Minimig (Amiga) core discussion

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

eris
Atariator
Atariator

Re: Minimig (Amiga) core discussion

Postby eris » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:36 am

Sorgelig wrote:I think SD card is simply in wrong format.
You need to use tool to prepare the SD card and put MiSTer system files there.

You cannot simply format SD card and use.

Is that specific to Minimig? The SD card works for Mister and Galaga.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:02 am

Nope. If it works with one core then it should work with other.

eris
Atariator
Atariator

Postby eris » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:35 am

Sorgelig wrote:Nope. If it works with one core then it should work with other.

Okay, then I must have incorrectly built the execution environment or something is wrong with the 32MB SDRAM.

1) If I ran the memory check for 2 hours with no errors does that guarantee that the full 32MB of RAM is present and error free?
2) Since I'm running out of ideas, I'm about to go through the entire Mister / Minimig install process step-by-step to recheck my work. Could you give me a link to the definitive install guide? I know I've probably done something wrong, but I just need to recheck every step against the known good install guide.

thanks.

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:58 pm

BBond007 wrote:Probably hardware Limitation. There has never been an easy way to read Amiga formatted floppy disks on the PC or MAC under UAE or just in general. Custom hardware seems necessary. The only thing I am aware of that does this is The CatWeasel -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Individua ... _Catweasel

The Armiga also does it, but I doubt its using a USB floppy.

SuperCard Pro can create .adf images of unprotected disks, and .scp images of protected disks (for any computer). Most mainstream emulators now have support for .scp image file format directly.
I am the flux ninja

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:13 pm

So, I am finally getting around to setting up the Minimig core, but I can't get it to work. The core doesn't recognize any Amiga ROM image that is not labeled as "KICK.ROM" (all upper case)... that much I figured out, however, any ROM image that I use results in the display being doubled with the upper set of text shifted and in red, reporting that it can't find the kickstart image. If I delete the KICK.ROM file I get the normal single color (white) text display with the same message.

If I go to the MEMORY options and press ENTER over the ROM option, it says "NO FILES".

So, what is the trick to using an actual Amiga ROM and get this to boot? It does recognize the hardfiles I have been using the WinUAE, so once I get past the ROM issue I think it will work.

Thanks!

:::EDIT::::

For anyone reading this... you MUST have the KICK.ROM (or AROS.ROM) in the ROOT of the SD card. I have individual folders for the Arcade and Computer cores, with a folder for Amiga, Mac, PC, etc. for each of the computer emulations. Apparently you can't have the KICK.ROM file where it makes sense - it has to be in root.
I am the flux ninja

mattsoft
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby mattsoft » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:20 am

JimDrew wrote:So, I am finally getting around to setting up the Minimig core, but I can't get it to work. The core doesn't recognize any Amiga ROM image that is not labeled as "KICK.ROM" (all upper case)... that much I figured out, however, any ROM image that I use results in the display being doubled with the upper set of text shifted and in red, reporting that it can't find the kickstart image. If I delete the KICK.ROM file I get the normal single color (white) text display with the same message.

If I go to the MEMORY options and press ENTER over the ROM option, it says "NO FILES".

So, what is the trick to using an actual Amiga ROM and get this to boot? It does recognize the hardfiles I have been using the WinUAE, so once I get past the ROM issue I think it will work.

Thanks!

:::EDIT::::

For anyone reading this... you MUST have the KICK.ROM (or AROS.ROM) in the ROOT of the SD card. I have individual folders for the Arcade and Computer cores, with a folder for Amiga, Mac, PC, etc. for each of the computer emulations. Apparently you can't have the KICK.ROM file where it makes sense - it has to be in root.

I put my kickstarts (and everything else) in /Amiga and select them for my saved configs. I have a 1.3 config and a 3.1 config -- either require a KS called KICK.ROM. So not sure what's going on with your situation.

BBond007
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby BBond007 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:44 pm

JimDrew,

Once you get your Minimig core working would it be possible for you to see why Fusion won't run? I've tried and never gotten it or SS to run...

I bought my copy of Fusion from Compuquick. Is it too late for tech support?

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:19 pm

The problem with not running FUSION or Shapeshifter is that the Minimig core is lacking a bunch of stuff necessary. There are missing 020+ instructions, and more importantly, virtually none of the exception handlers work.

The reason I set up the Minimig core is to check FUSION. Replay's soft core also has this problem, but it is being corrected right now.
I am the flux ninja

BBond007

Postby BBond007 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:06 am

JimDrew wrote:The problem with not running FUSION or Shapeshifter is that the Minimig core is lacking a bunch of stuff necessary. There are missing 020+ instructions, and more importantly, virtually none of the exception handlers work.

Thanks,

I appreciate the explanation.

I won't delete my MAC virtuald HD files that I have stored in an Amiga virtual HD just incase some day the necessary stuff is added to the Minimg core.

diggie
Atariator
Atariator

Postby diggie » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:10 pm

I loaded Body Blows Galactic (non-AGA) last night and while it ran, the display was almost unwatchable due to rapid vertical shifting +/- 1 pixel.

I would guess the game is using an interlaced mode and maybe MiSTer HDMI/scaler isn't handling it very nicely, but I don't know for certain.

diggie
Atariator
Atariator

Postby diggie » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:01 am

Okay so Project X Special Edition is doing the same thing, I am guessing many classic Team 17 games might. Sadly these are many of my favorite games.

I found the problem goes away when switching the core option to NTSC, but then the game timing is wrong.

Problem shows when running specific PAL timing games on US/NTSC timing display over HDMI.

mattsoft
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby mattsoft » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:22 pm

diggie wrote:I loaded Body Blows Galactic (non-AGA) last night and while it ran, the display was almost unwatchable due to rapid vertical shifting +/- 1 pixel.

I would guess the game is using an interlaced mode and maybe MiSTer HDMI/scaler isn't handling it very nicely, but I don't know for certain.

Are you using the floppy or WHDload version?

I ask because Body Blow Galactic (AGA) WHDload does exactly what you say using a basic PAL 1200 config (020, AGA, etc...). However, if I run the game from floppy (TOSEC I think) with the same config, it plays fine.

I'm running MiSTer through an HDMI monitor.

albconde
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby albconde » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:51 pm

First thanks for the new screen adjustment for minimig.
Tested with agony ,Works great .
But I have some doubts about the use.
I can stored an adjustment , but i can have two stored adjustment , and change between them ? I dont see an option to select a store adjustment

For now the adjustment seem to be stored by resolution , and only one for each ?
It is possible that these adjusment also have the setting of 16/9 or 4/3 .

For example , start miniming with a workbench , in this part the better is a 4/3 resoluton with all horizontal lines , go to an WHD game for example agony ,the intro is in diferent resolution , but ingame resolution is equal to workbench , the game has horizontal black lines , adjust the new option ( 16/9 and quit most of the black lines in the botton , trying to keep aspect ratio) ,and store the adjustment.
If I return to workbenck i dont see all screen , i need to return to the original adjustment ( backspace) and lost the changes stored?

thanks again for your work .

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:21 am

Adjustment has no relation to aspect ratio! You simply misuse the feature. Aspect ratio is set separately in OSD setting.
I've added adjustment because Amiga has no strict edges of visible area. So you set the visible area per resolution and then control aspect ratio by OSD option like in any other core.

ch570512
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ch570512 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:26 am

Hello

I run the Workbench on an old VGA monitor 4/3 at 1280x1024 with "SuperHiRes Interlace"
Worked well with the old scaler, but now the letters are sort of cut off.
It seems to me that the pixels do not match the resolution as well as before.
Maybe someone else has experienced this.

Best regards
Thorsten

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:42 pm

It's because new scaler uses Near Neighbor filter by default.
Switch to custom and letters will be good. They can be further improved if you will load filter from external file.
viewtopic.php?f=117&t=34848
You need to choose one of Lanczos filters.

ch570512
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ch570512 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:46 pm

Thank you! That did the trick.

yarko
Atariator
Atariator

Postby yarko » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:18 pm

Minimig_20181208:

Dyna Blaster: I use VGA output , only black screen at game intro. Earlier versions works OK.
http://www.planetemu.net/rom/commodore- ... ft-cr-vf-8

DrOG
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby DrOG » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:21 am

Dyna Blaster/Bomberman is a tricky game, one of the few that are not compatible with BenQ BL-912 monitor with original hardware (Amiga 500) as well ...

Perhaps this is the reason why:
Additionally, since some low-level Amiga settings can be software-modified, and some features can be reprogrammed on the fly while the video beam is moving, the Amiga presents an additional variety of "non-standard" cases. For example, the game Dynablaster uses a CPU-controlled screen refresh (by writing to the VPOSW register), while the game BC Kid sets a 57 Hz refresh rate that is neither NTSC nor PAL.

I found this explanation here:
http://www.retroplatform.com/kb/19-115

Both of them (Dyna Blaster & B.C. Kid) are Hudson games.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:37 am

something wrong with VBlank in this game.
I will investigate it.

Mmm
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Mmm » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:54 pm

Hi,
with all the new cores released in the last days i am getting a black screen and leds turned off. Amiga, Nes, Snes and Megadrive don't work for me. Even earlier verions of these cores don't work for me anymore.
Is there a fix ? Can i get back to earlier versions of the mister and minimig core ?
Thanks in advance.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:16 pm

Mmm wrote:Hi,
with all the new cores released in the last days i am getting a black screen and leds turned off. Amiga, Nes, Snes and Megadrive don't work for me. Even earlier verions of these cores don't work for me anymore.
Is there a fix ? Can i get back to earlier versions of the mister and minimig core ?
Thanks in advance.

do you mean all leds on I/O board goes off once you load these cores? If so, then something happens unrelated to new scaler.
Of course you can go to any versions.

Mmm
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Mmm » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:35 pm

Yes leds go off when i load the cores.
I tried the Megadrive fix that i found in this forum and now it works. Minimig, snes and nes can't put it to work again...tried mister and minimig different cores.
I ll try again,
Thank you.

vanfanel
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby vanfanel » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:25 pm

I have noticed the latest version does not make 50Hz scrolls smooth anymore. It's as if PAL software was running on an NTSC video mode. Is the new scaler 60Hz only?

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:02 am

vanfanel wrote:I have noticed the latest version does not make 50Hz scrolls smooth anymore. It's as if PAL software was running on an NTSC video mode. Is the new scaler 60Hz only?

This problem is already reported and will be fixed in next MiSTer release.

Return to “MiSTer”