Minimig (Amiga) core discussion

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

BBond007
Atari User
Atari User

Re: Minimig (Amiga) core discussion

Postby BBond007 » Tue May 15, 2018 3:51 am

Sorgelig wrote:Minimig is one of few cores with metastability issues which i'm not able to fix yet.
Nothing wrong with your SDRAM.
Situation may improve if you use heatsink with fan.

I do have a heatsink and a small fan (from Jim Drew - cmbstuff.com) but my fan is not located directly over the heatsink due to logistics :)

I left the MiSTer off for several hours and did a cold boot before trying those programs, but I do think the artifacting gets even worse once the board runs for a while. Still, switching back to Minimig_20180304 (no matter how long the board had been running) corrects all of the artifacts and glitches but at the expense of all these nice new features you have implemented.

Thanks for making this project possible :cheers:
Last edited by BBond007 on Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boarder01
Atarian
Atarian

Postby boarder01 » Tue May 15, 2018 2:22 pm

Hi,

I try to boot with some .hdf file that I make with WinUAE and snother from http://classicwb.abime.net (system.hdf) and I have always the same message: "Not a DOS disk in device DH0". In WinUAE all image work fine.
Have you an Idea?

Thanks

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Tue May 15, 2018 8:24 pm

the one from http://classicwb.abime.net is header-less HDF.
I will check if it possible to correctly support it. But if you create the HDF image by yourself in WinUAE, make sure you clicked RDB mode button while creating the image.

mattsoft
Atari User
Atari User

Postby mattsoft » Tue May 15, 2018 9:54 pm

mattsoft wrote:
Sorgelig wrote:
mattsoft wrote:As for the non-working HDFs, they are 4GB each (with < 2GB partitions) -- so a little big for me to upload. I was successful just creating new HDFs in WinUAE, partitioning and formatting in MiSTer, then moving back to WinUAE and copying my files over. Back in business again.

Getting non-working HDF files (worked in previous version) is some kind important to understand if there is a bug in new version, or these HDFs have really strange parameters. Try to RAR it to see if size will be reduced greatly or not.

Can you at least give me the log from console when you start Minimig with non-working HDF? There should be messages from HDF detecting procedure.

as i've mentioned earlier: When you do HDD initialization procedure in HDToolBox, you need to watch how many sectors per track (blocks per track) are set! For me HDToolBox tends to set 256 sectors which is wrong! CHS cannot have 256 sectors per track. The maximum value is 255. So, incompatible HDF may have this issue.

OK, i'll see what I can do when I get home from work tonight.

Well dang it, it looks like I deleted the troublesome HDFs from both the SD card and my PC. Ugh, sorry. If something like this happens again, I'll keep them around for diagnostics.

Doozer
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Doozer » Sat May 19, 2018 4:53 pm

NegSol wrote:The pixel was always there. It was also present on MiST minimig core. So not really related to the new built.

Sorry NegSol but it is not the behaviour I have experienced through the different releases of the Minimig core. With version 20180519 the pixel artefact on boot screen is not present anymore. Are you still seeing it with this release?

Sorgelig your are doing a wonderful job and I thanks you for all the time you are spending on this project. Well done!

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sat May 19, 2018 5:44 pm

I think, the pixel on the boot screen was the shift from right part (it was changing when diskette was moving) which i've just fixed.

Doozer
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Doozer » Sat May 19, 2018 7:51 pm

Sorgelig wrote:I think, the pixel on the boot screen was the shift from right part (it was changing when diskette was moving) which i've just fixed.

It was indeed blinking in sync with the floppy animation. I confirm that the few games in which I have experienced the column offset issue are now properly displayed.

Was the issue visibility impacted by the combination of core (Amiga ouptut) and final display resolutions (in my case 1280x1024)? This could explain my experience of the problem compared to other people with different output resolution.

In any case, thanks form having fixed it.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sat May 19, 2018 8:05 pm

It has no relation to HDMI resolution.

silverfox0786
Atariator
Atariator

Postby silverfox0786 » Mon May 21, 2018 4:40 pm

just adding this here as i had issues myself

The CHS drive size issue

Problem: If, on a system limited to CHS addressing, you access a drive that was initialized and partitioned on an LBA capable system, you will get in trouble if the last partition of the device is extended to the very end of the drive.

Applies to: Devices of any size up to 7,87GiB (including 8GB CF/SD cards), initialized in any way in WinUAE, or in OS3.5/3.9 HDToolbox on real HW, and then used somewhere else without a scsi.device patch.
Also applies to 16/32GB SD cards used without scsi.device patch on clever ide-sd adapters, and to IDE devices initialized on a SCSI-IDE adapter with OS3.5/9, and moved to IDE without scsi.device patch.

Reason: Total drive size by LBA is exact, but by CHS it is limited to multiples of Heads and Sectors-per-track.
It is common for devices to report the full size with LBA, and a slightly smaller size with CHS. Hence, with CHS you are not able to address the last blocks of the drive.
WinUAE does not retrieve the size information directly from your device, but uses what's provided by Windows, so even when using WinUAE's IDE HD-controller you get the full size.

Consequence: With FFS or regular PFS you will get read/write errors when you attempt to access the last area. (IE when the last partition is ~half full, as partitions fill up from the middle)
With SFS or PFS AiO the last partition will not mount.
(It will not destroy data, you'll simply be unable to read from or write to this area.)

Solution: Patch scsi.device, or reduce the RDB size definition by 2 MiB or more, or leave 2 MiB or more unused at the end of the drive.
Or you can initialize the drive on a real amiga with WB3.1, or with OS3.5/3.9 using HDToolbox from WB3.1 or older.
It's just the drive definitions that need to be done in the old version, the partitioning can be done in WinUAE or OS3.5/3.9 HDToolbox.
(This 'old hdtoolbox in OS3.5/3.9' scenario is not thorougly tested, but as long as HDToolbox reports maximum 16 Heads and 63 Bytes per track you're fine)

Why 2MiB? 2MiB is largest discrepancy between CHS and LBA size. For ATA compliant devices it's only 504KB (16 H x 63 SPT x 512 B), but up to 2MiB within CHS theoretically (with 256 Heads).

If you want to check if your existing drive is affected, run a program that can read the RDB and check if the stored CHS values have more heads than 16 or more Blocks/Sectors per track than 63.

Update: A related issue submitted by Thomas is that some SD/CF cards with very poor firmware forget that the first LBA block is number 0, and consequently tries to access one block too far.
This would also fail with the same consequences when used in LBA capable system

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Mon May 21, 2018 5:28 pm

As i've answered in FB, this info is not really correct. Probably it's more related to SD card controller than IDE.
with CHS, the max heads is 16, max sectors per track is 255, max cylinders is 65536
Max addressed size with CHS: 16*255*65536*512=136902082560 bytes ~130GB

As a golden rule - always leave the space at the end of HDD as unpartitioned. Windows usually keeps 8MB at the end unpartitioned. Amiga probably doesn't care, so you have to take care when you partition a new drive either it's real HDD or image.

The max HDD size in latest minimig fully depends on Amiga software as hardware allows to use the whole CHS range. I suggest to use IDEFix'97. It adds many workarounds for large drives and doesn't require additional scsi.device patches. And it adds support for 4x IDE.
Actually 130GB support is not really required. Somewhere around 32GB should be enough for whole Amiga games/demos collection (WHDLoad). And 4x drives can be connected.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Mon May 21, 2018 7:48 pm

I found the potential issue with disk initialization when you change CHS values manually. Also, if you press "Read Configuration" button in disk initialization dialog of HDToolBox, it may redefine CHS values to its liking.
Hence new MiSTer update. Now CHS values will be automatically updated in MiSTer when Minimig write to RDB header. So, you can choose what CHS to write while disk initialization. If HDToolBox automatically change the CHS values, check if resulting disk size become bigger than image file, and correct the number of cylinders if new size is bigger! Create partition beyond the image size eventually will corrupt the data at some point.

silverfox0786
Atariator
Atariator

Postby silverfox0786 » Tue May 22, 2018 9:22 am

Had alot of trouble creating a HDD image that would work in MiSTer. finally managed it with some suggestions and luck.

Thought i'd put here what i did to help others. It was suggested to use Kickstart rom 3.9 because i couldnt see the hdd in kickstart 3.1 and hdtoolbox WB install Floppy. so i grabed my 1MB kick3.9 and added that.

I know that WB3.1 Floppy and Kick 3.9 dont work. this i noticed on both real hardware and minimig. So here is where i lucked out.

I had a 512MB image of OS3.9 that i used on WinUAE, i transfered that to MiSTer and to my luck it booted

I added a fresh RAW few Megs smaller that 4GB hdf (created in WinUAE but not partitioned or formated) file as Primary Slave, and it showed up in hdtoolbox of OS3.9 which it was not doing in OS3.1.

From there i manged to partition is correctly within MiSTer, and format it.

From there i set is as Primary Master enabled Kickstart 3.1 and Inserted Install 3.1 Floppy and it booted HDD was present and i was able to install Workbench 3.1 just fine

No more dreaded UDH0 is not a valid DOS

diwou
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby diwou » Tue May 22, 2018 9:49 am

This also works with the WB3.1 by clicking on the Pictogram of HDTools after booting and then on Icon and then Information. Then change the line "SCSI_DEVICE_NAME=scsi.device" to "SCSI_DEVICE_NAME=uaehf.device". Then start HDTools. Now he also finds the records and you can continue as usual.

diwou
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby diwou » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:56 pm

How can I use the secondary IDE port? I have 3 hard disk images that also work on the primary port. Only no matter what image I mount on the secondary port, it is not recognized by WB3.1. For example, if I mount an image running on the Primary IDE Controller on the Secondary IDE Control, the disk is not displayed in the Workbench.

Do I have to make any more settings?

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:55 pm

diwou wrote:How can I use the secondary IDE port? I have 3 hard disk images that also work on the primary port. Only no matter what image I mount on the secondary port, it is not recognized by WB3.1. For example, if I mount an image running on the Primary IDE Controller on the Secondary IDE Control, the disk is not displayed in the Workbench.

Do I have to make any more settings?

It's exactly the same as on real Amiga with 4xIDE adapter.
I've mentioned already, that IDEFix'97 is required.

desin24
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby desin24 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:16 pm

hello
would it be possible to get xfs working ?

it is related to QDOS4amiga and QDOS Classic for Amiga
QDOS4amiga can be found on aminet and here : http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/emu/index.html

QDOS Classic for Amiga can also be found here: http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/emu/index.html
the files needed are
UEAQLKICK.rom http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/emu/UAEQLADF.zip
utils disk : http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/emu/UTILS3v25.zip

the emulators work but no disk access

thanks in advance

Markus

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:56 pm

i don' know what is xfs.. If it's file system, then it's not related to HW and should work.

desin24
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby desin24 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:56 am

its a layer for handling alien disk-formats

http://aminet.net/disk/misc/xfs.readme

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:56 am

It will be too complicated to add support as it requires FDD low level data exchange. It will require to convert image files to FM/MFM data on the fly to feed into Minimig.
Recent Minimig releases for MiSTer include TCP/IP support which allows to run FTP server on Amiga and exchange the data with PC using FTP client. Speed is not fast, but it's pretty much reliable data exchange between Amiga and PC.

MiSTer doesn't support physical FDD, so there is no much difference if you make ADF images with required files or PC FDD images with the same files.

wins04
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby wins04 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:16 am

I've got a problem running Classic Workbench 3.9. In my WinUAE it runs perfekt. In my MiSTer it won't start. My regular WB3.9 works normally.
I have no ideas left.

wins04
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby wins04 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:50 am

I've got a problem to run Classic Workbench 3.9 on my MiSTer. The image works perfectly on WinUAE. I have no problems with my
installation of Workbench 3.9.

When I start my Classic Workbench installation the dislay remains black. The system refuses to start. Can anybody help?

Greetings,

wins4

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:23 am

Try to start with startup script skipped.
If you installed it in WinUAE, then most likely your HDD image is connected through uaehf device driver which of course won't work on MiSTer.
It's ok to run images from real HW on WinUAE - it usually works. But opposite way from WinUAE to real HW - it may not work as WinUAE injects its own devices/drivers.
I suggest to install WB on MiSTer. At least you can do initial installation, and then can move to WinUAE for easier additional apps installation.

wins04
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby wins04 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:09 pm

Thank you for your quick reaction. I'll try it out. I am looking forward to it.

wins04
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby wins04 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:32 pm

I tried to set HDF-file of Classic Workbench 3.9 as boot drive. The system doesn‘t boot anyway. So I can‘t skip the procedure.

gnasher666
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby gnasher666 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:49 pm

Hi,

I'm having troubles with Pinball Fantasies - when I exit a level it must try and save the highscore and I get an error WriteTrack Code: #27.

I've checked the obvious - nothing is write protected on the SDCard nor is the SDCard write protected. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Return to “MiSTer”