and somehow Quartus has to
deal with it again. how does that work?

Thank you.
greeting

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Mon May 20, 2019 3:29 pm

rbf should be in output_files folder

evdberg
Atariator
Atariator

Postby evdberg » Sun May 26, 2019 10:21 am

I noticed a problem with the sprites in the right border in the demo 'One Quarter' by Fairlight.
It is at this point https://youtu.be/iI8wxyRM8Do?t=202
On the MiSTer there is a white sprite overlapping the text in the right border.

Also, MiSTer does not seem to support the T64 format?

evdberg
Atariator
Atariator

Postby evdberg » Tue May 28, 2019 7:10 pm

According to the manual, using JiffyDOS loading a 202 block file should take 12 seconds. However, I noticed that it takes longer, and using a stopwatch I clocked it at twice the time. Any idea what is wrong, or what I am doing wrong? I looked in the manual if there is a way to turn off the screen while loading, since display obviously takes cpu cycles, but I could not find this.

Also JiffyDOS does not seem to work correctly when the C64 is in NTSC mode. After loading a program, running it just hangs the C64.

Return to “MiSTer”