Minimig (Amiga) core discussion

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

foxp4v
Retro freak
Retro freak

Re: Minimig (Amiga) core discussion

Postby foxp4v » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:56 am

Hello i've some issue, seems graphical corruption, it does with several games see screenshot
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ono
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ono » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:04 am

BBond007 wrote:With this monitor driver you can get the following in the DisplayMode program:
- HGFX - 1024x768
- HD720 - 1280x720
--> http://aminet.net/package/driver/moni/HighGFX40_6

I was experimenting recently with running WB on Mister AGA with some higher resolution, but failed. The problem is that HD720 is running at 47Hz which is not accepted by my Samsung TV. Is there any way to tweak HighGFX40_6's HD720 to make it run at 60Hz? I presume it would be to high pixel clock for real AGA, but how about MiSTer AGA?
Grown up playing/learning to program Atari 130XE. FM synth and tech nerd. | github.com/nanoant

BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BBond007 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:14 pm

ono wrote:I was experimenting recently with running WB on Mister AGA with some higher resolution, but failed. The problem is that HD720 is running at 47Hz which is not accepted by my Samsung TV. Is there any way to tweak HighGFX40_6's HD720 to make it run at 60Hz? I presume it would be to high pixel clock for real AGA, but how about MiSTer AGA?

Keep in mind these modes are also Interlaced. You must send the VGA through the scaler...

MiSTer.INI:

Code: Select all

[MINIMIG]
vga_scaler=1   
video_mode=0

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:17 pm

No way it will run HD720 on 60hz. Pixel clock is fixed to 28MHz. Even if your monitor could handle 47Hz, it wouldn't probably handle 720i resolution anyway. You need true multisync monitor from Commodore to display such resolution over VGA.
For MiSTer these resolutions are supposed to be output over HDMI through scaler.

apolkosnik
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby apolkosnik » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:21 pm

ono wrote:... The problem is that HD720 is running at 47Hz which is not accepted by my Samsung TV. Is there any way to tweak HighGFX40_6's HD720 to make it run at 60Hz? I presume it would be to high pixel clock for real AGA, but how about MiSTer AGA?

If your Samsung is picky about displaying the feed from MiSTer, then you should experiment with MiSTer.ini

Lroby74
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Lroby74 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:47 pm

foxp4v wrote:Hello i've some issue, seems graphical corruption, it does with several games see screenshot

I have same issues :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBIbvwqs2d0

And Rygar AGA and Pinball Illusions 1.5 AGA don't works neither (these two now works both fine on Mist)

Maybe something needs to be fixed on Minimig for Mister

apolkosnik
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby apolkosnik » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:44 pm

foxp4v wrote:Hello i've some issue, seems graphical corruption, it does with several games see screenshot

Just to clarify, the graphical corruption you mentioned is appearing as single-color horizontal lines?

Lroby74
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Lroby74 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:20 pm

apolkosnik wrote:

Just to clarify, the graphical corruption you mentioned is appearing as single-color horizontal lines?

You mean like those that you can see in video that i had linked before?

apolkosnik
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby apolkosnik » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:30 pm

Lroby74 wrote:
apolkosnik wrote:

Also, any idea on which release or when these issues might have started to surface? I'm just trying to narrow down the window for review.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:42 pm

Lroby74 wrote:Rygar AGA and Pinball Illusions 1.5 AGA don't works neither

they work in current source version.

Lroby74
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Lroby74 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:17 pm

Sorgelig wrote:

hoping to see new Minimig release very soon then! [smilie=greencolorz4_pdt_12.gif]

harryd91
Atarian
Atarian

Postby harryd91 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:24 pm

apolkosnik wrote:
Lroby74 wrote:
apolkosnik wrote:Just to clarify, the graphical corruption you mentioned is appearing as single-color horizontal lines?

Also, any idea on which release or when these issues might have started to surface? I'm just trying to narrow down the window for review.

Not OP but im getting this problem as well. Havent been able to use any of the cores since the clock speed was increased but it was fine before that and since its been decreased again it has this issue

apolkosnik
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby apolkosnik » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:36 pm

Lroby74 wrote:
Sorgelig wrote:

hoping to see new Minimig release very soon then! [smilie=greencolorz4_pdt_12.gif]

Here's something you can try, includes the fix to tg68k from today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lroby74
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Lroby74 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:55 am

apolkosnik wrote:
Lroby74 wrote:
Sorgelig wrote:they work in current source version.

Thank you very much, this evening will test it!
Yellow_Colorz_PDT_16 Yellow_Colorz_PDT_16

foxp4v
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby foxp4v » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:09 pm

apolkosnik wrote:

Mostly yes, in some games is more frequent, like the First monkey Island, in others is less presente. In Rygar remake it's all corrupted and the game freezer, don't know if it's related. Will try the test versione posted. Another strange behavior is that's impossible to create a configuration with kickstart 1.3 and no slow ram, It crash the core.

foxp4v
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby foxp4v » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:03 pm

I've made some test with the testing version:

- PINBALL ILLUSIONS now works! Great! Tried ADF 1.5 and WHDLOAD versions, both work.

- Graphical glitches still present, it's more easy to see them in the whdload version of Monkey Island (i'm using the italian version), i've seen them also in pinball illusions whdload version.

- RYGAR AGA stiill not working good (final release) horrible graphical corruption or freeze.

- Trying to make a config with kick 1.3 and any amount of chip ram without slow ram not work, the kickstart not boot.

- Secret Of Monkey Island is a good test for some bugs: Trying a config like A600 with ADF version result in a crash during the intro with the music, tryng an A1200 config with ADF version corrupt the sound.

- These are others test that i do and fail in every release: ADF versions of Jim Power and Pang! crash when is expected to go in game instead. The AGA fixed versions (so the whdload too) ADF instead works correctly with a base A1200 config

Thanks for your time.

Lroby74
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Lroby74 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:56 pm

apolkosnik wrote:
Lroby74 wrote:
Sorgelig wrote:they work in current source version.

Same behaviour (or worse) on Monkey Island 1, i think that problem may be too much low clock used con SDRAM..

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:13 pm

These glitches are due to overall core metastability problem. It's not related to bugs. You just happen to have de10 working less stable in that build. Other seed value may get better result. And of course cooling for de10 reduces such tolerances.
For me Rygar, Pinball Illusions, Monkey Island - all work fine without glitches.

foxp4v
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby foxp4v » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:57 pm

Sorgelig wrote:These glitches are due to overall core metastability problem. It's not related to bugs. You just happen to have de10 working less stable in that build. Other seed value may get better result. And of course cooling for de10 reduces such tolerances.
For me Rygar, Pinball Illusions, Monkey Island - all work fine without glitches.

Not sure to have understood (too technical for me, sorry), but more or less three version ago i've never had glitches or graphical artifacts, hope next versions i'll be more lucky :-D the other issues i've talked about, not related to graphical glitches, are bugs of the core? Thank you again.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:44 am

foxp4v wrote:
Sorgelig wrote:These glitches are due to overall core metastability problem. It's not related to bugs. You just happen to have de10 working less stable in that build. Other seed value may get better result. And of course cooling for de10 reduces such tolerances.

Not sure to have understood (too technical for me, sorry), but more or less three version ago i've never had glitches or graphical artifacts, hope next versions i'll be more lucky :-D the other issues i've talked about, not related to graphical glitches, are bugs of the core? Thank you again.

Minimig doesn't emulate A500 in terms of speed. So if there are some old games expecting slow A500, then they may work incorrectly. One of the main reason of WHDLoad is to tune environment for picky games to make them work on later accelerated Amigas. So if there is a WHDLoad version - you have to prefer it for better results.

Lroby74
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Lroby74 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:42 pm

I have the Mister with the 32mb SDRAM module and I put back the Minimig Aga core dated 23 September 2019 and it works perfectly with Monkey Island 1 (not tried Rygar Aga or Pinball Illusions Aga yet), while a friend told me that on his Mister with 128mb sdram it Monkey Island 1 works perfectly and he is thinking that probably the lastest Minimig cores may has been tested with the most recent 128mb sdram module only, which apart from the amount of ram on board, is not technically identical to the 32 mb one.

Probably at this point the solutions could be either buy and install 128mb sdram module or continue to use the old 23 september core
Last edited by Lroby74 on Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Threepwood
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Threepwood » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:53 pm

I have 128MB RAM and both, the floppy version on an Amiga 500 config and the WHDLoad version on an Amiga 1200 look fine. I use the latest public version of all cores via updater script.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:01 pm

Lroby74 wrote:I have the Mister with the 32mb SDRAM module and I put back the Minimig Aga core dated 23 September 2019 and it works perfectly with Monkey Island 1 (not tried Rygar Aga or Pinball Illusions Aga yet), while a friend told me that on his Mister with 128mb sdram it Monkey Island 1 works perfectly and has is thinking that probably the lastest Minimig cores may has been tested with the most recent 128mb sdram module only, which apart from the amount of ram on board, is not technically identical to the 32 mb one.

Probably at this point the solutions could be either buy and install 128mb sdram module or continue to use the old 23 september core

latest release use 57MHz for SDRAM, so any SDRAM even badly soldered (but working) will work. It's just generic timings problem in the core - mostly due to TG68K cpu.

apolkosnik
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby apolkosnik » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:03 pm

I've noticed a little weirdness the other day. When I turn off the ICache in SysInfo, the reported frequency drops in half.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:13 pm

apolkosnik wrote:I've noticed a little weirdness the other day. When I turn off the ICache in SysInfo, the reported frequency drops in half.

Sysinfo never detects correct clock in Minimig. By disabling the cache the performance drops a lot. So it may affect the clock detection.

Return to “MiSTer”