Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

PhantombrainM
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: C64 Core

Postby PhantombrainM » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:45 pm

slingshot wrote:

Thanks! It's a good start.

I think the MISTer core is a new CIA so I can skip the "old cia" tests?
Two beer or not two beer? - Shakesbeer.

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:07 pm

PhantombrainM wrote:
I think the MISTer core is a new CIA so I can skip the "old cia" tests?

It's actually implements the "old" CIA (6526). Don't know if it is switchable to the "new" one (8521).

PhantombrainM
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby PhantombrainM » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:54 pm

Okay, that's interesting. Many of the tests I have entered in the table fail. And very often it said "old cia." Since my C64C showed the same errors, I thought to myself, this is because the MISTer core and my C64C have the new CIA and therefore the behavior is identical. I almost wanted to remove the "old cia" from my test chart. Tomorrow I'll unscrew my C64C and check which chips are in it and add the info to the compatibility list.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:54 am

PhantombrainM wrote:Okay, that's interesting. Many of the tests I have entered in the table fail. And very often it said "old cia." Since my C64C showed the same errors, I thought to myself, this is because the MISTer core and my C64C have the new CIA and therefore the behavior is identical. I almost wanted to remove the "old cia" from my test chart. Tomorrow I'll unscrew my C64C and check which chips are in it and add the info to the compatibility list.

MiSTer uses old CIA mode. I just didn't see the need to make a switch as all games must be compatible with Original C64 version.
If your C64 is breadbin then it's definitely uses old CIA. C64C must have new CIA.

PhantombrainM
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby PhantombrainM » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:43 am

I think we misunderstood each other. I hadn't asked for a switch between new and old cias. I'm just surprised that some tests failed. But I get the same results on the real C64C. So I thought that must be because the C64C has a new CIA and the MISTer also has one. Since that's not the case, I don't understand the test results in my table, so I want to check my C64C to see what's really built in. I would like to have results and tests in the list that will help us.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:01 pm

probably the tests where it writes "old CIA" are for new CIA.

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God

Postby slingshot » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:38 pm

I assume some "old" CIA tests fail because of an original bug in Timer B (in cia-timer-oldcias only the right side has some red symbols, which is Timer B). The "new" version of the test is successful with the new CIA (that's why I mainly put switching ability to the mist core, for testing purposes). Also 3,3a and 8 are the same. More interesting are the CPU tests, seems even Lorenz tests are passing, there are some obscure instructions failing. I also assume dd0dtest fails because of the CPU, not the CIA.
If you have time for it, VIC-II tests would be interesting, I wasn't brave enough to see them yet :)
Btw, I wonder what CIA version that C64C has. It's normal those failing tests fail for the "old" CIA in the core, but would fail differently for a new one.

collectem
Atarian
Atarian

C64 not working

Postby collectem » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:22 pm

The c64 core was working and now don't work all i get is a blank black screen i got all the options but no basic screen

I have the xs slim board with winbond chip i also just got a 3.1u vert board with alliance chip just incase memory board was at fault still same problem
Could have damage my board swapping it in and out or i am just missing something

Both board pass memory check at 150mhz fine

Any help would be great

Ta

pomegran
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby pomegran » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:06 pm

Hi everybody,

Newbie question here so apologies if it's dumb!

Are most people using Mister and the C64 core outputting to a CRT? I'm having issues across all cores with running a completely smooth horizontal scroll (whether this is PAL at 50.9Hz for the C64 or NTSC Genesis @ 60.2Hz). I appreciate it's probably a sync issue between Mister and my Samsung flatscreen, but do most of you use CRT output or are you putting up with a slide judder?

Any pointers around helping with .ini settings would be useful too.

Thanks

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:10 pm

Since the C64 core now has the ability to re-direct the USER port pins to the DE-10 UART, can you make it so those pins are available externally so we can run real C64 hardware?
I am the flux ninja

THaase
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby THaase » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:34 am

Hi Sorgelig,

at the moment I'm also doing some small 'research' for using a Arduino Pro Micro to adopt a classic C64 Keyboard to the Mister (others will/might follow).
Yes - I know there is the 'Keyrah', but I don't need the Joystick ports and for my intention it's too big (and too expensive :-) ).
As I wan't to avoid to need keyboard mapping I've had a look to the C64 Keyboard file and found out that the keys F2,F4,F6,F8 are not mappen (the F4 is mapped to the Restore Key).

Code: Select all

--when X"06" => -- F2
   when X"09" => key_plus <= pressed;
   --when X"0A" => -- F8
   --when X"0B" => -- F6
   when X"0C" => restore_key <= pressed; -- F4

As some software (most not I know) is/might using these keys (Vizawrite is one example) -

Can you please activate the even F-Keys?
It's clear to me that you then have to move the Restore (but there are plenty other unused keys on a normal PC keyboard :D )
And yes - for sure I can do this by my own, but I would prefer having it in the master :D

Or is there any reason why you've deactivated the even F-Keys?
Thanks for clarification!

cu
Thomas

ghogan42
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby ghogan42 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:29 am

pomegran wrote:Hi everybody,

Newbie question here so apologies if it's dumb!

Are most people using Mister and the C64 core outputting to a CRT? I'm having issues across all cores with running a completely smooth horizontal scroll (whether this is PAL at 50.9Hz for the C64 or NTSC Genesis @ 60.2Hz). I appreciate it's probably a sync issue between Mister and my Samsung flatscreen, but do most of you use CRT output or are you putting up with a slide judder?

Any pointers around helping with .ini settings would be useful too.

Thanks

Many people use the option "vsync_adjust=1" in their mister.ini. That option lets mister match the refresh rate of the core even over hdmi. But not every tv will sync to off-spec video. You can create subsections in your ini as well for any cores that need special options if you find some cores have no video with this option enabled.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:30 am

They are not deactivated, they never been assigned. What you see are place holders for may be future assignment. It just PS2 codes written so it will be easy to assign without searching the codes in internet.
C64 never had separate even Fn keys. They are activated with Fn-1 + Shift.

I will look into possibility to assign the combination for even Fn keys.

THaase
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby THaase » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:48 am

Thanks!
Basically I'm even fine with the seperated codes :-) (But in that case the Restore has to be assigned to a different key)

yellperil
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby yellperil » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:13 pm

Hmmm . . . I'd like to do the same thing. I have bought a 128D keyboard and an Ardunio Micro ( with the USB host support ).

I just need some time to wire it up. Maybe I'll move it to the top of my project pile.

I thought this might be a good start, although he's mapped Shift F1 (C64) => F2 (PC).

https://github.com/dabonetn/C64USBKey/blob/master/C64USBKeyboard2.ino

I just read a little about the way the official Arduino library works, seems a bit limited.
It didn't seem promising for this combination shift-F1 (C64) => shift-F1 (PC)

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/KeyboardModifiers

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:26 pm

A500_USB.jpg

my USB version for A500/A1200 keyboard :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

THaase
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby THaase » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:45 pm

yellperil wrote:I just read a little about the way the official Arduino library works, seems a bit limited.
It didn't seem promising for this combination shift-F1 (C64) => shift-F1 (PC)

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/KeyboardModifiers

At the moment I think it will be enough using
Keyboard.press(LEFT_SHIFT);
Keyboard.press(LEFT_F1);
Keyboard.releaseAll();

Let's see ...

@Sorgelig: Nice :-) - but I prefer small PCB with according connector .... and finally the original KB in some acryllic glass 'case'.
Might be also easy to implement for Amiga/ZX81/ZX Spectrum and some others ... so having the original feeling with the original KB :-)

pomegran
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby pomegran » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:06 pm

ghogan42 wrote:Many people use the option "vsync_adjust=1" in their mister.ini. That option lets mister match the refresh rate of the core even over hdmi. But not every tv will sync to off-spec video. You can create subsections in your ini as well for any cores that need special options if you find some cores have no video with this option enabled.

Yep, tried that based on the very detailed article - thanks for responding though. Seems my TV just won't quite sync it, which is a shame. It's a decent Samsung TV which makes it even more painful for me!

Does anybody know what I should be looking for on a TV that would support this? Anything on the TV spec sheet that could guide me?

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:19 pm

THaase wrote:@Sorgelig: Nice :-) - but I prefer small PCB with according connector .... and finally the original KB in some acryllic glass 'case'.
Might be also easy to implement for Amiga/ZX81/ZX Spectrum and some others ... so having the original feeling with the original KB :-)

The large board is original Amiga 500 controller. And if you look presicely you will notice a small Arduino Micro piggybacking on a main chip. Pins on top are for LED connection. on the left there is USB connector.
This was made several years ago for my MiST in Amiga 1200 case.

Keyrah has problem with some key combinations, so it's not really good. So i have to make my own converter.

THaase
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby THaase » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:32 pm

Yeah I‘ve seen the Arduino. But I prefer not to solder directly but use an additional board.
At the moment I think about having either one PCB for each KB or having one PCB with multiple connector.

yellperil
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby yellperil » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:09 pm

I've tried it out and this code works nicely without modification ( although I did move some pins on my Micro ).

https://github.com/dabonetn/C64USBKey/blob/master/C64USBKeyboard2.ino

Right Shift and the F-Keys give you the Even F-Key numbers
Left Shift+Restore gives you the F12 Menu.

Lines 21 to 25 are missing for the extra keys on my 128D keyboard, I might add in the keypad and individual cursors.

c128_keyboard.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

THaase
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby THaase » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:44 pm

Thanks for the Fx-Key update!

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:56 pm

Isn't 128D keyboard too bulky? MiSTer board is very small. It can fit into C128 case, so no cable resebling 380V power cable required.

yellperil
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby yellperil » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:21 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Isn't 128D keyboard too bulky? MiSTer board is very small. It can fit into C128 case, so no cable resebling 380V power cable required.

Yeah, but I like the chunky terminal style of it and it has a different feel to my C128s and C64s. I’m thinking I’d like to mount it all in a scaled down box to match.

Mares
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Mares » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:32 pm

Hi All

I was just wondering about a additional feature to the c64 core of being able to reset or warm reset without removing the currently loaded user cartridge

Back in the day I used to have a Action Replay Cartridge and used it extensively and it's great that now we can load carts at boot but it seems to only work once the core is loaded

Thanx again for this amazing core

Mary

Return to “MiSTer”