Minimig (Amiga) core discussion

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: Minimig (Amiga) core discussion

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:04 pm

kolla wrote:It did for me, random reboots happens way too often.

64MB SDRAM?

apolkosnik
Atari User
Atari User

Postby apolkosnik » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:06 pm

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in playing with tg68k implementation. I've been toying with adding RTD instruction, since that's pretty much just RTS with immediate displacement for SP. My last attempt seemed to allow me to boot BestWB, but I wanted to get some more skilled people to look over my baby steps, and maybe find some way to add validation or unit tests.

Thanks,
Adam

sonycman
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby sonycman » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:19 pm

I need an advice too :roll:

SDRAM controller slot 2 currently is only for FAST memory accesses (banks other than zero), am I right?
Could I remove that slot completely, if the only FAST memory I would use is in DDR?

Looks like that didn't hurt much, except it reduces FAST memory by little amount...

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:27 pm

sonycman wrote:I need an advice too :roll:

SDRAM controller slot 2 currently is only for FAST memory accesses (banks other than zero), am I right?
Could I remove that slot completely, if the only FAST memory I would use is in DDR?

Looks like that didn't hurt much, except it reduces FAST memory by little amount...

Well, you can if you know how, but for what purpose?

Theoretically, can leave SDRAM only for ChipRAM. Then it will be possible to unload SDRAM access and use only single slot.
May be it can increase stability with not so good 64MB modules.

Ok. i will try such version.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:38 pm

One thing i never tested is which memory works faster as FastRAM: DDR or SDR.
Is there any memory performance test for Amiga?

witchmaster
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby witchmaster » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:02 pm

Sorgelig wrote:One thing i never tested is which memory works faster as FastRAM: DDR or SDR.
Is there any memory performance test for Amiga?

Maybe this one could work? Haven't tested it myself though.

http://aminet.net/package/util/moni/SSSpeed056

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:52 pm

Is there compatibility issue if system will have FastRAM only as Zorro III?

R4MS
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby R4MS » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:55 pm

Should be OK. We only have to disable the 8M and 16M Autoconf Memory boards in tg68k.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:02 pm

R4MS wrote:Should be OK. We only have to disable the 8M and 16M Autoconf Memory boards in tg68k.

i'm not talking about Minimig specifics.
Just talk about Amiga in general. Zorro III 256MB chunk will be above 24bit address space. I'm not sure if there any apps not able to use >24bit space.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:04 pm

Funny, with FastRAM in DDR3 only, Sysinfo shows even higher rate :) Not much higher, just about 5%.

sonycman
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby sonycman » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:23 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
R4MS wrote:Should be OK. We only have to disable the 8M and 16M Autoconf Memory boards in tg68k.

Zorro III 256MB chunk will be above 24bit address space. I'm not sure if there any apps not able to use >24bit space.

Can we redirect Zorro II memory to DDR as well?
Sorgelig wrote:Funny, with FastRAM in DDR3 only, Sysinfo shows even higher rate :) Not much higher, just about 5%.

Sounds great!

Is DDR fast memory cached, just like its SDR part?

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:59 pm

sonycman wrote:Can we redirect Zorro II memory to DDR as well?

all fastram will be in ddr

sonycman wrote:Is DDR fast memory cached, just like its SDR part?

yes.

R4MS
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby R4MS » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:49 pm

Sorgelig wrote: I'm not sure if there any apps not able to use >24bit space.

There have been early apps that used the upper byte of the address registers to store stuff. Those will obviously not work on a system with a 32bit address bus. If tg68k implements this correctly, 68000 and 68010 should only use 24 bits for addresses and therefore be unable to see Zorro III FastRAM.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:05 pm

R4MS wrote:There have been early apps that used the upper byte of the address registers to store stuff. Those will obviously not work on a system with a 32bit address bus. If tg68k implements this correctly, 68000 and 68010 should only use 24 bits for addresses and therefore be unable to see Zorro III FastRAM.

i will leave it to you :)
There will be new FastRAM options set: 2/4/8/256/384
First three are Zorro II.

R4MS
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby R4MS » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:16 pm

apolkosnik wrote: tg68k .... add validation or unit tests.

Toni Wilen has a developed a testsuit for 68k cpus: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=98747

BlockABoots
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby BlockABoots » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:35 am

Was the option to adjust the size of the screen removed from recent versions of Minimig?, i dont see it in the Audio & video options anymore?

apolkosnik
Atari User
Atari User

Postby apolkosnik » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:39 am

Awesome, thank you!
R4MS wrote:
apolkosnik wrote: tg68k .... add validation or unit tests.

Toni Wilen has a developed a testsuit for 68k cpus: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=98747

R4MS
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby R4MS » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:52 am

BlockABoots wrote:Was the option to adjust the size of the screen removed from recent versions of Minimig?, i dont see it in the Audio & video options anymore?

I just used it today on the current release.

CmputrBlu
Atarian
Atarian

Postby CmputrBlu » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:39 am

Sinclair wrote:
Sinclair wrote:
Sorgelig wrote:Test version:
Minimig.zip
Some fixes and tweaks for 64MB modules.
It's absolutely required to update MiSTer binary and Menu core which will detect the module size!

Works fine!
Thank you.

I am sorry to say now that although it boot without problems the system has become unstable with continuous Worbench errors and strange behaviors in some games.

I had to go back to versión 20190717 :(

Having the same issue. Just built the thing and downloaded the latest core and while Workbench would boot, running almost any program gurus...with what might be memory related meditation numbers. Also noticed screen glitches on the one game I tested. Going back to 20190717 did make it all better. The last two updates are the problem. :(

This with 32 meg SDRAM

GoingDown
Atariator
Atariator

Postby GoingDown » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:51 am

apolkosnik wrote:Hi, I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in playing with tg68k implementation. I've been toying with adding RTD instruction, since that's pretty much just RTS with immediate displacement for SP. My last attempt seemed to allow me to boot BestWB, but I wanted to get some more skilled people to look over my baby steps, and maybe find some way to add validation or unit tests.

You probably know, that bestwb boots if you delete libs/68020.library? I deleted also 68030, 68040 and 68060 libraries just in case.

apolkosnik
Atari User
Atari User

Postby apolkosnik » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:19 am

Absolutely. I got the cputester going, it's really useful at this stage.
GoingDown wrote:
apolkosnik wrote:Hi, I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in playing with tg68k implementation. I've been toying with adding RTD instruction, since that's pretty much just RTS with immediate displacement for SP. My last attempt seemed to allow me to boot BestWB, but I wanted to get some more skilled people to look over my baby steps, and maybe find some way to add validation or unit tests.

You probably know, that bestwb boots if you delete libs/68020.library? I deleted also 68030, 68040 and 68060 libraries just in case.

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:19 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
kolla wrote:It did for me, random reboots happens way too often.

64MB SDRAM?

No, just same old 32MB.

I noticed new release today, with only chipram on SDRAM, looking forward to testing that tomorrow (my MiSTer is in my office at work currently).
Many thanks :)
-- kolla

kolla
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kolla » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:23 pm

Excellent news! I can test - I have some test binaries from Oliver Roberts of WarpDT and IBrowse team, turned out the IBrowse 2.5 license keys could not be decrypted properly with the tg68 020 implementation, so he made a few test binaries to figure out where it fails. If you like I can send you those, or test your tg68 core with registered IBrowse 2.5. Another culprit is kingcon.device 40+ from Cosmos...
-- kolla

apolkosnik
Atari User
Atari User

Postby apolkosnik » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:54 pm

kolla wrote:Excellent news! I can test - I have some test binaries from Oliver Roberts of WarpDT and IBrowse team, turned out the IBrowse 2.5 license keys could not be decrypted properly with the tg68 020 implementation, so he made a few test binaries to figure out where it fails. If you like I can send you those, or test your tg68 core with registered IBrowse 2.5. Another culprit is kingcon.device 40+ from Cosmos...

Awesome, cputester that R4MS mentioned works pretty well for my testing so far, at this stage it's pretty much behaving like RTS, with illegal instruction trap added if it runs on 68000. I'm trying to figure out how to add the displacement to the stack pointer. I'm looking at how LINK is implemented, since it also has the part that adds immediate value to SP. I'll report back once it passes cputester tests.

xolod79
Atarian
Atarian

Postby xolod79 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:32 pm

Gentlemen, let's discuss what is missing to transfer the m68k processor emulation to the HPS side. (Hybrid emulation)
I will write my thoughts on this topic.
1. FastRAM is fully sided with HPS. Since nobody has access to it except the CPU.
2. For the lower 16mega bytes of memory in which Kiskstart (ROM), Chipmem, IO region are located, it is necessary to make a bridge between FPGA and HPS.
3. CPU control signals: Interrupt control, Processor status, Reset, HALT, Bus control and others. Here you need to tear apart separately from each case separately. But it will be necessary to determine in the m68k emulation code where they can be obtained.
For starters, we can build https://github.com/aranym/aranym
as a simple Linux application. Fortunately, there is now a framebuffer. And then try tranfer the functionality on the FPGA.

Return to “MiSTer”