MiSTer on PVM

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

MiSTer on PVM

Postby Newsdee » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:03 pm

So I finally was able to test my MiSTer with a real PVM. I used a VGA to BNC cable, and edited /config/MISTer.INI to disable scandoubler and provide composite sync on the VGA HSync pin.

Happy to say that most cores work really well. For some reason I couldn't get the Spectrum, Apple II, Mac and Moon Patrol to display properly. I suppose Mac and Moon Patrol have non standard video modes. For Spectrum and Apple I'm not sure, I guess that maybe its outputing a 50hz signal? But the TV is supposed to handle it.

Anyway with what works its already great. With a nice CRT the experience is as good as the original machines.:)

rittwage
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Re: MiSTer on PVM

Postby rittwage » Mon May 14, 2018 12:21 am

Yes, it works well on mine also, but not all cores support 15KHz. The Apple II is one of them... It was that way on MiST also.

NML32
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby NML32 » Mon May 14, 2018 12:25 am

I've been trying to keep track of the MiSTer cores that support RGB 15KHz.

MiSTer RGB Google Sheet

PhantombrainM
Atari User
Atari User

Postby PhantombrainM » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:55 pm

Hey NML32,

I use this adapter: http://arcadeforge.net/UMSA/UMSA-Ultima ... r::57.html

It's converting 15Khz RGBHV to 15Khz RGBS Scart. (Then I use Scart -> BNC for Sony PVM).

I intentionally used it for my raspberry pi to output 240P (works perfect). But now I gave it a shot with my Sony PVM (we have the same white one).
All cores who have Sorgelig's Scanline Option's work with that adapter and have no double image. (You have to set it to : none , with effects its double image).

For example C16, Aquarius, and so on is working for me with crystal clear image ....

The one's without scanline option's in the MISTer GUI (Apple II, Archie...) have a split image L/R with a black border in the middle.

So I think this adapter is good for better compatibility. Just for anyones confirmation.
Two beer or not two beer? - Shakesbeer.

NML32
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby NML32 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:56 pm

PhantombrainM wrote:Hey NML32,

All cores who have Sorgelig's Scanline Option's work with that adapter and have no double image. (You have to set it to : none , with effects its double image).

For example C16, Aquarius, and so on is working for me with crystal clear image ....

The ones without scanline option's in the MISTer GUI (Apple II, Archie...) have a split image L/R with a black border in the middle.

Thanks for the information about setting scanlines to "None" I didn't realize I had it enabled on a few of my cores when testing RGB.
I went back and updated my spreadsheet :cheers:

PhantombrainM
Atari User
Atari User

Postby PhantombrainM » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:53 pm

NML32 wrote:I went back and updated my spreadsheet :cheers:

Glad it helped!
I've got a question. Atari 2600 Core. A lot of games are cut off (Don.. Kon.) for example. River Raid seems stretched. (Pal Version worse than ntsc).

Is it my converter adapter or do you have the same problems?
Maybe I should order a plain VGA -> BNC Cable instead?

regards,
PhantombrainM

NML32
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby NML32 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:29 pm

PhantombrainM wrote:Glad it helped!
I've got a question. Atari 2600 Core. A lot of games are cut off (Don.. Kon.) for example. River Raid seems stretched. (Pal Version worse than ntsc).

Is it my converter adapter or do you have the same problems?
Maybe I should order a plain VGA -> BNC Cable instead?

regards,
PhantombrainM

Yes, a lot of the games are down too low on the screen so the bottom portion is cut off. For those games, I enable Underscan on the monitor. Underscan is enabled in the attached photos.

RiverRaid_RGB.JPG
DonkeyKong_RGB.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PhantombrainM
Atari User
Atari User

Postby PhantombrainM » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:54 pm

Thank you for the confirmation and for checking!

So it's a core problem (HDMI is correct!) and I don't need to buy the other cables then...

Regards,
PhantombrainM

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:24 pm

It's not exactly can be a core problem. It's possible that original video format. Atari 2600 has a flexible video format depending on how VDC is programmed by specific game.
That's why HDMI is handy as it re-frame it into standard format.

Return to “MiSTer”