C64 Core

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 4636
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:51 am
Location: Russia/Taiwan

Re: C64 Core

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:45 pm

C64 is computer which expects keyboard presence anyway, so i don't see a need to add all possible functions to joysticks.

Lodovic
Atariator
Atariator
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:51 am

Re: C64 Core

Postby Lodovic » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:04 pm

Yes, thinking about it, the C64 WAS a keyboard with a computer inside.

User avatar
thelatestmodel
Atariator
Atariator
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:51 pm

Re: C64 Core

Postby thelatestmodel » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:34 pm

I'm wondering if someone can try something for me - can anyone try Turbo Outrun on the C64 core and see if the music is perfect? For reference, this is what the title music should sound like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfYsDQqzhk8

On my MiSTer the music is all but cut off after the "OUTRUN" voice sample at the 6 second mark. It all goes quiet, you just hear the waves and then it's like only one of the channels is playing. Just wondering if other people have this same experience and whether this is a bug or just me.

dukester
Atarian
Atarian
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:18 pm

Re: C64 Core

Postby dukester » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:55 pm

Hi! I'm sorry if this has already been covered before, but how do I load .prg files on this core?

DanyPPC
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 709
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:02 am

Re: C64 Core

Postby DanyPPC » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:11 pm

thelatestmodel wrote:I'm wondering if someone can try something for me - can anyone try Turbo Outrun on the C64 core and see if the music is perfect? For reference, this is what the title music should sound like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfYsDQqzhk8

On my MiSTer the music is all but cut off after the "OUTRUN" voice sample at the 6 second mark. It all goes quiet, you just hear the waves and then it's like only one of the channels is playing. Just wondering if other people have this same experience and whether this is a bug or just me.


Turbo Out Run is one of those games which have problem on this Core. Hysteria and Gutz have no music at all.

First, even on Ultimate II e Ultmate 64 SID emulation, but latest updates fix the problem.

User avatar
thelatestmodel
Atariator
Atariator
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:51 pm

Re: C64 Core

Postby thelatestmodel » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:31 pm

Good to know, thanks! Hopefully it can be perfected someday. Probably my favourite C64 soundtrack 8)

widge
Atari User
Atari User
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:24 pm

Re: C64 Core

Postby widge » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:51 pm

dukester wrote:Hi! I'm sorry if this has already been covered before, but how do I load .prg files on this core?


Press F12 to bring the menu then "Load File *.PRG" to select the PRG. From Commodore BASIC, type RUN to start it.

dukester
Atarian
Atarian
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:18 pm

Re: C64 Core

Postby dukester » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:43 pm

widge wrote:
dukester wrote:Hi! I'm sorry if this has already been covered before, but how do I load .prg files on this core?


Press F12 to bring the menu then "Load File *.PRG" to select the PRG. From Commodore BASIC, type RUN to start it.


Thanks very much :D

Lodovic
Atariator
Atariator
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:51 am

Re: C64 Core

Postby Lodovic » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:43 pm

widge wrote:Press F12 to bring the menu then "Load File *.PRG" to select the PRG. From Commodore BASIC, type RUN to start it.


It would be nice if the C64 core would automatically do a reset before loading a PRG. Right now, the quickest way is to do CTRL-ALT-ALT before entering the OSD menu and loading the file.

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 799
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:23 pm

Re: C64 Core

Postby JimDrew » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:49 am

I thought the USER push button does a reset? I know it does for quite a few of the computer cores.
I am the flux ninja

aixz
Atarian
Atarian
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:34 am

[c64 core] SID FPGA status

Postby aixz » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:14 pm

Hi,
from what I read, SID inside the C64 core is from the Ultimate II from Gideon ?
Is there a work in progress or a project to improve/ehence the rendering of the sids versions ?
BTW i am only looking in the official mister repository on Github, is there any other source for recent/beta c64 cores ?
thanks!

DanyPPC
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 709
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:02 am

Re: C64 Core

Postby DanyPPC » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:10 pm

thelatestmodel wrote:can anyone try Turbo Outrun on the C64 core ?


I was wrong! This morning I tried Turbo Out Run on my Ultimate 64 and behaves the same way as the C64 Core on MiST/MiSTer.
Hysteria instead plays perfectly on the Ultimate 64.

Is there space for improvements ?

DanyPPC
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 709
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:02 am

Re: C64 Core

Postby DanyPPC » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:54 pm

A new CIA Tester tool which works as expected on Ultimate 64, CCS64 but not in VICE.
Someone wants to test it on the MiST/MiSTer ?

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 799
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:23 pm

Re: C64 Core

Postby JimDrew » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:35 pm

This test shows the exact same results for my C64C and WinVICE 3.0.
I am the flux ninja

yellperil
Atari nerd
Atari nerd
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:53 am

Re: C64 Core

Postby yellperil » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:49 am

DanyPPC wrote:
thelatestmodel wrote:can anyone try Turbo Outrun on the C64 core ?


I was wrong! This morning I tried Turbo Out Run on my Ultimate 64 and behaves the same way as the C64 Core on MiST/MiSTer.
Hysteria instead plays perfectly on the Ultimate 64.

Is there space for improvements ?


I've fixed the music for Turbo Outrun.
I'll upload a core for people to test when my daughter goes goes down for her nighttime sleep, it's too hard right now.

DanyPPC
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 709
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:02 am

Re: C64 Core

Postby DanyPPC » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:50 am

Good news ! Many thanks :wink:

yellperil
Atari nerd
Atari nerd
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:53 am

Re: C64 Core

Postby yellperil » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:07 pm

Hi there,

Here is my personal test core, it contains stuff I'm playing with and also the Turbo Outrun sound fix.
The fix seems to have also improve a number of other programs as well like the Eagle cracktro's.
( well I think they're closer to my recollection ).

It has not fixed GUTZ or HYSTERIA, from the sounds of the Ultimate64 info it's probably something else.
It's a pity the source code isn't available yet, it'd be nice to see what Gideon did to get HYSTERIA to work.

** EDIT ** Please see my post below for latest TEST core **

I did three things:

1) I merged in the CIA updates from the MIST core [as per slingshots post] ( this did not fix the sound ).
I compiled them in as part of the troubleshooting, just in case it had an effect.
Also so people can run their Emulator tests on the MiSTer, so test away.

https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-boar ... es/c64/rtl
Commits on Dec 19, 2018
[C64] CIA: oneshot mode reg is considered for 2 enable cycles : gyurco committed 20 days ago
[C64] CIA: WR_Delay logic is not used, not needed either: gyurco committed 20 days ago
[C64] CIA: timer fixes: gyurco committed 20 days ago

2) I looked through the latest U2+ code. The code's basically the same as the existing with some cosmetic changes ( which I put in, but it didnt' help ).
and a lot of functionality and hooks for the Ultimate64 only ( which I didn't put in ).

I then took them out of my core.

3) I made a very, very small change in the CIA code to do with the interrupt ( which fixed it ).

Anyhow, please test 1) and 3) and provide feedback, if they've made an improvement I'll submit them to the main core for inclusion.
I won't push the WR_Delay clean up, just the fixes.
Last edited by yellperil on Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 4636
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:51 am
Location: Russia/Taiwan

Re: C64 Core

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:10 pm

Thanks for working on the core.
I've pushed C1541 related changes i've made long time ago but didn't push yet.
So you also can test how it works before release.

slingshot
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 903
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:05 pm

Re: C64 Core

Postby slingshot » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:34 pm

yellperil wrote:Anyhow, please test 1) and 3) and provide feedback, if they've made an improvement I'll submit them to the main core for inclusion.
I won't push the WR_Delay clean up, just the fixes.


Great! Can you post the diff for 3) ? I'd like to test it.
1) only fixed some tests for me, but I admit I'm not really a C64 guy, so I don't know what was broken before. Of course would be good to know if it actually broke something.
2) would be safe, since WR_delay wasn't used at all (and as I read Wolfgang Lorenz's docs, it's not even correct).

I looked at the SID code changes in Ultimate II GitHub repo, but didn't find any relevant code for Hysteria, so I wonder where's the secret.

User avatar
thelatestmodel
Atariator
Atariator
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:51 pm

Re: C64 Core

Postby thelatestmodel » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:00 pm

yellperil wrote:
DanyPPC wrote:
thelatestmodel wrote:can anyone try Turbo Outrun on the C64 core ?


I was wrong! This morning I tried Turbo Out Run on my Ultimate 64 and behaves the same way as the C64 Core on MiST/MiSTer.
Hysteria instead plays perfectly on the Ultimate 64.

Is there space for improvements ?


I've fixed the music for Turbo Outrun.
I'll upload a core for people to test when my daughter goes goes down for her nighttime sleep, it's too hard right now.


Holy moly, fantastic! Thank you so much! :cheers:

yellperil
Atari nerd
Atari nerd
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:53 am

Re: C64 Core

Postby yellperil » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:06 am

slingshot wrote:
yellperil wrote:Anyhow, please test 1) and 3) and provide feedback, if they've made an improvement I'll submit them to the main core for inclusion.
I won't push the WR_Delay clean up, just the fixes.


Great! Can you post the diff for 3) ? I'd like to test it.
1) only fixed some tests for me, but I admit I'm not really a C64 guy, so I don't know what was broken before. Of course would be good to know if it actually broke something.
2) would be safe, since WR_delay wasn't used at all (and as I read Wolfgang Lorenz's docs, it's not even correct).

I looked at the SID code changes in Ultimate II GitHub repo, but didn't find any relevant code for Hysteria, so I wonder where's the secret.


A really small change . . . but good result.

Now the "Write Register" is also meant to be changed as well, however I notice that California Games refuses to load when I tried it, so I left it out.

https://github.com/yellperil/C64_MiSTer ... ff=unified
Last edited by yellperil on Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

yellperil
Atari nerd
Atari nerd
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:53 am

Re: C64 Core

Postby yellperil » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:12 am

Sorgelig wrote:Thanks for working on the core.
I've pushed C1541 related changes i've made long time ago but didn't push yet.
So you also can test how it works before release.


Hi Sorgelig,

Thanks, I have merged all of the CIA changes into the latest source and created a pull request.

I have also gone through and re-tested all of the programs I was using to test the CIA fixes and I have not found any issues with your 1541 updates.

Here is a test core for other people also to review just in case I have missed anything.

C64_1541_CIA_TEST_FINAL.zip


Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aixz
Atarian
Atarian
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:34 am

Re: C64 Core

Postby aixz » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:57 am

hello,

I don't know if it's the good place, but I see that all subjects regarding the c64 core are addressed in this thread, so here I go for some ideas/improvements that could be interresting for the next core release :)

- OSD: add the ability to choose a file as kernal (additionaly to c64 / c64gs)
- add a 2nd SID option, and possibility to load it at different addresses ($420, $e00 ...)

Cheers

slingshot
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 903
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:05 pm

Re: C64 Core

Postby slingshot » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:03 am

yellperil wrote:
A really small change . . . but good result.

Now the "Write Register" is also meant to be changed as well, however I notice that California Games refuses to load when I tried it, so I left it out.

https://github.com/yellperil/C64_MiSTer ... ff=unified


Great! I'll test it. Didn't you try just to remove "enable" from the int firing logic? That way it still would not have the interrupt delayed by 2 enable cycles, and no need to use the falling edge.

yellperil
Atari nerd
Atari nerd
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:53 am

Re: C64 Core

Postby yellperil » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:10 am

slingshot wrote:Great! I'll test it. Didn't you try just to remove "enable" from the int firing logic? That way it still would not have the interrupt delayed by 2 enable cycles, and no need to use the falling edge.


No didn’t try that, I’m not that familiar with HDLs in general so I don’t know of those types of implications. Just learning as I go. Good to know though, thanks for the knowledge sharing.


Return to “MiSTer”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests